News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

How best to describe Discordianism to the unaware?

Started by Patron Saint, December 17, 2012, 05:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. MumboJumbo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 06:56:49 PM
I think I am now disappointed in Steve.

:|

I'm out.

Aw, sorry to disappoint you. On the(my) plus side, it's better than having you be indifferent towards me.   :sad:
Loading...Please Wait

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 07:12:54 PM

I'm out.

Aw, sorry to disappoint you. On the(my) plus side, it's better than having you be indifferent towards me.   :sad:

Um, it's exactly what you get.  I expected better things out of you than some simple-minded passive-aggressive crap, and you didn't deliver. 

I don't know what I was thinking, expecting anything else.

In any case, do what you Like.  I'm going to go do something else now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mr. MumboJumbo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 07:16:26 PM
Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 07:12:54 PM

I'm out.

Um, it's exactly what you get.  I expected better things out of you than some simple-minded passive-aggressive crap, and you didn't deliver. 

I don't know what I was thinking, expecting anything else.

In any case, do what you Like.  I'm going to go do something else now.

I was raised by Facebooks! Have a heart you heartless bastard.
Loading...Please Wait

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 04:44:04 PM
I'm not saying you shouldn't evangelize or go witlessing.  I'm saying it's better if you show them the skull behind the smile RIGHT UP FRONT so that they can't complain about false advertising later.  Also, if you make it JUST LIKE WHAT THEY ALREADY HAVE, then what the hell reason would they have for joining, unless they think it's a chance for more stupid word games?

Discordia just works better if you've got your pants around your ankles and your crazy hanging out.

I didn't at all mean we should misrepresent it as something it's not, just to customize the approach depending on the target, IF the act of 'describing Discordia' has anything to do with the desire to increase recruitment. And even if it seems like false advertizing now, it won't if they actually 'get it' later. If they don't...fuck'em. If someone's going to give the coyote shit for leading them on a wild goose chase and ignore what the exercise taught them, then they probably weren't meant for it. Hey even if they get pissed, they'll probably advertize their distaste, and advertizing is good.

I don't believe in proselytizing, and I can't for the life of me imagine going evangelical Discordian.

If I am responsible for people converting, it's because I'm myself, and I'm so fucking awesome that people look at me and say "I wish I was having that much fun".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 15, 2013, 09:20:34 PM
I don't believe in proselytizing, and I can't for the life of me imagine going evangelical Discordian.

For one thing, it seems like work.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 06:46:30 PM
Are there any threads here that haven't been reduced to FB bashing yet? I mean I'm new here, but you guys seem obsessed.  :evil:

All of them other than this one. Maybe you would know that if you bothered to read any of the others.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 09:21:54 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 15, 2013, 09:20:34 PM

For one thing, it seems like work.

Seriously. Like I don't get enough of that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 15, 2013, 09:22:05 PM
Are there any threads here that haven't been reduced to FB bashing yet? I mean I'm new here, but you guys seem obsessed.  :evil:

All of them other than this one. Maybe you would know that if you bothered to read any of the others.

There's only 17752 threads.  3 of them mention Facebook Discordians.

That's 0.00689% of everything we talk about.

I think I have to UNG now.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

Mr. MumboJumbo

I like teasing the Rev here and there, just because I can, and it's my way of loving him, like his hate is his way of loving me. Also because I think the shake-up over at FB is slightly misguided in some respects...

The particular group being used as the example of FB Discordianism is "The Discordian Society". It's fallen apart in the last few years, mostly through a complete lack of moderation (we're currently being spammed by a homeless, Jesus loving retard who's running for Mayor (of MY CITY!)).

EventGasm hapenned, and most left to the other, Cramulus run Discordian group(s). The void was filled with all sorts of people who may or may not even know what Discordianism is. Many just regard that place as a platform for them to push the limits of what is conventionally considered tasteful. The beef should be with the NAME of the group or the lack of direction. Really it should be called  "Discordianish-types-fucking-around-with-no-purpose-and-shooting-the-shit" or something. Using that group as 'the' example of FB Discordianism is just too easy. Hate the spiders, but focus on whoever left the window open and make them stop. Either that or make yourselves a permanent figure there and be the gatekeepers (most haters come and then disappear).

