News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Speaking of the Drug War

Started by Pergamos, March 02, 2013, 07:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pergamos

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 04, 2013, 06:00:23 AM
I misspoke... Blumenauer's bill is not the legalization and taxation one, it's a Federal bill to make it legal for states to legalize medical marijuana. The proposal for legalization and taxation in Oregon is a separate matter.

Obama has made a statement that he doesn't think fighting legalization in states where it has been voted in is an appropriate use of Federal resources.

He made a similar statement about medical, and then proceeded to arrest more providers than W.

navkat

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 03, 2013, 05:45:36 PM
Make something illegal ... drive the price up ... make it a fucking awesome source of revenue ... pay the guys in charge of controlling it dogshit for wages ... go figure.

Bingo. People keep whining "I just don't understand why they don't just decriminalize it just for the tax money!"

Because they're making waaaay more in cash and prizes off the taxes you pay to keep it illegal.
The third-largest growth industry in the United States? Corporate Prison contracts. OH MY GOD, WHERE DID ALL THESE MINIMUM SENTENCING, ZERO TOLERANCE AND THREE-STRIKES LAWS COME FROM ALL THE SUDDEN AND WHY ARE THEY STRIP-SEARCHING MY DAUGHTER FOR ADVIL?

Plus, there are waaaay more places to route and hide revenue and contracts now that we've fused the criminal justice system with national defense. "Homeland Security," we call it. No, you're not allowed to know where the money's going. Yes, expenses pertaining to the judicial system are technically supposed to be public record. No, you're not allowed to know where the money's going. National Security, doncha know. Don't be such a terrorist about it!