News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Unlimited "Guns, Fuck Yeah!" Thread

Started by AFK, January 20, 2013, 12:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:08:34 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 04:06:54 AM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:05:02 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 04:01:54 AM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:00:46 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 20, 2013, 03:58:05 AM
Ok, TGRR is on to something. FAMILIARITY is key when dealing with machinery. I learned guns when I was 11, with a .22 rifle, shooting at bottles. It was POUNDED into my head that I should only point the gun at things I wanted to shoot and/or kill. There was a CONSTANT message of respect and danger. And this was a .22 for fuck's sake!

Later, around 13 or so, I started up with shotguns. And holy fuck, if you messed up on the range, you were done for the day.

I think if proper gun respect was taught, rather than restriction, there MIGHT be fewer accidental deaths.

I realize I'm vaccilating here, but this is one of those things.

Yes, but of course, Newton wasn't accidental, and, was at the hands of a guy who very clearly had that familiarity.

So, it's your position that rights should be repealed based on worst-case scenarios?

Really?  Because we could have a little fun with that concept.

Repeal what?  Banning certain types of weapons doesn't repeal a damn thing.

Well, other than the 2nd amendment, which states that "the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed"

IE, to be touched upon in any way.

It doesn't, you are still free to bear arms.

Nope.  That right would be violated by the infringement imposed by the qualifiers you propose.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Ok, that gets back to that forgotten post about the text of the 2nd amendment.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 20, 2013, 04:10:06 AM
Ok, that gets back to that forgotten post about the text of the 2nd amendment.

What's so hard about that?  It's clear as day to anyone who learned how to parse a sentence in 5th grade English.

QuoteA well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

There's two clauses, the explanitory:

QuoteA well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state,

"Here's WHY we're doing it.", and the declaratory clause:

Quotethe right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

"WHAT we're doing."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

Gun regulation is not infringement, and fuck, even back in the colonial days there were gun regulations.  Registries of gunowners, for example.  It was never intended to be an open-ended thing. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:13:54 AM
Gun regulation is not infringement, and fuck, even back in the colonial days there were gun regulations.  Registries of gunowners, for example.  It was never intended to be an open-ended thing.

Sure it's an infringement.  You wish to outlaw certain types of weapons, based on a media frenzy.  That's certainly an infringement.

And yes, it was sure as hell intended to be open-ended.  That's why they put the bit in about "shall not be infringed".

AFK

20 dead kids is fucking reality, 87 people dying a day from gun violence is fucking reality, it's not "media frenzy".

And Mr. Jones with his armory in his basement is only a "militia" in his own mind.  And I sure as fuck want to make sure he is "well regulated".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:17:30 AM
20 dead kids is fucking reality, 87 people dying a day from gun violence is fucking reality, it's not "media frenzy".

And Mr. Jones with his armory in his basement is only a "militia" in his own mind.  And I sure as fuck want to make sure he is "well regulated".

It's a media frenzy.  Assault weapons would not be necessary for that much carnage.  Any single action, magazine-loaded weapon could have accomplished the same thing in that situation.  A standard 9mm automatic pistol, for example.  Hell, given the situation, a revolver would have been sufficient.  One gun involved, doesn't matter what kind you use.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:17:30 AM

1.  Yes, he is.  Mr Jones is who Madison was talking about.

2.  "Well-regulated" means "employing a standard load or cartridge".  It's a logistics term1.  Mr Jones has accomplished this.

1It's a term that's still in use.  The US military allows "well regulated" personal firearms in a combat zone.  This is defined as "a weapon that can be resupplied through available stores", to wit, 9MM, 7.62MM, 5.56MM, 12 gauge, .45, and .50 ammunition

LMNO

Well, that was the point of my post. It says "bear arms," not "bear any type of arms."

It's a fine point, to be sure. I realize, "life is hard, wear a helmet" is a reality, but I think that it's a good idea to be able to say, "life is hard, here's a helmet."

My finer points should wait until a later day, but if you saw a technicality was killing a whole bunch of innocents, wouldn't you want to correct that?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 20, 2013, 04:24:36 AM
Well, that was the point of my post. It says "bear arms," not "bear any type of arms."

It's a fine point, to be sure. I realize, "life is hard, wear a helmet" is a reality, but I think that it's a good idea to be able to say, "life is hard, here's a helmet."

My finer points should wait until a later day, but if you saw a technicality was killing a whole bunch of innocents, wouldn't you want to correct that?

That's covered by the explanatory clause, by the phrase "shall not be infringed".  It's pretty clear.

And the rule of law is nothing but "technicalities".

AFK

Yes, the right to bear arms is not being infringed because a person is still free to bear arms.  And a ban isn't taking anything away anyway, it is simply limiting what is available for purchase.  You can't take away what wasn't owned in the first place.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:29:25 AM
Yes, the right to bear arms is not being infringed because a person is still free to bear arms.  And a ban isn't taking anything away anyway, it is simply limiting what is available for purchase.  You can't take away what wasn't owned in the first place.

I think you're still having problems with the term "infringed". 

The Good Reverend Roger

There's something about the kind of person who not only interprets laws to maximize limitations on the individual, but also does so inaccurately.  I've never been able to understand it.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 04:30:08 AM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 04:29:25 AM

I think you're still having problems with the term "infringed".

I happen to think the problem lies with you and an overly liberal definition of the word. 

AFK

I mean, if you ban Gun X, all you have done is taken Gun X of the market, so Jones can no longer, legally, buy Gun X.  You haven't taken anything away from him.  He never had Gun X, he never owned it, he never "bore" it.  No infringement.

ETA:  You could grandfather those who already own Gun X.