News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

The Chao-Te-Ching, just awesome!

Started by Jaidyn Casey, December 27, 2012, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaidyn Casey

My apologies if this is in the wrong area but I just really wanted to say, next to the PD and the BIP, the Chao-Te-Ching is ridiculously more profound than I ever expected.
I have been going through it and while funny, there is some serious thought that is put into it that I suspect allot of people overlook.
I am still going through it all but so far, my fave chapter is #13. To quote:

Having and not having
both create frustration.
"Possessing" always comes served with a golden apple.
Being "The Prettiest One" cultivates pride and makes others
ugly.
Not being "The Prettiest One" cultivates envy and leads to
war.
Expand your definition of Self to include the Universe;
This way you can have it all with nothing to lose.

You know, I used to consider myself a philosophical Taoist, and this may sound silly of me to say but I will risk it and just flat out admit I find this better for myself than the original Tao-Te-Ching. How has everyone else been impacted by this book if they have and which chapter/s most speak to you?

And thank you to the authors of this book. Being new to Discordia, it really is awesome to have it.
Having and not having
both create frustration.
"Possessing" always comes served with a golden apple.
Being "The Prettiest One" cultivates pride and makes others ugly.
Not being "The Prettiest One" cultivates envy and leads to war.
Expand your definition of Self to include the Universe;
This way you can have it all with nothing to lose.
- "Chao Te Ching" Chapter 13

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I, too, like it better than the Tao Te Ching... the authors really shone, in my opinion. I pull out bits to quote to my friends all the time. I need to order a hardcopy!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

On behalf of the authors, it's really gratifying to hear someone you don't really know compliment your work.  Thank you for that.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 27, 2012, 10:53:16 PM
I need to order a hardcopy!

Yes, yes you do.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/omar-khayyam-ravenhurst/the-chao-te-ching/paperback/product-18759432.html

All proceeds* go to keeping the PD servers running.  So get all your friends to buy one, as well!

*My half, at least.  I have no idea what Cram's doing with his half.

CentrifugalSalt

I might actually buy it, instead of just finding it for free online like I always do with books. I've been reading it and it's really great. It's just as absurdly funny as the PD and "enlightening" (or something like that) as the Tao Te Ching.

LMNO

It's free online as well.  I'm sort of obligated to say that, due to Creative Commons issues.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Sacred_Chao_Te_Ching

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 28, 2012, 07:58:31 PM
It's free online as well.  I'm sort of obligated to say that, due to Creative Commons issues.

But it's Holier™ if you buy it, because it helps pay for this site.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2012, 07:59:06 PM

And would a man as full of Holy™ as TGRR ever lie to you?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 28, 2012, 08:01:06 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2012, 07:59:06 PM

And would a man as full of Holy™ as TGRR ever lie to you?

Of course I wouldn't.  And I've got Holy™ falling out of every orifice.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 28, 2012, 01:08:16 PM
On behalf of the authors, it's really gratifying to hear someone you don't really know compliment your work.  Thank you for that.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 27, 2012, 10:53:16 PM
I need to order a hardcopy!

Yes, yes you do.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/omar-khayyam-ravenhurst/the-chao-te-ching/paperback/product-18759432.html

All proceeds* go to keeping the PD servers running.  So get all your friends to buy one, as well!

*My half, at least.  I have no idea what Cram's doing with his half.

I just tried to buy it and was thwarted by an error. I'll try again later though!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Thanks!  I should find a way to autograph some of these.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 28, 2012, 08:21:29 PM
Thanks!  I should find a way to autograph some of these.

Duuuuude

I'd pay extra for that. Not kidding.

LMNO

I was thinking of just buying a bunch of copies for myself, and then just ask for cost + S&H.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel