News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

I just got a Raspberry Pi...

Started by Bu🤠ns, February 22, 2013, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

...now what should I do with it???   :evil:

Also: I grabbed an Adafruit cobbler breakout board as well so once I solder it, I'll have access to the GPIO pins.

Elder Iptuous

webserver for PD on an inverted pendulum.

tyrannosaurus vex

XBMC

duh. I thought everybody knew that.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Elder Iptuous

were you wanting to do a physical computing type project, or just a small form factor electronics box like the xbmc thing?

Bu🤠ns

Ultimately, I wanted to get a better understanding of electronics and programming.  But I don't want to not try other physical computing stuff either.

Bu🤠ns

I have xbmc on 5 computers/consoles/laptops at home already so that's already been done 

Bu🤠ns

I'd really like to see if i can do some sort of home automation "Jarvis" kinda thing.  Someone in IRC mentioned that emacs did a voice recognition thing...but that's emacs...and i'm not opposed to learning it...buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut....

Elder Iptuous

yeah. i'd love to do some voice recognition stuff for home automation.  i currently know very little about programming (aced my C class in university 7 years ago, but that's about it)
So, i've got the bug too.  maybe we could compare notes as we go along?
I also wanted to dig into the ROS stuff and the OpenCV.  that seems pretty interesting.
RasPi doesn't have a lead time anymore, does it?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Warm it up and put ice cream on it

duh
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 22, 2013, 09:10:50 PM
Warm it up and put ice cream on it

duh

Beer to the pi to the ice to the cream.
Now differentiate it and DANCE.

Bruno

Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 22, 2013, 05:56:41 AM

Also: I grabbed an Adafruit cobbler breakout board as well so once I solder it, I'll have access to the GPIO pins.

I've been looking at those things for computer vision stuff, but I am doubtful that it has enough power for that. I'll probably go with a low-end MicroATX/x86 processor.
Formerly something else...

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Emo Howard on February 22, 2013, 11:29:04 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 22, 2013, 05:56:41 AM

I've been looking at those things for computer vision stuff, but I am doubtful that it has enough power for that. I'll probably go with a low-end MicroATX/x86 processor.

are you going to mess with the OpenCV stuff?  i received a 360 with kinect for christmas, and i want to mess around with it...

Bruno

SimpleCV for Python, which is really just a Python interface for OpenCV
Formerly something else...

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 22, 2013, 07:47:21 PM
yeah. i'd love to do some voice recognition stuff for home automation.  i currently know very little about programming (aced my C class in university 7 years ago, but that's about it)
So, i've got the bug too.  maybe we could compare notes as we go along?
I also wanted to dig into the ROS stuff and the OpenCV.  that seems pretty interesting.
RasPi doesn't have a lead time anymore, does it?

http://mitchtech.net/raspberry-pi-opencv/  Interesting....

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2338  -- RISC OS for the pi -- so yeah i guess you could

This fellow did a Jarvis although I have yet to watch it in full: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/software/diy-jarvis-digital-assistant

Faust

mine torrents links I send it from my phone so stuff is downloaded when I get home for me to watch.
Sleepless nights at the chateau