News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Define "metal".

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 20, 2012, 07:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I can't tell what it IS, anymore.  What is called metal now doesn't seem very metal.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

EK WAFFLR

met·al  [met-l]   noun, verb, met·aled, met·al·ing or ( especially British  ) met·alled, met·al·ling.
noun
any of a class of elementary substances, as gold, silver, or copper, all of which are crystalline when solid and many of which are characterized by opacity, ductility, conductivity, and a unique luster when freshly fractured.
Chemistry .
a.
such a substance in its pure state, as distinguished from alloys.
b.
an element yielding positively charged ions in aqueous solutions of its salts.
an alloy or mixture composed wholly or partly of such substances, as brass.
an object made of metal.
formative material; stuff.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

There's an immense amount of sub-categories.  In fact, a fairly cool documentary was made recently, called "A Headbanger's Journey".  They had a chart.  I'll see if I can find it.

Something like that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holis† on December 20, 2012, 07:40:48 PM
met·al  [met-l]   noun, verb, met·aled, met·al·ing or ( especially British  ) met·alled, met·al·ling.
noun
any of a class of elementary substances, as gold, silver, or copper, all of which are crystalline when solid and many of which are characterized by opacity, ductility, conductivity, and a unique luster when freshly fractured.
Chemistry .
a.
b.
an object made of metal.

I'm not going to say that was predictable (I was waiting for "thorium"), but there are as yet undiscovered tribes in Peru that knew that was going to happen.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2012, 07:42:37 PM
Quote from: holis† on December 20, 2012, 07:40:48 PM
noun
Chemistry .
a.
b.
an object made of metal.

I'm not going to say that was predictable (I was waiting for "thorium"), but there are as yet undiscovered tribes in Peru that knew that was going to happen.

I know, I know. I need to get my game up.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO, that was a list of genres and bands, which - though helpful - doesn't offer a definition.

LMNO

1. For the most part, loud.
2. For the most part, contains at least electric guitar, electric bass, drums.
3. Not existant prior to electronic amplification/distortion.
2. For the most part, takes themselves very, very (almost ridiculously) seriously.

That's about as narrow as you can get it and still encompass everything.

EK WAFFLR

I'm trying to come up with something and I'm drawing a blank.

[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2012, 07:47:13 PM
1. For the most part, loud.
2. For the most part, contains at least electric guitar, electric bass, drums.
3. Not existant prior to electronic amplification/distortion.
2. For the most part, takes themselves very, very (almost ridiculously) seriously.

That's about as narrow as you can get it and still encompass everything.

So, The Beatles towards the end?

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, list contains Warrant.  List is invalid.

The Good Reverend Roger

EK WAFFLR

"Helter Skelter", the song was pretty metal, if not actually loud enough.

[/b]

Eater of Clowns

METAL IS THE HOARFROST FORMING ON THE TESTICLES OF THE CRIMSON DARK REAPERS THAT RIDE TO VANQUISH YOUR EARDRUMS.

METAL IS A GUITAR SCREECHING AT YOU, PUSHED TO THE PHYSICAL LIMITS OF ITS EXISTENCE, BURNING THE AIR AND SETTING YOUR CILIA ON EDGE WITH FEAR AND AWE.

METAL IS LEMMY KILMISTER.

METAL IS THE HOOVES FROM THE GRIM STEED ECHOING ON FROZEN LAKES, ITS BREATH ELECTRIC, ITS MANE SHRIVELING YOUR EYES IN ITS FULLNESS AND GLORY AND VIRILITY.

METAL IS BAD HAIRCUTS AND LOUD NOISES AND LEATHER, LOTS OF STUDDED LEATHER, AND CORPSEPAINT AND BOOTS AND SHARP THINGS, SHARP THINGS EVERYWHERE AND GUTTURAL, ANGRY VOCALS AND NO SOUL, NO SOUL AT ALL BECAUSE IT HASN'T BEEN SOLD IT'S BEEN RENOUNCED IN RAGE AND PASSION AND PASSION FOR RAGE AND IT'S DENIM.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Metal is a Leather Daddy Gay Bar?