News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

High tech "primitive" sci-fi

Started by Buckaroo Banzai, October 11, 2013, 05:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 08:53:16 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 16, 2013, 08:52:09 PM
This thread actually reminded me of a story idea i had: the concepts was there was a highly intelligent insectile race, with the intellect, drive and will to create advanced technology, but no concept of society. they are born alone, raise themselves, feed themselves, teach  themselves and whatever they create in their lifetime is ultimately lost, because it either goes unfinished or is looted by some other insect who wants their raw materials for their own project. Basically it's what a race of people would LITERALLY have to be in order to truly be everything that RUGGED INDIVIDUALISTS claim to be.

If they don't pass on their knowledge to others, they don't get past the "picking up a sharp rock" stage.

They could if they were phenomenally intelligent or phenomenally durable and long-lived
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Faust

Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai on October 11, 2013, 05:17:29 AM
So I've nurtured an interest in science fiction that presents a non-western aesthetic and culture since childhood. Like any good nerd I love Star Trek, BSG, yadda yadda yadda, but watching the original Star Wars trilogy and Dune really captivated my imagination and sent me into a tizzy of ".......I want to go to there." I dug the Otherness of their worlds. A couple of nights ago I watched the new Will Smith picture "After Earth" (I know) and it was, as you may well have imagined, a Godawful double serving of abortion-cobbler (I KNOW!) but recognized that wondrous paleo-future vibe and makes my little heart as gay as springtime. Gone were the mandatory automatic doors which adorn every good, stale and sanitized spaceship in the galaxy and instead in their place were hanging palm leaves standing as barrier between the chambers. And with that an old flame within me was reignited. Does anyone else know of any novels, movies, or tv shows that don't follow the path laid out by Clark and Roddenberry and instead opted to go with a more tribalistic (primitive is a culturally biased as fuck term but it does evoke what I'm going for) interpretation of humanities future amongst the stars? I'd also adore anything Asiatic, Middle Eastern, or whatever. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.  :wink:

Lexx. It features the most powerfully destructive ship in sci-fi.

It also features sexualisation of both the male and female characters, which the semi autistic sexless genre that is sci-fi fails to do.

Bonus clip: Robot lovin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX_CluTr_qc
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 20, 2013, 09:50:44 PM
This thread actually reminded me of a story idea i had: the concepts was there was a highly intelligent insectile race, with the intellect, drive and will to create advanced technology, but no concept of society. they are born alone, raise themselves, feed themselves, teach  themselves and whatever they create in their lifetime is ultimately lost, because it either goes unfinished or is looted by some other insect who wants their raw materials for their own project. Basically it's what a race of people would LITERALLY have to be in order to truly be everything that RUGGED INDIVIDUALISTS claim to be.

If they don't pass on their knowledge to others, they don't get past the "picking up a sharp rock" stage.

They could if they were phenomenally intelligent or phenomenally durable and long-lived
Yea, in my mind i picture them looking sort of like the collectors from Mass Effect but with a shiny, obsidian, beetle like carapace. They're so durable that there's not many animals on their planet that can pierce their shells. As for life span, i hadn't decided if they should live for over a century, or just have a really stable population since they're sorta "reborn" when they die, remembering much of what their parent learned, if not the firsthand experiences.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

All the combined knowledge of millions of people has taken us thousands of years to get this far. I think that one dude achieving much by way of technology all by itself, even if it lived for centuries, is pretty unbelievable. Cooperation and culture, essential components of being social animals, are largely responsible for our level of technological achievement. Furthermore, our large and complex social groups are responsible for our intelligence in the first place. There's no real reason for a solitary animal to develop a high level of intellect.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 22, 2013, 01:17:40 AM

All the combined knowledge of millions of people has taken us thousands of years to get this far. I think that one dude achieving much by way of technology all by itself, even if it lived for centuries, is pretty unbelievable. Cooperation and culture, essential components of being social animals, are largely responsible for our level of technological achievement. Furthermore, our large and complex social groups are responsible for our intelligence in the first place. There's no real reason for a solitary animal to develop a high level of intellect.

Yep.  The trick is accumulated knowledge.  People in the middle ages were smarter than us, which should be reasonably obvious.  But without that accumulated knowledge, we remember them as hod-carriers and filthy peasants, with the occasional psychopath in mail armor.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 22, 2013, 01:17:40 AM

All the combined knowledge of millions of people has taken us thousands of years to get this far. I think that one dude achieving much by way of technology all by itself, even if it lived for centuries,

I agree with this as written. It could however achieve centuries worth of technology if it lived for centuries. (or thousands of years worth if it lived for thousands of years).

Especially if, as I said before, they were much smarter than humans.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 28, 2013, 02:12:24 AM

All the combined knowledge of millions of people has taken us thousands of years to get this far. I think that one dude achieving much by way of technology all by itself, even if it lived for centuries,

I agree with this as written. It could however achieve centuries worth of technology if it lived for centuries. (or thousands of years worth if it lived for thousands of years).

Sure.

But most high technology is also socially driven. Communication and travel technologies, for example. Medical technologies.

And again, the reason all highly intelligent species we have so far observed developed their giant brains is specifically because they are social, which requires far more complex levels of processing than solitary survival. So I would find it impossible to suspend disbelief.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 28, 2013, 04:30:38 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 28, 2013, 02:12:24 AM

Sure.

But most high technology is also socially driven. Communication and travel technologies, for example. Medical technologies.

And again, the reason all highly intelligent species we have so far observed developed their giant brains is specifically because they are social, which requires far more complex levels of processing than solitary survival. So I would find it impossible to suspend disbelief.

What if they had an intelligent social species somewhere in their evolutionary background?

Chelagoras The Boulder

Yea, the point of the allegory is the value of society, as well as imagining a divergent evolutionary path from our own. These creatures could achieve so much if they could work and live together, yet because of the way they evolved, their potential is squandered bickering over resources and wasting their entire lives trying to accomplish things on their own they could easily do if they had that millions of years of societal knowledge to draw from. Their planets are littered with unfinished projects: journals written in languages only one person ever spoke, machines built from scrapped parts from other machines that built from scrapped parts etc. the net result of their efforts is that their planet looks like its covered in ruins, only they move about and change because the individuals aren't done with them yet. Also consider the possibility that as insects they could have much faster metabolisms than mammals so that they can get more done per lifetime than we might.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In the hands of a skilled enough writer, anything could work. What-ifs are the domain of science fiction, after all.