News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Shooting at CT Elementary School. WTF AMERICA?!

Started by Suu, December 14, 2012, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: H0list on December 18, 2012, 01:40:05 AM
Quote from: Faust on December 18, 2012, 01:38:42 AM
Quote from: H0list on December 18, 2012, 01:30:35 AM
See the thing is, if someone went fucking batshit and drove a car through a densely packed area and killed 30 people, it is obvious that he is crazy and no one is going to be calling for the banning of cars.

Or someone is serial killing people by drowning them, it's obviously because he is crazy, and no one is going to ask that pools be banned.
No one is saying a person with a gun on a shooting spree isn't crazy. I haven't commented on motivation in any way shape or form.
If commented on the restricting of access to the easiest method of implementing a killing spree and the car example does happen but is even rarer then knife or club attacks.

And you don't think that desperate people aren't going to turn to the next easiest method of causing mass harm?
Cars are easier to get access to than gun.
Correct I don't think so.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on December 18, 2012, 01:34:40 AM
Quote from: hølist on December 18, 2012, 01:33:37 AM
Quote from: Pæs on December 18, 2012, 01:17:59 AM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 18, 2012, 01:16:28 AM
Quote from: H0list on December 18, 2012, 01:15:18 AM
Accidental deaths are ok because I want to be able to swim in my pool and drive my car.

At no point have I said anything about any death being okay.  It's a stupid analogy anyway and I should have just ignored it.  Guns are for killing, pools are for swimming.  To outlaw death we'd need to outlaw living.  But you can outlaw intentional death and put up barriers to make mass intentional death more difficult.
SOMEONE SHOULD OUTLAW INTENTIONAL DEATH.
:argh!:

I'M SURPRISED NOBODY HAS DONE THAT YET!  :?

Isn't suicide illegal? Does that count?

It is and in most cases it will stop your family getting life insurance.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on December 18, 2012, 01:42:26 AM
Accidental deaths are ok because I want to be able to swim in my pool and drive my car.

At no point have I said anything about any death being okay.  It's a stupid analogy anyway and I should have just ignored it.  Guns are for killing, pools are for swimming.  To outlaw death we'd need to outlaw living.  But you can outlaw intentional death and put up barriers to make mass intentional death more difficult.

Which is retarded.  Because in most cases, suicide is death by mental illness.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes, and also so does murder.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I don't think anyone in my family has insurance for anything. Cuts too far into the booze budget, that does. Must suck for other people, though.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: hølist on December 18, 2012, 01:44:16 AM

Yes, and also so does murder.

Pssh. Only certain types of murder.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 18, 2012, 01:44:05 AM

Which is retarded.  Because in most cases, suicide is death by mental illness.
I don't understand where the law came from. I heard a myth that it was because of all the wall street bankers jumping after the crash so their families would get the payment and not be broke but its policy world wide.

AFK

Quote from: Sita on December 18, 2012, 01:37:48 AM
As I said before, The way my brain works is that if you are gonna kill someone it doesn't matter what you use.

So what I'm getting from the anti-gun crowd is that even though you can kill someone with anything, you could possibly not kill as many as fast if that thing isn't a gun.
Also that most people who use a gun to kill wouldn't bother if they didn't have that method.

Now I've thought about it since it was mentioned, and it just may be some flaw with me, but I just can't see anyone that takes the time to get a gun (plus a vest in some cases) being deterred from the time it takes to make a bomb or practice with a knife or whatever.

good god, I get distracted and forget to hit post and like 20 replies go by....still gonna post anyway

If his fantasy was to kill a lot of kids with guns he isn't going to be satisfied if all he has is a knife.  If it is harder for him to get guns, that is more time for a possible intervention which would avert the tragedy all together.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Pæs

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 18, 2012, 01:52:15 AM
Quote from: Sita on December 18, 2012, 01:37:48 AM
As I said before, The way my brain works is that if you are gonna kill someone it doesn't matter what you use.

So what I'm getting from the anti-gun crowd is that even though you can kill someone with anything, you could possibly not kill as many as fast if that thing isn't a gun.
Also that most people who use a gun to kill wouldn't bother if they didn't have that method.

Now I've thought about it since it was mentioned, and it just may be some flaw with me, but I just can't see anyone that takes the time to get a gun (plus a vest in some cases) being deterred from the time it takes to make a bomb or practice with a knife or whatever.

good god, I get distracted and forget to hit post and like 20 replies go by....still gonna post anyway

If his fantasy was to kill a lot of kids with guns he isn't going to be satisfied if all he has is a knife.  If it is harder for him to get guns, that is more time for a possible intervention which would avert the tragedy all together.
Similarly if he had a fantasy to kill a lot of kids with a car, he probably wouldn't mind about gun restrictions.

Faust

All I ever hear about is this spate of mass car massacres, it's literally non stop. So many people are doing it.
Wait did I say cars? I meant guns.

Pæs

I don't know why I seem to be arguing for guns. I'm not actually much of a fan. I just haven't found any lulzy pro-gun comments to respond to.

I mean, "Man, remember back before there were guns when nobody ever killed anybody else?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Faust on December 18, 2012, 01:58:43 AM
All I ever hear about is this spate of mass car massacres, it's literally non stop. So many people are doing it.

You mean the terrible multicar pile ups that happen? Or the constant death by auto that happen?

Oh that's right.

Deaths that accidental and one at a time are not as bad, even if there are more of them, than a whole bunch at once.

Faust

Quote from: H0list on December 18, 2012, 02:05:05 AM

You mean the terrible multicar pile ups that happen? Or the constant death by auto that happen?

Oh that's right.

Deaths that accidental and one at a time are not as bad, even if there are more of them, than a whole bunch at once.
Dude I don't but that, roger posted the road death rate and the gun death rate, there was a 9% difference, that's insane, I couldn't believe gun deaths were so close to it.

Pæs

I'm changing teams. Guns should be restricted before cars because improvements to guns make them more deadly while improvements to cars make them safer, making both the deadliness of guns and the safety of cars functions of time.

The sooner we restrict gun ownership, the safer the guns will be.
The later we restrict vehicle ownership, the safer the vehicles will be.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Faust on December 18, 2012, 02:07:46 AM
Quote from: H0list on December 18, 2012, 02:05:05 AM

Oh that's right.

Dude I don't but that, roger posted the road death rate and the gun death rate, there was a 9% difference, that's insane, I couldn't believe gun deaths were so close to it.

Yes, and?

You are still stating that the death by auto are acceptable because they are stretched over the course of the year, or aren't a massacre. From my viewpoint, you are equating lots of death at once being worse the the same number or more deaths over the course of a year.