News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

My Senator is not a complete idiot

Started by Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy, November 01, 2005, 11:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

The most interesting bit is the last paragraph.  This also goes to show it helps to contact the people you elect.  Well sometimes at least.  

QuoteDear Ms. <name deleted due to paranoia>:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Real ID Act, which was passed by Congress as a part of the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act and signed into law by the President on May 11, 2005 (P.L.109-13). I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The Real ID Act modifies existing regulations regarding the processing of asylum applications by placing the burden of proof on the applicant to prove at least one ?¢,Ǩ?ìcentral reason?¢,Ǩ¬ù that their persecution is due to their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or social group. The Real ID Act also broadens the terrorism related grounds for inadmissibility or removal for asylum seekers. Another provision in this bill further restricts an individual?¢,Ǩ,Ñ¢s options for judicial review when seeking asylum by, among other things, limiting the ability of a federal court to delay an immigrant?¢,Ǩ,Ñ¢s deportation, even while an appeal is being reviewed by the court.

In addition to the modifications to the asylum process, the Real ID Act allows the Secretary of Homeland Security to waive environmental and other laws to expedite the construction of security fences and barriers along our national borders. P.L109-13 also sets minimum federal security standards for states to follow for drivers?¢,Ǩ,Ñ¢ licenses and personal identification cards to be accepted for federal purposes.

I have a number of concerns with some provisions of the Real ID Act, such as those that make it more difficult for individuals seeking asylum. In addition, this law enables the Secretary of Homeland Security to waive all laws, which includes labor, safety, environmental and all other laws, that might impede the expeditious construction of barriers and roads along the border. I am concerned with the costs that the new mandated drivers license regulations will impose on the states. I am also troubled that this controversial bill was included on a must pass piece of emergency legislation to fund the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and did not go through any Senate Committee, did not have any hearings, was not debated on the Senate floor and that the Senate did not have the opportunity to amend it.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin

East Coast Hustle

interesting. and yeah, Levin isn't a total tard. in fact, Michigan does a surprisingly good job of electing officials that don't have thei rheads buried up their own asses, especially considering how much of the population suffers from that very problem.

and no, that was not a shot at you. it was more like a shot at most of Wayne and Macomb counties.

and Ypsi.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: East Coast Hustleinteresting. and yeah, Levin isn't a total tard. in fact, Michigan does a surprisingly good job of electing officials that don't have thei rheads buried up their own asses, especially considering how much of the population suffers from that very problem.

and no, that was not a shot at you. it was more like a shot at most of Wayne and Macomb counties.

and Ypsi.

8)

Well, a certain percentage of the population of Ypsilanti has an excuse, unless they closed the nuthouse there  :lol:

I guess you missed when 'we' elected Spence Abraham  :shock:

Levin is pretty good.  He has been around for a long time, he knows how things go in Washington.  He is always on some committee, too.  For him to say anything against a bill says a lot about how bad it is.

Chef

HOW COME OPIEZ DON'T ELECT SENATORS FROM ITS OTHER STATES, LIKE BRITAIN AND ISREAL?

CHEF D,
THINKS THA FLOOR NEEDS TO RECKONIZE THA SENIOR SENATOR FROM TONGA
CHEF LIVES IN A MANTION.  YUO LIVE IN TENSE.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

NICE RANT ELDORA! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

IF YOU COULDN'T TELL THAT WAS SARCASM PLEASE PROCEED TO SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FACE.

agent compassion

Quote from: ChefHOW COME OPIEZ DON'T ELECT SENATORS FROM ITS OTHER STATES, LIKE BRITAIN AND ISREAL?

CHEF D,

That would make C-Span's viewing figures go through the roof, I bet.  :lol:

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: ChefHOW COME OPIEZ DON'T ELECT SENATORS FROM ITS OTHER STATES, LIKE BRITAIN AND ISREAL?

CHEF D,

Easy that.

We don't trust those we like to colonize.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Because the best part?

Quote from: Shibboleet The Annihilator on November 02, 2005, 02:52:06 AM
NICE RANT ELDORA! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

IF YOU COULDN'T TELL THAT WAS SARCASM PLEASE PROCEED TO SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FACE.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division