News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

How best to describe Discordianism to the unaware?

Started by Patron Saint, December 17, 2012, 05:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Sneaky fucking email bot.

Posts once, then begins emailing other members.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 05:00:09 PM
Example of TGRR Evangelism:

Roger:  *brings up Discordianism in conversation*

Potential Convert:  "What's that?  Isn't that some sort of cult?"

Roger:  "Yes, but we're too lazy to spike the Koolaid."

PC:  "No, seriously."

Roger:  "How many cults tell you to think for yourself, and mean it?"

PC:  "So, what IS it?"

Roger:  "It is the study of seeing the world as it really is, not as we'd LIKE it to be."

PC:  "Every religion says that."

Roger:  "But do you hear them laughing?"

PC:  "Maybe there's nothing to laugh about.  The world sucks."

Roger:  "No, the world is WEIRD.  We're here to keep it that way.  If things start getting boring, why, we just start sawing the legs off to watch it all fall over."

PC:  "So, you're anarchists?"

Roger:  "No.  Anarchists have a goal.?"

PC:  "So, you're nihilists?"

Roger:  "No, never saw the point in nihilism."

PC:  "..."

Roger:  "Been waiting to use that line for 4 years."

PC:  "You're an idiot.  I'm leaving."

Roger:  "Don't forget to write!"

See?  Easy.

Bump for ongoing project.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 05:38:00 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 16, 2013, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Hello Rev. What's-His-Name? (Is that Rogie-Poo or another Rev??)

Yes, I can assure you we are quite different Rev's. 

Balls.  I checked just last week, and you were me.

QuoteAs far as selling Discordianism, I've always been of a mind it is more important to sell the meat than the packaging.  I would rather have someone who can Think For Themselves, Schmuck without operating under a label of Discordianism, as opposed to someone who is a Discordian for the sake of being a Discordian.  It is the actual meat of the philosophies that attracted me.  Or rather, it was reading the book that gave me a label for philosophies I was already following. 

Nail/head.

QuoteAnd admittedtly, I'm a little against the grain on this site because I tend to have a more optimistic approach with this stuff,

And that's the other thing.  That's YOUR Discordia.  Mine is different...But neither is wrong.  It's like the old relativity example of dropping a golf ball out of the window of a moving car.  To the person in the car, it drops in a straight line to the ground.  To the observer outside the car, it descends in a parabolic arc.  Both are right, based on where they stand.

To the observer FURTHER down the street, the golf ball gets really big before it whacks him right between the eyes, killing him stone dead for no good reason.

And HE'S right, too.

Also bump for the same reason
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

chaotic neutral observer

I have a co-worker who's Discordian.  But he doesn't know he's Discordian, and I have no reason to tell him.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 05:00:09 PM
PC:  "So, you're nihilists?"

Roger:  "No, never saw the point in nihilism."

PC:  "..."
:lulz:
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on November 08, 2019, 12:25:09 AM
I like where this is going.....

I am in FB jail, so I am lashing together another e-book, out of sheer boredom.
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Baltshazzar the Unhinged

In 2008 I employed different methods of making it available to those I thought were already there anyway. In 2015 I was behaving in a manner that began eliciting questioning of my beliefs from people around me, and I felt obliged to explain a little of it to prove my insanity was as valid as anyone else's. But in 2020 I have random people at parties asking me to explain it and I really can't be bothered and I dare not wonder why these people keep leaping out of the woodwork. I have become a lazy Discordian. Or maybe it's just one of them those who know do not tell, and those who tell do not know things.
know more = understand less

altered

Definitely the latter. I tell everyone I meet about it, and if they want explanations I usually give a totally useless one and tell them to read Holy Nonsense. It's actually sort of surprising how many people I've sent to it who actually read the fucking thing.

It's most of them.

Speaking of which... have you read it?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Baltshazzar the Unhinged

Not for a while actually, in fact I don't believe I even have a copy or it's buried on an old drive. Speaking of books I'm interested to learn what (if any) versions of the Principia available online are decent representations of the Loompanics version hosted on this site. I've heard they're all shite?!

And yes, I think in sales they call it motivation by disinterest. It got me out of a pyramid scheme before I was wise enough to know what the fuck I had signed up for.

Actually pardon me, I was confusing Holy Nonsense with something else. I feel like I read this not long after I first started lurking. All the same, thanks for the nudge.

Bureaucracy," said Nopants, "is waiting for a red traffic light
in the middle of the night when no one is coming
know more = understand less