News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Conquest of the Planet of the Bride of the Son of the Return of the Open Bar

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 08, 2013, 09:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

AFK

Well, on the off chance you are ever invited to visit Essex, New York.  Don't. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Faust

See when I hear New York, I assume cosmopolitan crime ridden cookpot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex,_New_York

Not a place with 700 residents that has a list of "Notable" residents on its wikipedia page...
Sleepless nights at the chateau

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Salty

So I take these business classes through a local university, and the information is either extremely 20th Century, especially with regard to ethics, or it is so completely soft and.....bah BAH.

Today the question was posed:
QuoteThink of a time when someone got you to do something that you didn't like to do.  You ended up liking it. Describe the situation and what did the person do to motivate you to try it?

My response:

There was this one time, a friend of mine, for anonymity let's call him Tom.

Anyway, Tom was painting this fence. It was pretty worn, and it was a particularly hot day. He looked like he was sweating something fierce, but he had this big grin on his face, like he was having the most fun a guy could have.

I couldn't understand how he could be having so much fun working so hard. But after he talked on and on about how cool it was, and how much he was enjoying it, I started to want to do it to. At first he wouldn't let me. But after a while of my pleading he let me grab a brush and get right to it.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

navkat

Quote from: Faust on April 14, 2013, 02:38:52 AM

Try "Cosmopolitan, crime-ridden shopping mall" and you'd be half-right.

The Good Reverend Roger

Not a place with 700 residents that has a list of "Notable" residents on its wikipedia page...

When I hear New York, I think either "Watertown" (ugh), or NYC, which is awesome.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2013, 04:50:52 AM

When I hear New York, I think either "Watertown" (ugh), or NYC, which is awesome.

YES! I mean, if you're doing something other than being stuck here for 3 weeks, sandwiched between a hotel room smaller than my closet at home and an office full of screaming technophobic monkeys who can barely type in a password without taking the whole system offline.

I do enjoy that these people have discovered how to make fast food that isn't 70% salt and 30% grease, though.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on April 14, 2013, 01:51:36 AM
Does anyone know what Essex is like? Is it a nice place?

Edit: There's a chance I may be moving to the UK

Depends where in Essex you're looking at.  It does have a bit of a reputation in the UK for being our version of New Jersey and Florida all rolled into one, but it's not an entirely fair depiction.  Colchester, for example, is quite nice, especially once you learn which pubs the soldiers and students go drinking in.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on April 14, 2013, 03:39:33 AM
So I take these business classes through a local university, and the information is either extremely 20th Century, especially with regard to ethics, or it is so completely soft and.....bah BAH.

QuoteThink of a time when someone got you to do something that you didn't like to do.  You ended up liking it. Describe the situation and what did the person do to motivate you to try it?

My response:

Anyway, Tom was painting this fence. It was pretty worn, and it was a particularly hot day. He looked like he was sweating something fierce, but he had this big grin on his face, like he was having the most fun a guy could have.

I couldn't understand how he could be having so much fun working so hard. But after he talked on and on about how cool it was, and how much he was enjoying it, I started to want to do it to. At first he wouldn't let me. But after a while of my pleading he let me grab a brush and get right to it.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 14, 2013, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: Alty on April 14, 2013, 03:39:33 AM

My response:

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Yeah, she thanked me for my conscientious work and told me that most students just don't give a damn.

*sigh*

Someday I'll get to use my brain, someday.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

These are my people. If any of you are hurting for cash, come.on up, because that's what the competition is like, in any sector.

Meanwhile, I've got a tank of gas, a few thousand miles of Alaskan highway, and a raging case of GO FUCK YOURSELF. Let me tell you, I knew marriage wasn't going to be puppy dog and rainbows, but I am damn near the end of my vast reserves of patience.

Also, I feel this needs to be said (not to you, Nigel), if there are any of you PDers who simply don't think very highly of me, please, PLEASE, don't feel the need to respond to me or be my FB friend even if I do actually respect and admire you. In fact, just please do your best to leave me the fuck alone.

Thanks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

IMO anybody who doesn't love you has shit wrong with they head.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Faust on April 14, 2013, 01:51:36 AM
Does anyone know what Essex is like? Is it a nice place?

Edit: There's a chance I may be moving to the UK

Is in the south east, so, expensive is a guarantee yo.

Past that, I've no idea... I've never been there or felt any pressing need to go there