News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

I was given Venison...

Started by Suu, December 04, 2012, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

And a very practical demonstration of what I learned in Earth Sciences class in middle school:  "Heat flows from Source to Sink".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 06, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
And a very practical demonstration of what I learned in Earth Sciences class in middle school:  "Heat flows from Source to Sink".

Indeed.  He was bubbling over with geekspiration when he'd realized what he'd done (why he had to realize it is beyond me, he's a PhD in biochemistry).  My mother wasn't as enthusiastic.  I wanted to fix shit and get the fridge open(I had this brilliant idea, see...), but my mother had utterly had it with males in our family by that point, so she sent me out to play in the woods instead.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2012, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: hølist on December 06, 2012, 02:32:51 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2012, 12:01:43 AM
Quote from: holist~ on December 05, 2012, 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2012, 04:44:53 PM
You could put it in a bag and cook it at a really low temperature.

All the great chefs do that.

AUTOCLAVE IT.

My dad did that with a canned turkey, on a Canadian research vessel, once.  True story.  It wasn't pretty, but he healed without scars.

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:

On another Thanksgiving, this one at home with us, he had had this BRILLIANT idea of buying a big-ass turkey in July (they were pretty expensive in Newfoundland, back then), and jamming it in the cryofreezer at work until October (Canada insists on jumping the gun, Thanksgiving-wise.  They even moved the 4th of July to the 1st, just to be assholes).

So he brings it home, and puts it in the fridge to thaw.  The next morning, the fridge was entirely frozen shut.  I think I was about 6-7 at this time, and I remember it being an epiphany.  Hey...Adults can fuck shit up just as much as I can.  More.  They have better resources with which to fuck shit up.

:lulz: I think I love your dad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hølist on December 06, 2012, 06:43:53 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2012, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: hølist on December 06, 2012, 02:32:51 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2012, 12:01:43 AM
Quote from: holist~ on December 05, 2012, 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2012, 04:44:53 PM
You could put it in a bag and cook it at a really low temperature.

All the great chefs do that.

AUTOCLAVE IT.

My dad did that with a canned turkey, on a Canadian research vessel, once.  True story.  It wasn't pretty, but he healed without scars.

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:

On another Thanksgiving, this one at home with us, he had had this BRILLIANT idea of buying a big-ass turkey in July (they were pretty expensive in Newfoundland, back then), and jamming it in the cryofreezer at work until October (Canada insists on jumping the gun, Thanksgiving-wise.  They even moved the 4th of July to the 1st, just to be assholes).

So he brings it home, and puts it in the fridge to thaw.  The next morning, the fridge was entirely frozen shut.  I think I was about 6-7 at this time, and I remember it being an epiphany.  Hey...Adults can fuck shit up just as much as I can.  More.  They have better resources with which to fuck shit up.

:lulz: I think I love your dad.

My dad is amazing.  He could find the ONE STREAM in Newfoundland that had NO FISH IN IT.  He made amazing kites that didn't fly.  He could repair a car to DEATH.

On the other hand, he's an amazing cook, and can make printed circuit boards dance the can-can.  Inside his areas of expertise, he can't be touched.  Those would be chemistry, electronics, and his personal ethics, which approach those of Gandhi.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Your dad sounds full of awesome.  :lulz:

Bambi has been brined, seared and is currently low and slow in the oven. Will report with results tonight.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on December 06, 2012, 09:19:34 PM
Your dad sounds full of awesome.  :lulz:

Bambi has been brined, seared and is currently low and slow in the oven. Will report with results tonight.

PICS
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

PICS!

So I brined the roast overnight in a mixture of our homebrewed hard cider, salt, pepper, and water. This afternoon I removed it from the brine, coated it with sea salt, black pepper, garlic and oregano, and pan seared each side for a few seconds to lock in the flavors.

After that, I just set it in a Pyrex with another bottle of the cider, covered it with foil and tossed it in the oven at 200*F.

I checked the internal temp at an hour, and turned the roast. I gave it another half hour, and the internal temp read 155*, so I removed it from the oven and allowed a resting period so it wouldn't dry out.

While the roast was going, I took that frying pan and deglazed it with Kraken rum. This made my house smell like a bar.

My brother suggested using cream, but I didn't have any, so I reduced the rum sauce to a drizzle.

Made some rice sprinkled with Auntie Arwen's Ghengis Khan Steppe Nomad Salt...and done.

It was very tender and juicy and not overspiced at all. I had to get over the stigma of eating Bambi, and the "Oh god, this isn't beef!" flavor I have the first couple bites every time I eat venison, but it was delicious, and very simple!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

trippinprincezz13

That looks and sounds awesome, Suu.

I have yet to try venison, but we were recently graced with some fresh moose - in steak and ground form. The burgers we made were really good, though a bit not-wanting-to-stick-together as much as beef. Have the steaks (and more ground) in the freezer for near future use. Would these steaks also likely take a bit more care in preparing than your average beef?

I know I can try to look it up too, but with all the experienced chefs here, input is always welcome  :)
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Aucoq

That looks so delicious, Suu.  I love venison.  I have an uncle who's an avid hunter.  Whenever he has a good year he usually has more meat than he can eat so he'll give me a lot of venison on Christmas.  I'll head home with a trunk full of venison chili, jerky, steaks and sausage.  Those tend to be my favorite Christmases.  :lol:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel