News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Fifty years for downloading academic articles?

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, January 15, 2013, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wuli Fufu on January 15, 2013, 05:00:28 PM
Kafkaville, apparently.  :x

Yeah, and nobody else sees that.  This is what people WANTED, or they wouldn't PAY FOR IT.

So, when they suddenly snap out of it, naked on the highway with mice up their arses, I don't feel very sorry for them. 

Also, you'd have never seen Mohammed Ali or MLK or Gandhi kill themselves.  Fuck no.

Doktor's diagnosis:

1.  The district attorney is an asshole.
2.  The "activist" is an asshole.
3.  Everyone's an asshole.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

It also occurs to me that I don't remember MLK or Gandhi pleading "not guilty" to ANYTHING.

Anna Mae Bollocks

When old time activists killed themselves, they did it with FIRE like those Vietnamese monks.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wuli Fufu on January 15, 2013, 05:12:29 PM
When old time activists killed themselves, they did it with FIRE like those Vietnamese monks.

Point. 

Cain

The Secret Service were looking to "make hay" out of Aaron Swartz, in hope of making an example of him.

It's a true tragedy he ended up taking his own life, and I can't see any way in which the pressure on him from the farce of a legal system in the US, which lets bankers who launder money for terrorists and state-backed tortuerers walk free, could not have contributed to his decision to take his own life, regardless of any other reason.

Swartz was a true philanthropist and innovator, and the world is a little bit worse off for his absence.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 15, 2013, 05:13:10 PM
The Secret Service were looking to "make hay" out of Aaron Swartz, in hope of making an example of him.

And that's odd, given that they usually just fabricate shit when they need an example.

QuoteIt's a true tragedy he ended up taking his own life, and I can't see any way in which the pressure on him from the farce of a legal system in the US, which lets bankers who launder money for terrorists and state-backed tortuerers walk free, could not have contributed to his decision to take his own life, regardless of any other reason.

Again, which country was he in?  None of this shit was unknown when he went hacking.  Is it RIGHT?  Fuck no.  Is it the way things ARE?  Yes. 

QuoteSwartz was a true philanthropist and innovator, and the world is a little bit worse off for his absence.

Well, I'd rather have him around than the DA.  Or the bankers you mention.

Junkenstein

Very strange. Were the huge jail terms even likely? I would have thought he would have been quite optimistic about his situation. If nothing else he could pretty much ensure any of his opinions or statements would reach a substantial audience, and if the sentence was draconian, use that public voice to do something.

Either way, let the conspiracy theories begin.

I bet Zuckerberg did it. Shifty bastard.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

The jail terms were unlikely, but he would have gone bankrupt trying to fight it.

Cain

And given Swartz was not exactly poor (he made his first million before he was 20, I believe), that should just show how fucked anyone would be in his position.

Cain

Prosecutors knew Swartz was a suicide risk

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/01/15/humanity-deficit/bj8oThPDwzgxBSHQt3tyKI/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

This, predictably, did not cause them to change their methods or the proposed penalties for his acts.

Of course, this should come as no surprise to a judicial system who uses the suicidal nature of a suspect they have been pressuring for three years as reason for painting him as a greater security threat.