News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

You can't beat the system?

Started by P3nT4gR4m, December 21, 2012, 10:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on December 29, 2012, 04:57:37 PM
You know, the problem with devout scientism followers is that when a "science" is debunked and is relegated to the status of a pseudo-science they just turn round and say that it was never a "real scotsman science" to begin with. Not only is that Win/Win for their side but it tends to obscure the [I want to say fact but I'll stick to] issue that not all "science" as performed  by human actors is as good as the best.

Interesting that you use the example of the computer. While not disputing that there is science involved in computing I would actually place the PC firmly in the maths, technology and engineering camp;  just a thought.

There is definitely what you could call "bad" science, that's anything from carelessly researched, poorly written, or deliberately misleading. Check out Ben Goldacre's website: http://www.badscience.net/ there's a link to his TED talk there too.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 29, 2012, 05:35:45 PM
You know, the problem with devout scientism followers is that when a "science" is debunked and is relegated to the status of a pseudo-science they just turn round and say that it was never a "real scotsman science" to begin with. Not only is that Win/Win for their side but it tends to obscure the [I want to say fact but I'll stick to] issue that not all "science" as performed  by human actors is as good as the best.

Interesting that you use the example of the computer. While not disputing that there is science involved in computing I would actually place the PC firmly in the maths, technology and engineering camp;  just a thought.

There is definitely what you could call "bad" science, that's anything from carelessly researched, poorly written, or deliberately misleading. Check out Ben Goldacre's website: http://www.badscience.net/ there's a link to his TED talk there too.
Lol, thats where I was just before I wrote that. Good link
ETA This one is quite fun from a UK perspective http://www.dcscience.net/?p=4615
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on December 29, 2012, 05:47:51 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 29, 2012, 05:35:45 PM

Lol, thats where I was just before I wrote that. Good link

ETA This one is quite fun from a UK perspective http://www.dcscience.net/?p=4615

Oooh, nice! Thanks for the link!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sano

Quote from: MMIX on December 29, 2012, 04:57:37 PMInteresting that you use the example of the computer. While not disputing that there is science involved in computing I would actually place the PC firmly in the maths, technology and engineering camp;  just a thought.

There wouldn't be a pc in the world if we didn't know what electricity is and how it behaves. Same for the behavior of all the different materials involved in the construction of one.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

MMIX

Quote from: Sano on December 30, 2012, 12:56:46 AM
Quote from: MMIX on December 29, 2012, 04:57:37 PMInteresting that you use the example of the computer. While not disputing that there is science involved in computing I would actually place the PC firmly in the maths, technology and engineering camp;  just a thought.

There wouldn't be a pc in the world if we didn't know what electricity is and how it behaves. Same for the behavior of all the different materials involved in the construction of one.

I would suggest that it is not so much about "knowing what electricity is and how it behaves" as it is about applying technological constraints to electricity, (which after all does exist in its wild form in nature,) to produce outcomes which are advantageous to humans. Interestingly humans are the primary materials involved in the construction of PCs.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber