News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Hey, ECH.

Started by LMNO, March 01, 2013, 11:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I know where you stand about oil in the pasta water, but where do you stand with carrots in the marinara?

East Coast Hustle

Personally, I don't believe they exist
                                                         \
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I will freely tell you that my secret ingredient is grated potato, and as long as I'm starching it up with that (which gives it magnificent cling and mouthfeel) I usually throw in a grated carrot as well, for depth.

Authentic? I DO NOT GIVE A SINGLE SHIT.

But my sauce is fucking delectable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I could possibly accept a carrot in the marinara as long as I couldn't FEEL it with my mouth. However, I suspect that people wouldn't need to adulterate their marinara sauce in such awful ways if they used good tomatoes to start with, and had the patience to let it simmer forever. I mean, it's not SUPPOSED to taste like a bunch of extra shit or have all kinds of depth. Brightness and simplicity are kind of the point of it. Adding carrots and starches and things makes it sound more like some weird attempt at a vegetarian bolognese. [/sauce snob]

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 02, 2013, 04:54:59 PM
I could possibly accept a carrot in the marinara as long as I couldn't FEEL it with my mouth. However, I suspect that people wouldn't need to adulterate their marinara sauce in such awful ways if they used good tomatoes to start with, and had the patience to let it simmer forever. I mean, it's not SUPPOSED to taste like a bunch of extra shit or have all kinds of depth. Brightness and simplicity are kind of the point of it. Adding carrots and starches and things makes it sound more like some weird attempt at a vegetarian bolognese. [/sauce snob]

The only way you're going to start with good tomatoes is if you grow them or get them from the Farmer's market in season.

But then, I don't call my sauce "marinara", so technically speaking I don't put a carrot in marinara. I put it in my spaghetti sauce, which is FUCKING AWESOME and made with ingredients readily available for not a lot of money at an ordinary grocery store.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Oh, I will absolutely put some carrots in the spaghetti sauce.

And yeah, I was spoiled with homegrown heirloom tomatoes when I lived there.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love the tomatoes here. In season, they are magnificent and delectable and I eat them by the plateful.

East Coast Hustle

We had a shitload of those little baby yellow ones. SO FUCKING GOOD. Seriously, a handful of those cut in half or quartered, some fresh basil from the garden, a clove of garlic and a pinch of salt. Best goddamn pasta sauce ever.

East Coast Hustle

Also, for actual spaghetti sauce, if you don't feel like grating a potato or happen to lack one you can just cook the same amount of pasta in a little less water so the water gets extra starchy, then reserve some of the pasta water after you've drained the pasta and add that to the sauce. Gets enough starch in there to give the sauce more body with no worries of altering the flavor sinc eyou're just using the noodle water.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 03, 2013, 05:49:00 PM
We had a shitload of those little baby yellow ones. SO FUCKING GOOD. Seriously, a handful of those cut in half or quartered, some fresh basil from the garden, a clove of garlic and a pinch of salt. Best goddamn pasta sauce ever.

Oh hell yes. At that point, I'm ready to fuck the pasta and just eat that by that bowlful.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 03, 2013, 05:51:29 PM
Also, for actual spaghetti sauce, if you don't feel like grating a potato or happen to lack one you can just cook the same amount of pasta in a little less water so the water gets extra starchy, then reserve some of the pasta water after you've drained the pasta and add that to the sauce. Gets enough starch in there to give the sauce more body with no worries of altering the flavor sinc eyou're just using the noodle water.

Hmmm, that could be worth a try. Thanks!

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 03, 2013, 07:24:59 PM
Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 03, 2013, 05:49:00 PM

Oh hell yes. At that point, I'm ready to fuck the pasta and just eat that by that bowlful.

I always saw pasta as just something for the sauce and cheese to stick to.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

I was wondering if, for my sauce, substituting carrot with qiunoa would work?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on March 06, 2013, 12:22:28 PM
I was wondering if, for my sauce, substituting carrot with qiunoa would work?

Yes, but only if you grind the quinoa with a stone mortar and pestle. And adding a little kale and some nutritional yeast wouldn't hurt your credibility.