News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Looks like I'm getting a new kid.

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 01, 2013, 08:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on February 01, 2013, 11:39:01 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 01, 2013, 11:21:36 PM
Quote from: Suu on February 01, 2013, 10:35:26 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 01, 2013, 10:30:55 PM
Thanks, guys. <3

I have yet to learn whether auntie will sign over guardianship, but I've spoken with DHS and they assure me that there are ways around it if she won't.

If she won't care enough to play the parenting role in the absence of the parents, then who better than someone actually willing?

I would just get worried about her having to go into some sort of foster custody or something, but I don't know how it works.

I was concerned about that, but from speaking with DHS that won't really be a concern. The only way it would be was if she were placed in state care due to neglect, which is an issue I could force because of the abandonment, but if they won't give me guardianship the other angle is that she can file for emancipation, and then she can get food stamps and OHP under her own agency, and live with me.

How old is she, if you don't mind me asking?

She's 16.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Crap, is EFT that old already too?  :eek:

Also, at that age she should be able to have a say. I hope, anyway.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on February 02, 2013, 02:03:00 AM
Crap, is EFT that old already too?  :eek:

Also, at that age she should be able to have a say. I hope, anyway.

EFO is 15.

Legally, in Oregon she doesn't really get a "say", per se, but DHS told me that if she chooses to stay with me there isn't much anyone can do about it except call DHS, who would promptly investigate everyone involved. So, yeah. The main thing I'm worried about is being able to handle her medical and school stuff, and get her on my food stamps so I can feed her.

Suu

Well, aside from dumb phone typos on my part, I hope it works in your favors.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The biggest obstacle is to get her to a point where she believes that she can really live here and is part of the family. Backstory: Mom's in Virginia, likes to get drunk and punch her in the face. Dad's in Portland, apparently not a bad guy, but is inexplicably incapable of raising a child. So she was living with her aunt, who has legal guardianship.

She's deathly afraid of ovens, and I'm afraid to ask.

I had her over for Yule, and she about broke my heart because she said it was the first time she'd felt like part of a family for years. She is incredibly smart, sweet, responsible, and articulate.

So, yeah. I love this girl and I want to raise her if I can. She's almost grown up in some ways but I think she might be able to use a couple of extra years to make up for the ones she lost not being nurtured by anybody.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 02, 2013, 05:47:22 AM
The biggest obstacle is to get her to a point where she believes that she can really live here and is part of the family. Backstory: Mom's in Virginia, likes to get drunk and punch her in the face. Dad's in Portland, apparently not a bad guy, but is inexplicably incapable of raising a child. So she was living with her aunt, who has legal guardianship.

She's deathly afraid of ovens, and I'm afraid to ask.

I had her over for Yule, and she about broke my heart because she said it was the first time she'd felt like part of a family for years. She is incredibly smart, sweet, responsible, and articulate.

So, yeah. I love this girl and I want to raise her if I can. She's almost grown up in some ways but I think she might be able to use a couple of extra years to make up for the ones she lost not being nurtured by anybody.

Well, remember that whole conversation we had about "resiliency"? 

Fucked up childhood + better teenage years > fucked up childhood + fucked up teenage years.

Well done, Nigel.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks, Roger! :) I am hoping that it can be better enough that she does OK as an adult.

Freeky

Holy balls, Nigel, you never do a small kindness when a HUGE one would serve better, huh?

I heart you. Marry me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Aw, thanks. :)

The Crazy Mom (if you remember from a few weeks back... Mrs. "I would just appreciate it if you just didn't let him smoke pot at your house") is wigging out about it. Note: This is NOT my child's mother, but her boyfriend's mother, who is certifiable. Her son was hanging out here again so I explained that NGO was staying here, and she was all snarkily "If you aren't going to call DHS please let me know so I can". I told her that I had already spoken to the police, would be speaking with DHS, and am looking into fostering (I was; now I'm looking into adoption) and she is not happy. :lol:

I am going to have to have a serious conversation with her about my concerns that her son is a "bad influence" on my daughter. And I'm looking forward to it, too.

Freeky

Amazing. That's a thing you are.

Also, sounds like crazy mom could give a few lulzy tales! Keep us updated?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel