News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Potato Leek Soup

Started by Pergamos, December 24, 2012, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

OK, I figure sharing a recipe is a good way to say hi.  I always find this one tasty.

This is for making in a 2 and a half gallon pot.

1 Gallon milk
2 large leeks
1 pound butter
approx 5 pounds potatoes (I don't measure them that way, I cut them until they reach a certain point in the pot, the same level as the milk reaches)
soy sauce (added to a certain color, I'll describe that in more detail in the recipe)
3 tablespoons powdered red pepper
1 clove garlic

Chop potatoes into roughly 2" cubes until they fill pot a bit less than half way, wash and then cover with water and gallon of milk, put on medium low heat

mince garlic and dice leeks, sautee in 1/4 lb butter with pepper powder over medium high heat until leeks and butter start to brown.   Stir often.  Once brown add to large pot.

Add soy sauce until there are consistent swirls of darkness but stop before the color of the soup fully changes.  Cover and cook for 1 hour.  Do not allow the soup to boil. 

Add remaining butter and cook until it is melted, stir thouroughly before serving.

cream can replace the butter in the soup to good effect.  Irish reds work well for the potato, russets are a bit starchy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sounds delicious! Also, it is an auspicious introduction, this recipe-sharing one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

Hmm, I think I'll try this the next time it's my turn to cook dinner. I've been on the lookout for a good vegetarian version of the hammy one I grew up eating, and this looks pretty good.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Pergamos

It tastes different than a traditional potato leek soup because the potatoes are chunks, not smushed into the soup, the creaminess comes from the milk and the butter instead.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 24, 2012, 05:42:21 PM
Sounds delicious! Also, it is an auspicious introduction, this recipe-sharing one.

Yeah, but I don't like him anyway.  :crankey:

Come to think of it, I don't like any of these fuckers.  With the exception of Nigel, ECH, and Richter, everyone off my planet.

Fuck that.  I'm going too.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 25, 2012, 03:39:30 AM

Come to think of it, I don't like any of these fuckers.  With the exception of Nigel, ECH, and Richter, everyone off my planet.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 25, 2012, 04:10:16 AM

I need 7 billion of those things in your avatar.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 25, 2012, 04:28:02 AM

We can probably cut a deal with a manufacturer in China.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 25, 2012, 09:41:01 AM

Hell, we can probably cut a deal with them right here. 

TGRR,
Grammar Nazi.

Signora Pæsior

I was going to correct you to 3.5 billion.

Then I thought about it.

:eek:
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Signora Pæsior on December 26, 2012, 02:20:47 AM

I was going to correct you to 3.5 billion.

Then I thought about it.

:eek:

I'm kind of equal opportunity about these sorts of things.  It can be made to work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 26, 2012, 01:58:55 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 25, 2012, 09:41:01 AM

Hell, we can probably cut a deal with them right here. 

TGRR,
Grammar Nazi.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

-Nigel, way too happy

Pergamos

Egad. I'm not sure what to think of how my innocent little recipe thread has turned out.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Pergamos on December 27, 2012, 06:51:47 AM
Egad. I'm not sure what to think of how my innocent little recipe thread has turned out.

This was basically the best possible outcome. Congratulations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on December 27, 2012, 06:51:47 AM

Well, the recipe is in place.  It seems to be a perfectly good recipe.

However, the rest of the thread would only go to waste if we didn't use it for something.  In these dark financial times, we can't allow that to happen.  Think of it as a Scotsman vacuuming the fleas off of his cat to feed to his goldfish.

Nothing gets wasted around here.