"Sorry, Ma'am. I'm not authorized to give a shit without permission..."

Started by navkat, March 04, 2013, 11:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 05, 2013, 06:36:28 PM
For what it's worth I can anecdotally back up Cain's experience in 4/5 large towns/cities in Scotland and England.

I now consider the word "Hospice" synonymous with "Fucked". The laziest google will give you a multitude of tales from across the UK about various "care homes" for the elderly or mentally infirm that will make you loathe your fellow man a little more. I would posit that if it's happening this widely here, it's not just the UK.

The only experience I have with nursing homes (seeing the inside) was in Newfoundland and Ontario.  The nursing homes were clean, well-staffed, and the folks living there seemed happy.

In Illinois and Arizona, they look - from the outside - like factories.  Which offers some nightmare fuel, for those of us with grim imaginations. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cain on March 05, 2013, 04:37:02 PM
Hah, some of the most mean-spirited people I've had the misfortune to know had the job title of "care assistants".  They gave so little fucks they probably wouldn't even bother to piss on someone if they were on fire.

I'm sure the profession tends to attract people who are flat-out sadistic. Invalids aren't very good at standing up for themselves.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Junkenstein

On the factory aspect, the UK has had an aging population for quite some time. The prospect of industrial capacity care homes is probably closer here than many would like to think. Mainly they don't like to think about it as you may have to consider it happening to YOU if you live long enough.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Elder Iptuous

I was just thinking about this the other day, and it seems to me that there's some kind of huge shift that going to happen.
the generation in these wretched retirement homes is about the first that modern medicine has made it a reliable occurance to outlive ones quality of life for an extended period, isn't it?
So their baby boomer children are stuck witnessing and trying to deal with this horror.  and then their kids are seeing them deal with that shit.....
and my wife and i, and all the friends that we know (that aren't opposed on religious grounds) feel without any compunction, that we will lovingly off each other at any point that our quality of life starts to turn to shit in this way.  we sure as fuck aren't going to end up in a home.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

My mom used to be a nurse and worked in a nursing home for awhile. While she was there, three of the nurses were raped by one of the old men and they were all fired for putting themselves in an unsafe situation. He hit my mom in the face and arms several times one day and left bruises the size of oranges. It was well-known that the man was demented as heck but still crazy strong so no one was supposed to be in his room alone. But there was only one nurse per shift for awhile . . . so yeah.

A lot of the people there died from neglect and I think one was suffocated by her daughter. It was just a fucked up place. Mom got out as soon as she could and got a job as an in-home caregiver.

Anyway. Yes. I don't have any positive stories to add about group homes. I think the in-home care-giver thing might work better but I suppose it's just as prone to fuckery as everything else we do is.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on March 05, 2013, 09:52:17 PM
My mom used to be a nurse and worked in a nursing home for awhile. While she was there, three of the nurses were raped by one of the old men

I just gotta ask...

AT THE SAME TIME???
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Balls Wellington on March 07, 2013, 09:38:37 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on March 05, 2013, 09:52:17 PM
My mom used to be a nurse and worked in a nursing home for awhile. While she was there, three of the nurses were raped by one of the old men

I just gotta ask...

AT THE SAME TIME???

Nope. But two in the same day, on different shifts. If I remember right. He was spry but not that spry.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

navkat

The amount of fucked-up in that story is too much for me to process all at once. Come back later, please.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger