News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

The Compiled Rugged Individualist Conversation

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 19, 2012, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sano

People here have commented on the paradox that people buy into the idea of individualism yet are always displaying signals of being submissive to a certain community, and that it may be because of their feelings of insecurity; I think it might be something more general:

People operating under the "rugged individualism" meme do not want to live in a society (for certain definitions of "society", of course)
Not wanting to live in a society, they don't care for it.
Not caring for it, they don't pay attention to the idea.
Not paying attention to the idea, they don't know much about it.
Not knowing much about it, they can be part of one without realizing it.
And of course, if you are a part of something without even realizing that something is there you can be manipulated by it much more easily. Which explains why countries thought to be more community-oriented (Britain and Japan were cited) are less conforming: they are able to see some of the bullshit because they recognize their own community-related experiences better and are able to use that knowledge in their favor.

So the paradox does not arise from the conflict of an idea with a specific psychological reaction to it, it follows usually from the idea itself, it's a consequence of it. Does any of this make sense? :?
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

The Good Reverend Roger

I think you hit the nail right on the head, Sano.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

huh, i wonder if this is why Japan can be so socially conservative yet have some of the weirdest subcultures and entertainment. :|
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Paes screeching in the OP, is that fair game for marginalia? It wasn't clear from the thread who actually wrote it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 08, 2013, 03:57:08 PM
The Paes screeching in the OP, is that fair game for marginalia? It wasn't clear from the thread who actually wrote it.

Paes wrote it; it's a transcription of a conversation that I think went down across threads or in fragments in another thread.

Now that I think about it, it's too bad this one went down too late to make it into BIP 2013, but on the other hand, I think there's probably about enough good material that's been written since then that we might consider starting another project after BIP 2013 makes it to press.

"The Bitter Tea Revolutionary Handbook" or something like that.

LMNO

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 08, 2013, 04:09:12 PM

Paes wrote it; it's a transcription of a conversation that I think went down across threads or in fragments in another thread.

Now that I think about it, it's too bad this one went down too late to make it into BIP 2013, but on the other hand, I think there's probably about enough good material that's been written since then that we might consider starting another project after BIP 2013 makes it to press.

I like that!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 08, 2013, 04:18:38 PM

I like that!

Squeee! Time for things to start brewing...

Q. G. Pennyworth

MMIX

:nopunsplease:
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 08, 2013, 04:23:03 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 08, 2013, 04:18:38 PM

I like that!

Squeee! Time for things to start brewing...

:nopunsplease:
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

I kind of have to rant for the Bitter Tea thingie.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.