News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Well, HELLO, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 25, 2013, 08:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Wuli Fufu on January 25, 2013, 10:06:04 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2013, 08:07:22 PM
Wow.

Quote"Guilt is not one-sided," Indian spiritual leader Asaram Bapu, told followers earlier in the week, adding that if the woman had pleaded with her six attackers in God's name, and told them she was of the "weaker sex," they would have relented, Reuters reported.

Mohan Bhagwat, a conservative pro-Hindu politician, weighed in with his view that rape occurs only in Indian cities, because women there adopt western lifestyles, but not in rural India.

But that view is contradicted by data, Reuters reported, citing the National Commission for Women, which has documented a pattern of gang rape and sexual humiliation of lower caste women in rural India.

I could be wrong here, but every instinct I have says that if you're about to get raped, stomped or otherwise brutalized, pleading will get you fucking killed.

It certainly hasn't worked in any account I've heard of.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 25, 2013, 10:07:08 PM
Wow.

Quote"Guilt is not one-sided," Indian spiritual leader Asaram Bapu, told followers earlier in the week, adding that if the woman had pleaded with her six attackers in God's name, and told them she was of the "weaker sex," they would have relented, Reuters reported.

Mohan Bhagwat, a conservative pro-Hindu politician, weighed in with his view that rape occurs only in Indian cities, because women there adopt western lifestyles, but not in rural India.

But that view is contradicted by data, Reuters reported, citing the National Commission for Women, which has documented a pattern of gang rape and sexual humiliation of lower caste women in rural India.

I could be wrong here, but every instinct I have says that if you're about to get raped, stomped or otherwise brutalized, pleading will get you fucking killed.

NOT ACTUALLY THE POINT.

What Assram Wossname was trying to say is, "YOU GOT RAPED BECAUSE YOU WERE UPPITY.  YOU DESERVE IT BECAUSE YOU WERE INSUFFICIENTLY SUBSERVIENT.  GOD SAYS SO."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2013, 10:28:56 PM
Wow.

NOT ACTUALLY THE POINT.

What Assram Wossname was trying to say is, "YOU GOT RAPED BECAUSE YOU WERE UPPITY.  YOU DESERVE IT BECAUSE YOU WERE INSUFFICIENTLY SUBSERVIENT.  GOD SAYS SO."

Yeah.  :x :x :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

deadfong

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2013, 09:39:06 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 25, 2013, 09:38:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2013, 09:32:44 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 25, 2013, 09:23:13 PM
Holy fuck, what a wretched place.

I'm gonna qualify that:  The fact that people are spazzing the hell out over it, and that it's getting too loud to be ignored, means that while it may be a wretched place, it may not remain wretched for long.

Also, hell yes.  3" knives for everyone.

I REALLY hope it means it's getting better.

I also hope this has an effect on their caste system.

Faint hope of that, I fear.  The caste system is so deeply entrenched, I don't know what it would take to start removing it.

The fact that the protests haven't let up is good, though.  I hope it lasts - pushing changes through a government as unwieldy and corrupt as India's takes an awful lot of time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2013, 10:28:56 PM
Wow.

NOT ACTUALLY THE POINT.

Yeah. :( It's sad that there are people out there who think that way.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

It's interesting, reading some of those allegations against Asaram Bapu.  It seems tantra works functionally in Indian society in the way Satanic cultism here does...rumours of allegations about dark rituals, black magic and murder.

Not saying they're not true, just an interesting parallel.

Sir Squid Diddimus

What the crap, India.
Get your shit together. This ain't the 1500's.