News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

How best to describe Discordianism to the unaware?

Started by Patron Saint, December 17, 2012, 05:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on January 16, 2013, 03:02:10 PM
QuoteHow best to describe Discordianism to the unaware?

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,28695.0.html

This is one of my all-time most favorite threads, anywhere, ever. I showed up after being gone for two months and was like "I AM UNAWARE OF WTF IS GOING ON HERE, BUT I LOVE IT".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Hell yeah. Also coyote ended up owning the shiv out of that thread
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mr. MumboJumbo

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 16, 2013, 02:04:23 AM
Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 03:58:10 PM
I've been thinking a lot lately (for a slug) on how to approach this issue more effectively. I think it's important to 'be the fish' before going fishing. There's so many aspects to Discordianism that it's easy to confuse/amuse people, but that's not going work as well as appealing to their fears/desires. Give people what they want to hear, and they'll pick up the rest later, in their own way.

Right now, in a general sense (it should be tailored to each fish if possible), I'm chosing to describe Discordianism as a means of increasing empathy, open-mindedness, expanding perceptions...partly through understanding/accepting strife and making it turn it's frown upside-down. In this way I provide some part of their unconscious a promise for betterment, and a cure for woes.
The method of fishing can change, because Discordianism has so many aspects at it's disposal that we just need to pull out what's appropriate to whoever we're targeting...tell the Hippies it's all about love and weed, tell the Christians it's a way to increase their relationship with Jesus, tell the Axe Murderers it'll increase their hunting skills...etc..etc...

Is any sense being made here?

But, it isn't all about anything.  Right there you are already betraying Discordianism by trying to tie it up in a neat package which the book goes to great lengths to discourage.  And honestly, I'm worried less about converting someone so that they can say they are part of a Discordian movement.  I'd rather just have the person start to explore themselves and understand the limits and parameters they have, probably unwittingly, placed upon themselves, their lives, and the way they proceed through those lives.  Expanding vision.  Tapping back into that imagination and creativity that adulthood buried.  The label is unimportant.

Hello Rev. What's-His-Name? (Is that Rogie-Poo or another Rev??)

I was merely offering an idea on one possible way to increase interest in
Discordianism™, if that's what someone reading might think is a worthwhile
thing to do. The question "How best to describe Discordianism™ to the
unaware?" to me implies some sort of concearn over how Discordianism™ is
portrayed/perceived. I guess I expanded on that too much (thinking more along the lines of online campaigns to increase exposure to whatever Discordianism™
may or may not be) when he/she was simply curious how others handle similar social situations in RL. I apologize if I missed the point and used that as an excuse to further my selfish, hypothetical agenda.

As for the "betraying Discordianism by trying to tie it up in a neat package" comment, I thought I was pretty clear that what I was purposing was a way of giving unaware people a way of getting interested in something which can be so very difficult to find on their own, so that they may eventually have at least a chance of learning something. Those that have no way of dipping their feet in the water on their own at least deserve to know that there's a massive ocean out there (best metaphor I can think of while very busy at work)...even if I have to tell them we're going to Disneyland as I drive to the dentist, anyone worth 'having' will understand when they grow up, but this is getting a little old, again I apologise.

Also, it's spelled Discordianism™ (from now on).

Whew! This illumination process is exhausting. Good thing I always remember to do my stretches before I log on here or I'd pull something for sure.
Loading...Please Wait

Don Coyote

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on January 16, 2013, 03:42:13 PM

It also spawned the 'Roger not even once' thread.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's What's-His-Name. Roger is still Roger.

And knock it off with the treacle, that's seriously getting old and was never funny.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 03:56:30 PM
Hello Rev. What's-His-Name? (Is that Rogie-Poo or another Rev??)

I am everyone on the internet, Stevie, except you.

And I wouldn't be too sure about you.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Wiley Quixote on January 16, 2013, 04:05:54 PM
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on January 16, 2013, 03:42:13 PM

It also spawned the 'Roger not even once' thread.

Oh fuck yes!

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 16, 2013, 04:06:41 PM

And knock it off with the treacle, that's seriously getting old and was never funny.

I disagree.  It IS funny, but not in the way he thinks.

I mean, he's the FIRST GUY EVER to come down the pike with a boner for me, and expressing that boner with condescension.  That's NEW, and has never happened before a million times.  He's an ORIGINAL and a WACKY, ZANY CHARACTER.

Just like all the others over the last 10 years.

Mr. MumboJumbo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 04:10:44 PM

I mean, he's the FIRST GUY EVER to come down the pike with a boner for me, and expressing that boner with condescension.  That's NEW, and has never happened before a million times.  He's an ORIGINAL and a WACKY, ZANY CHARACTER.

I never claimed to offer anything NEW, I just gotta be me.
Loading...Please Wait

The Good Reverend Roger

The humor is in the disconnect between what he THINKS he's accomplishing and what he actually IS accomplishing.

He THINKS he's fostering butthurt and STICKING IT TO THE MAN.

He IS coming off the like the same old, pathetic schtick that we've seen so many times.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 04:17:32 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 04:10:44 PM

I never claimed to offer anything NEW, I just gotta be me.

Well, at least peel the shrink wrap off first, scrub.

Mr. MumboJumbo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 04:18:11 PM
The humor is in the disconnect between what he THINKS he's accomplishing and what he actually IS accomplishing.

He IS coming off the like the same old, pathetic schtick that we've seen so many times.

That's only one small PART of what I think I'm fostering.
Loading...Please Wait

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 04:23:18 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 04:18:11 PM

That's only one small PART of what I think I'm fostering.

Yeah, whatever, kid.  You were right about one thing, though...Facebook fucked you up.  Borg-style.

I could go to ANY group on Facebook, cut and paste random shit into this thread in place of your responses and nobody would notice any difference.  It's the same tired shit.

If that's what you're after, then I guess I'll just throw you in the box with the others.  Not banning or anything.  It's just that nothing you say is worth reading as things stand, because what you say isn't conveying any information.  It's nothing but cookie-cutter trolling.

So yeah.  Off to "ignore" with you.

(edit for glorious spelling error)

Mr. MumboJumbo

cookie-cutter trolling?

Gawd-damned. There's no pleasing You People is there? I'll try to make my comments fit your cookie box better if that's what you require to continue my de-Facebook-afication, I just don't understand why you can't see any of the genius behind them.

The comments I make are rooted in reason, sorry if I don't have the time to describe every detail of what I'm trying to express, like I said, I'm at work and my job requires a lot of mundane concentration; my mistakes cost the company money. I'll be more careful in the future when I deal with you though if that's what you're asking of me. Now I gotta go before I get fired.
Loading...Please Wait