And I like the idea brought up (lost the thread) about you guys attacking it all at once. That sounds like more fun than a treeful of monkeys. Or get together and make a new bad-ass group. I dunno.

Hello M. Nigel Salt BTW, nice to meet you.
Loading...Please Wait

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 09:56:56 PM

I like teasing the Rev here and there, just because I can, and it's my way of loving him, like his hate is his way of loving me. Also because I think the shake-up over at FB is slightly misguided in some respects...

The particular group being used as the example of FB Discordianism is "The Discordian Society". It's fallen apart in the last few years, mostly through a complete lack of moderation (we're currently being spammed by a homeless, Jesus loving retard who's running for Mayor (of MY CITY!)).

EventGasm hapenned, and most left to the other, Cramulus run Discordian group(s). The void was filled with all sorts of people who may or may not even know what Discordianism is. Many just regard that place as a platform for them to push the limits of what is conventionally considered tasteful. The beef should be with the NAME of the group or the lack of direction. Really it should be called  "Discordianish-types-fucking-around-with-no-purpose-and-shooting-the-shit" or something. Using that group as 'the' example of FB Discordianism is just too easy. Hate the spiders, but focus on whoever left the window open and make them stop. Either that or make yourselves a permanent figure there and be the gatekeepers (most haters come and then disappear).

And I like the idea brought up (lost the thread) about you guys attacking it all at once. That sounds like more fun than a treeful of monkeys. Or get together and make a new bad-ass group. I dunno.

Hello M. Nigel Salt BTW, nice to meet you.

:lulz: I like how you're under the impression that I'm not familiar with the group or its history.

Nice to meet you too, Steve. Carry on.

AFK

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 03:58:10 PM
I've been thinking a lot lately (for a slug) on how to approach this issue more effectively. I think it's important to 'be the fish' before going fishing. There's so many aspects to Discordianism that it's easy to confuse/amuse people, but that's not going work as well as appealing to their fears/desires. Give people what they want to hear, and they'll pick up the rest later, in their own way.

Right now, in a general sense (it should be tailored to each fish if possible), I'm chosing to describe Discordianism as a means of increasing empathy, open-mindedness, expanding perceptions...partly through understanding/accepting strife and making it turn it's frown upside-down. In this way I provide some part of their unconscious a promise for betterment, and a cure for woes.
The method of fishing can change, because Discordianism has so many aspects at it's disposal that we just need to pull out what's appropriate to whoever we're targeting...tell the Hippies it's all about love and weed, tell the Christians it's a way to increase their relationship with Jesus, tell the Axe Murderers it'll increase their hunting skills...etc..etc...

Is any sense being made here?

But, it isn't all about anything.  Right there you are already betraying Discordianism by trying to tie it up in a neat package which the book goes to great lengths to discourage.  And honestly, I'm worried less about converting someone so that they can say they are part of a Discordian movement.  I'd rather just have the person start to explore themselves and understand the limits and parameters they have, probably unwittingly, placed upon themselves, their lives, and the way they proceed through those lives.  Expanding vision.  Tapping back into that imagination and creativity that adulthood buried.  The label is unimportant.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Ben Shapiro

Good times are born here, and hipsters never retire here.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 06:21:49 PM
Thing is, the best method I have found to recruit people, if that's what's desired, is to go to a board like Mysticwicks or TCC...Or hell, Facebook, and then just do what I do naturally.  A certain kind of person responds to that.  Specifically, the kind of person that will horse laugh at things that normal people won't even discuss.  The kind of people who like to TAKE the piss, instead of getting pissy.

|
                       V
:peedee:

The Good Reverend Roger

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS