News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Conquest of the Planet of the Bride of the Son of the Return of the Open Bar

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 08, 2013, 09:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 12, 2013, 09:59:19 PM
Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 12, 2013, 09:56:22 PM
Quote from: Alty on April 12, 2013, 09:25:39 PM
If I found out someone was cheating on me through nefarious ways I wouldnt actually taunt them, I'd just end it

Jesus.

I'm not saying you would. I think you misunderstand. I'm saying that everyone feels justified in acting shitty when they feel slighted but acting on it and feeling righteous about it indicates a certain level of possessiveness. I mean, whatever your reasons, you're describing a certain level of entitlement to inflict.

PLEEEEASE don't take that the wrong way. The example I used was more severe for a reason, and only to raise the point about how blurry the lines can be.And I don't think it'd make you a person who would go around hurting people. Also, after reading Nigel's anecdote, I admit, I can see how these things aren't always cut-and-dried but Nigel did say it was extreme, she wasn't happy with herself for doing it and if she'd come up empty, she'd still have seen it as a sign of sickness in the relationship on both their parts. That's the most clearly defined part of that to me: spying on people is fucked up and that fact isn't relative.

Balls.  If there's apparently a clear and present danger to yourself and/or your offspring, then a whole lot suddenly becomes okay, because you are no longer talking about snooping or ethics, you are talking about a clear and present danger.

It's not the ends justifying the means at that point, it's self-preservation.  If you honestly can't tell the difference between the situation you were in and the situation Nigel was in, perhaps you need to take a few minutes and review the two situations again.

I do have to make the point again that I didn't know. I didn't have any evidence other than some odd behavior and a gut feeling that something was wrong.

If I'd been wrong, well, that would have been my insecurity talking.

Sometimes, you do have to take that risk. And if you turn out to be wrong, you get your ass to therapy and sort out what's going on inside your head that led your intuition so far astray.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 10:25:05 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 12, 2013, 10:13:03 PM
OH MY GOD POST OFFICE ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON

I hear ya.

Well, they're all out now, except Waffles. I'm gonna do a separate batch of seriously shelf-stable ones for him.

Everyone who's getting cookies: I cannot guarantee that everything makes it there not stale or broken, in fact I'm pretty sure a bunch of things are going to break in transit. As long as nothing gets lost in the postal system, nothing will have the chance to go seriously bad, and the mix of baked goods should keep everything at close to the optimal moisture levels. The chocolate balls contain alcohol as a preservative, do not feed them to small children.

navkat

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 12, 2013, 10:47:46 PM

I hear ya.

Well, they're all out now, except Waffles. I'm gonna do a separate batch of seriously shelf-stable ones for him.

Everyone who's getting cookies: I cannot guarantee that everything makes it there not stale or broken, in fact I'm pretty sure a bunch of things are going to break in transit. As long as nothing gets lost in the postal system, nothing will have the chance to go seriously bad, and the mix of baked goods should keep everything at close to the optimal moisture levels. The chocolate balls contain alcohol as a preservative, do not feed them to small children.

Sweet mother of Alice! I'm gonna eat the TAR out of those.

East Coast Hustle

I hear ya.

:potd:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on April 12, 2013, 05:48:25 PM
so that's me signed up for 4* sea leader training, sidestepping 3* which will be included in my 4* training. After 3 days of intensive training I have up to a year to practice the shit, log trips assuming leader and assistant leader roles, then sit the assessment. When I pass that, I can start charging strangers money for taking parties of up to four on guided trips within a pretty limited remit whilst working toward 5* (top level).

The next step in operation: do my hobby for a living begins on the last week of June!

Dude, that is kick-ass-awesome!
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I hear ya.

Huzzah!! :D :D :D Congrats on surviving the Post Office.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

AFK

So after dating a few different people since the separation and divorce, I think I might have finally found one with some potential.  A very cool, laid-back woman, who luckily happens to be a big fan of puns.  (We haven't discussed drugs yet ;) ). So far it looks like I hit the jackpot. 

The fun part will be introducing her to family. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Six Feet of Sole on April 13, 2013, 12:32:40 AM
So after dating a few different people since the separation and divorce, I think I might have finally found one with some potential.  A very cool, laid-back woman, who luckily happens to be a big fan of puns.  (We haven't discussed drugs yet ;) ). So far it looks like I hit the jackpot. 

The fun part will be introducing her to family.

Damn bro, that was fast. Never seen a divorce with children and property get finalized so quickly.

AFK

Yep, and without lawyers.  It was finalized in February, and we're getting along great as we co-parent our kids.  She had no interest in the house so that part was easy. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Six Feet of Sole on April 13, 2013, 05:05:12 AM
Yep, and without lawyers.  It was finalized in February, and we're getting along great as we co-parent our kids.  She had no interest in the house so that part was easy.

Congrats on the divorce going well.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.