Main Menu

The Compiled Rugged Individualist Conversation

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 19, 2012, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 26, 2014, 06:41:24 PM
"Thought Leader"

Oh, that's the guy that thinks up things for other people to do, right?

"I'm more of an idea rat."
- Ratbert
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Yup.  "It would be great for the company if everyone else took a pay cut and worked weekends."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 26, 2014, 06:38:09 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 26, 2014, 06:35:31 PM
"Going Rouge".

FTFY in honor of our Sarah.

I still like "innovative", because it doesn't really MEAN anything when they say it. 

For those of you who don't spend an hour a day fucking with libertarians, "Innovation" is how they will be rich.  Details, however, are scanty.  There doesn't seem to be a plan, aside from "Invisible Hand Jesus and Innovation and can I have my Bentley now, please?"

So basically they're Underpants Gnomes.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on February 26, 2014, 06:59:44 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 26, 2014, 06:38:09 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 26, 2014, 06:35:31 PM
"Going Rouge".

FTFY in honor of our Sarah.

I still like "innovative", because it doesn't really MEAN anything when they say it. 

For those of you who don't spend an hour a day fucking with libertarians, "Innovation" is how they will be rich.  Details, however, are scanty.  There doesn't seem to be a plan, aside from "Invisible Hand Jesus and Innovation and can I have my Bentley now, please?"

So basically they're Underpants Gnomes.

Pretty much.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 26, 2014, 06:57:31 PM
Yup.  "It would be great for the company if everyone else took a pay cut and worked weekends."

That's the guy that the crew meets out in the parking lot for a little remedial "training".

Pæs

Derp. The wiki article on self-sufficiency.

QuoteThe entire population of the world was, at one time, self-sufficient. They made their own clothing, tools, weapons, boats, huts, and food. They used gathering, hunting, herding and farming to find/hunt/grow their own food. As the human population of the world grew, the wild food supply dwindled. People began to rely on herding and farming more; relying less upon gathering and hunting. In modern times, automated food production on farms makes food. The vast populations now depend on a fewer farmers to make their food for them. Many in developed nations now depend on job salaries to buy food, clothes, and shelter, rather than making these things from raw materials found in the environment. But in a few places in the world, native societies continue to be self-sufficient, never having given up their traditional ways of food gathering and food making. Because these native peoples have no jobs and make no salaries, they are often listed as unemployed.

If a community can be a 'self' for the purpose of self-sufficiency, at what point of growth and expansion of communication does the community get large enough that it's consider to be dependent on others, rather than including those others in the 'self'?

LMNO

Pæs

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

POFP

I'm just gonna go back to the original topic here:

This seems to be exactly what I needed to read, based on my confusion with my other post (rant). The thought of being alone had never occurred to me to be a negative stance, but more of a neutral stance. I've never really connected with anyone until recently, and so loneliness was never really a big deal until I read the connection that Nigel made in the OP.

Fuck, I try to take a step back and look at the biggest picture(s) I can see, but I just keep getting fed more small details that change what the bigger picture looks like.

I guess, for me, it always came down to this choice:

Do I take the time to destroy the predispositions and conditioned tendencies that have been instilled into me by the world (And neglect consequences of decisions I make because they condition/predispose me even more), and achieve transcendence through separation of the mind from the body? Or do I base everything I do off of logical reactions to the environment around me, becoming an adaptive robot?

As humans, I guess we tend to do both of these things at the same time, which causes a bit of conflict with others, as our tendencies toward one of these decisions over the others varies from person to person (Minus the occulty-stuff at the end of each decision, that shit is mine).

Or do most people do neither and contribute to the entropy of this cesspool we call a society for no reason at all? Is this the big-picture choice to be made, and is there a right answer? Am I just fucking nuts?

If I am, and you don't want to reply to this nonsense, just know I am a free-market tard, and it did piss me off.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on March 29, 2014, 10:24:22 PM

Or do most people do neither and contribute to the entropy of this cesspool we call a society for no reason at all?

Nobody does anything for "no reason at all".  They don't typically have material gain in mind most of the time, if that's what you mean.

Quote] just know I am a free-market tard,

Oh.  I hope you get better.

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 30, 2014, 12:11:09 AM
Nobody does anything for "no reason at all".  They don't typically have material gain in mind most of the time, if that's what you mean.

Yeah, I over-thought that one again.

Thanks, me too :lulz:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on March 30, 2014, 12:56:30 AM

Yeah, I over-thought that one again.

Thanks, me too :lulz:

Libertarianism/Free Market Tard is the same bad signal that makes people think communism is a good idea.  In fact, the two are more or less identical.

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 30, 2014, 02:20:32 AM
Libertarianism/Free Market Tard is the same bad signal that makes people think communism is a good idea.  In fact, the two are more or less identical.

I see why you would say that, but I think that is because we view things differently on a fundamental level. I'm ok with that though. I disagree with many people in a very similar way. We tend to get along fine now that I've come to see that.