News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

A way to think about numbers

Started by 666, February 08, 2013, 01:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 04:06:56 PM
:lol:

Heh... right after i posted that, it slapped me that poking that kind of wankery is your saturday night. :)

It isn't even poking.

It's a denouncement from the pulpit. 

Look, the world is wierd.  There's lots of cool weird shit to discover and roll around in with your pants around your ankles and a stupid grin on your face.  To give THAT up in favor of contrived numerical manipulations and endless fappery with the law of 5s is a SIN BEFORE ERIS AND "Bob".

It is, in short, a waste of one's IRREPLACEABLE TIME ON THIS EARTH. 

This isn't brain surgery.  The human being is a primate.  Primates seek patterns, even where no such patterns exist.  If he wants to spend all his time drooling with the monkey brain running his human brain, then I'm not inclined to poke or ridicule him, I'm inclined to both wrath and more than a little pity.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

I understand your sentiment.
i just don't think it's as objectively true as you do.
but then, one of my favored forms of wankery is pretension of detatched observation and suspension of judgement.
i don't know that i believe in the possibility of 'wasting' our time on this planet since i don't believe that we have a purpose.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 04:27:57 PM
I understand your sentiment.
i just don't think it's as objectively true as you do.
but then, one of my favored forms of wankery is pretension of detatched observation and suspension of judgement.
i don't know that i believe in the possibility of 'wasting' our time on this planet since i don't believe that we have a purpose.

We do have a purpose.  I listed it above.  Your purpose is to LIVE YOUR LIFE AND HAVE AS GOOD A TIME AS POSSIBLE.

SHAKE THAT!
\

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Elder Iptuous

capacity.  we have a capacity for that.
purpose implies intent.
i believe you have stated that you believe in some form of god or creator, perhaps?
that would explain your considering us to have a purpose evidenced by our capacity.

this is a matter of faith, though, as you have said before, right?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 04:32:43 PM
capacity.  we have a capacity for that.
purpose implies intent.

If you do not INTEND to have SATURDAY NIGHT and to EAT AS LITTLE SHIT AS POSSIBLE, then there's no helping you.

i believe you have stated that you believe in some form of god or creator, perhaps?
that would explain your considering us to have a purpose evidenced by our capacity.

this is a matter of faith, though, as you have said before, right?

See, now you're mixing up religion and belief in a deity.  Totally different subjects.  I am preaching from religion, which has NOTHING TO DO with my beliefs in a higher being.

Elder Iptuous

no. that was to say, purpose implies intent from a creator.
a hammer has purpose.
a rock has no purpose, (unless it is then made to be a hammer)

we have purpose iff we have a creator.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 04:44:51 PM
no. that was to say, purpose implies intent from a creator.

It bloody well does not.  The creator can go find his OWN fun. 

Quotea hammer has purpose.
a rock has no purpose, (unless it is then made to be a hammer)

Humans are neither rocks nor hammers.  Analogy doesn't work.

Quotewe have purpose iff we have a creator.

I have a purpose anyfuckingway, and if the creator doesn't like it, he can meet me out behind the welding shed to discuss matters.

Elder Iptuous

wait.... are we using the term 'purpose' in the same way that steve martin uses it in The Jerk?
because, if that's the case, i concede.  for, i too, have a special purpose.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 04:51:19 PM
wait.... are we using the term 'purpose' in the same way that steve martin uses it in The Jerk?
because, if that's the case, i concede.  for, i too, have a special purpose.

I am using it as "This is my purpose for existing.  It is why I am here."

Elder Iptuous

i can't tell over text how i'm supposed to take the tone here.
i don't know whether we're being flip, or serious.
if we're being serious, i'd ask, 'according to who?'. purpose is an assigned thing, and an externally assigned thing at that.
otherwise, it's just a capacity and a proclivity.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 05:20:21 PM
if we're being serious, i'd ask, 'according to who?'. purpose is an assigned thing, and an externally assigned thing at that.

I disagree.

And we aren't serious?  I thought we were being serious.  I was being serious.

I thought we were having a discussion about this.

Elder Iptuous

i'm inappropriately not serious sometimes, so i need to ask.  especially in txt.

so.  the primary definition of purpose according to webster:
a : something set up as an object or end to be attained : intention

this is what i'm thinking of when i say 'purpose' in the context, of 'our purpose in life'.  something external (i.e. a creator) is implied because if the intention, or setting up occurs within one's life, then it is not the purpose for the the totality of the life, or the reason for being here in the first place.  it's simply a determination of 'here's what i'm gonna do from now on'  which is significantly less significant than what is implied, in my estimation.
more like the secondary definition we see here:

b : resolution, determination

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 05:29:25 PM
i'm inappropriately not serious sometimes, so i need to ask.  especially in txt.

so.  the primary definition of purpose according to webster:
a : something set up as an object or end to be attained : intention

Sure.  Doesn't say it has to be an external source.

Quotethis is what i'm thinking of when i say 'purpose' in the context, of 'our purpose in life'.  something external (i.e. a creator) is implied because if the intention, or setting up occurs within one's life, then it is not the purpose for the the totality of the life, or the reason for being here in the first place.  it's simply a determination of 'here's what i'm gonna do from now on'  which is significantly less significant than what is implied, in my estimation.
more like the secondary definition we see here:

b : resolution, determination

No creator is necessary or implied.  It is if you're talking about a hammer or a computer.  We aren't hammers and we aren't computers.  We have free will.  Therefore, by the very definition of free will, we HAVE to set our own purpose.  Nobody's gonna do it for us.

Elder Iptuous

yeah... that's the secondary definition that i was saying seems well subordinate to what is generally meant when people say 'our purpose in life'.

also, if your purpose is something you define for yourself, then why would you project it onto anyone else?  if they aren't conforming to your purpose, that doesn't make it a waste of their time on this planet.
wrath suggests that there is a slight.  which only seems appropriate if you are thinking that his purpose is something other than what he assigns it to be...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 05:55:12 PM
yeah... that's the secondary definition that i was saying seems well subordinate to what is generally meant when people say 'our purpose in life'.

also, if your purpose is something you define for yourself, then why would you project it onto anyone else?  if they aren't conforming to your purpose, that doesn't make it a waste of their time on this planet.
wrath suggests that there is a slight.  which only seems appropriate if you are thinking that his purpose is something other than what he assigns it to be...

Yep.  You are correct.  Right, then, I'll just wander off and allow the discussion about numerology get back on track.