News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

I just got a Raspberry Pi...

Started by Bu🤠ns, February 22, 2013, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

...now what should I do with it???   :evil:

Also: I grabbed an Adafruit cobbler breakout board as well so once I solder it, I'll have access to the GPIO pins.

Elder Iptuous

webserver for PD on an inverted pendulum.

tyrannosaurus vex

XBMC

duh. I thought everybody knew that.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Elder Iptuous

were you wanting to do a physical computing type project, or just a small form factor electronics box like the xbmc thing?

Bu🤠ns

Ultimately, I wanted to get a better understanding of electronics and programming.  But I don't want to not try other physical computing stuff either.

Bu🤠ns

I have xbmc on 5 computers/consoles/laptops at home already so that's already been done 

Bu🤠ns

I'd really like to see if i can do some sort of home automation "Jarvis" kinda thing.  Someone in IRC mentioned that emacs did a voice recognition thing...but that's emacs...and i'm not opposed to learning it...buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut....

Elder Iptuous

yeah. i'd love to do some voice recognition stuff for home automation.  i currently know very little about programming (aced my C class in university 7 years ago, but that's about it)
So, i've got the bug too.  maybe we could compare notes as we go along?
I also wanted to dig into the ROS stuff and the OpenCV.  that seems pretty interesting.
RasPi doesn't have a lead time anymore, does it?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Warm it up and put ice cream on it

duh
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 22, 2013, 09:10:50 PM
Warm it up and put ice cream on it

duh

Beer to the pi to the ice to the cream.
Now differentiate it and DANCE.

Bruno

Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 22, 2013, 05:56:41 AM

Also: I grabbed an Adafruit cobbler breakout board as well so once I solder it, I'll have access to the GPIO pins.

I've been looking at those things for computer vision stuff, but I am doubtful that it has enough power for that. I'll probably go with a low-end MicroATX/x86 processor.
Formerly something else...

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Emo Howard on February 22, 2013, 11:29:04 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 22, 2013, 05:56:41 AM

I've been looking at those things for computer vision stuff, but I am doubtful that it has enough power for that. I'll probably go with a low-end MicroATX/x86 processor.

are you going to mess with the OpenCV stuff?  i received a 360 with kinect for christmas, and i want to mess around with it...

Bruno

SimpleCV for Python, which is really just a Python interface for OpenCV
Formerly something else...

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 22, 2013, 07:47:21 PM
yeah. i'd love to do some voice recognition stuff for home automation.  i currently know very little about programming (aced my C class in university 7 years ago, but that's about it)
So, i've got the bug too.  maybe we could compare notes as we go along?
I also wanted to dig into the ROS stuff and the OpenCV.  that seems pretty interesting.
RasPi doesn't have a lead time anymore, does it?

http://mitchtech.net/raspberry-pi-opencv/  Interesting....

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2338  -- RISC OS for the pi -- so yeah i guess you could

This fellow did a Jarvis although I have yet to watch it in full: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/software/diy-jarvis-digital-assistant

Faust

mine torrents links I send it from my phone so stuff is downloaded when I get home for me to watch.
Sleepless nights at the chateau