News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

School Presentation about Discordianism

Started by Grand Suleyk, March 10, 2013, 12:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grand Suleyk

This is my first post on this forum, I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

So, I am making a school presentation about discordianism. I've already done some research on the subject and read the Principia. Is there anything specific you think would be important to implement? Any comments about discordianism that would help cure the curse of Greyface, or simply give people a positive first impression? Any important facts I should not forget? I've already intoduced a few people to the philsophy, but this would be in front of the entire class. I appreciate any tips and advice.
I don't like sigantures.

McGrupp

It would be highly presumptuous for me to attempt an answer.

However, I can give you the advice that was given to me not more than a week or so ago.

Quote from: insideout on February 27, 2013, 06:00:21 PM
I have no particular qualifications, but it amuses me to answer, so herein lies the truth:
review the following Pages of the principia:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/76.php
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/81.php

Then reread the whole thing.

Then read the Discordia Totalis and the Black Iron Prison, both linked here:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,32486.0.html

If you haven't achieved clarity by that point, come back and ask again!

I would further recommend the Chao te Ching, which is awesome. I would recommend more but I am still learning and reading myself.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Grand Suleyk on March 10, 2013, 12:02:32 PM
This is my first post on this forum, I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

So, I am making a school presentation about discordianism. I've already done some research on the subject and read the Principia. Is there anything specific you think would be important to implement? Any comments about discordianism that would help cure the curse of Greyface, or simply give people a positive first impression? Any important facts I should not forget? I've already intoduced a few people to the philsophy, but this would be in front of the entire class. I appreciate any tips and advice.

I'd go easy on the jargon, and concentrate on the basics:  "Think for yourself, schmuck."

Discordianism isn't about "greyface", it isn't about hotdogs, or that dumb fucking "turkey curse".  It's about thinking for yourself, and not casually accepting whatever is spoon-fed to you by the school, the media, the government, or any wannabe gurus that stagger down the pike with their pants around their ankles and a goofy look on their faces.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

I know it's pretty trite to quote Robert Anton Wilson around these parts, but dammit, I still think this is a pretty good summary:

Quote from: http://feastofhateandfear.com/archives/rawilson.html
You Too Can Be A Pope

More serious, or at least more desperate, is the Discordian Society and/or Paratheo-Anametamystikhood of Eris Esoteric (POEE), an anarchistic sect divided deliberately into two opposed groups, each claiming to be (I quote) "the first True Religion." Like the witches, the Discordians worship a female divinity, but say She is crazy. Her name, in fact, is Eris, and the ancient Greeks knew her as the Goddess of Chaos; Discordians claim she is also the Goddess of Confusion, Discord, and Bureaucracy. The Discordian orthodoxy, headed by "Ho Chih Zen" (real name, Kerry Thornly), claims this was revealed by a miraculous talking chimpanzee, who appeared in a bowling alley in Yorba Linda, California, in 1957. The POEE sect flatly rejects this, says it is superstitious nonsense intended to attract the gullible, and proves the existence of Eris by Five Proofs, which are logical monstrosities and reduce actually to One Proof -- namely, "If Eris doesn't exist, who put all the Chaos in this universe, you damned atheist?"

The High priest of the Head temple (his orthography) of POEE is "Malaclypse the Younger, Omnibenevolent Polyfather of Virginity in Gold" (real name: Gregory Hill), who was, of course, ordained as a minister by the ever-helpful Rev. Hensley. It has its own Bible, by Malaclypse, called Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her After I Found Her, and has cabals -- not churches or groves of covens or even nests -- all over the U.S., in England, in Australia, in Canada and even one in Hong King. Leaders of the cabals, called Episkopi, all have odd names and titles, e.g., Camden Benares (author of Zen Without Zen Masters) heads the Los Angeles cabal of Eris Esoteric, Onrak the Backwards heads the Colorado Encrustation, and the Berkeley cabal is run by Lady L, Fucking Anarchist Bitch -- a title, she explains, given to her by Eldridge Cleaver during a political debate.

Discordians have set out to out-Hensley Hensley by making every man, woman and child on the planet a Pope. They are doing this by mass-distribution of Pope cards and have not, of course, neglected to send one of these to the Anti-Pope in France and to the chap in the Vatican who still thinks he's the only Pope. All employees of the Pentagon are, willy-nilly, Discordian saints whether they want to be or not, since Malaclypse has canonized them and incorporated them into a holy order called "Knights Of The Five-Sided Castle," under the patronage of St. Quixote. The Pentagon itself is a religious shrine, said to embody the perfect balance of Chaos and Bureaucracy. Everybody who opposes Discordianism as blasphemous or absurd is an honorary saint too, of the House of the Rising Hodge, while Discordians are saints of the House of the Rising Podge.

Discordianism shuns dogma but has one catma, the Syadastan Affirmation, which reads, "All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense." Discordians call this the Free Mantra -- unlike the Transcendental movement, they charge no fees -- and insist that if you repeat it 666 times you will achieve Spiritual Enlightenment, in some sense.

Many recent American writers have been influenced by Discordianism, as can be seen in Spinrad's Agent of Chaos, Tom Robbins' Another Roadside Attraction, and the notorious Illuminatus trilogy; the Discordian obsession with the number 23 also appears in quite a few Hollywood films these days. Discordian theology is discussed soberly in Drawing Down the Moon, a serious sociological study of neo-paganism in America, written by Margot Adler, granddaughter of the psychologist Alfred Adler.

Although the clear takeaway comes down to Roger's point.  It's all you, dude. It's all ultimately your trip.  Just a lot of folks these days tend to take that choice and regurge discordia memes instead of actually doing something original and fucking awesome. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: McGrupp on March 11, 2013, 01:12:16 AM
It would be highly presumptuous for me to attempt an answer.

However, I can give you the advice that was given to me not more than a week or so ago.

Quote from: insideout on February 27, 2013, 06:00:21 PM
I have no particular qualifications, but it amuses me to answer, so herein lies the truth:
review the following Pages of the principia:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/76.php
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/81.php

Then reread the whole thing.

Then read the Discordia Totalis and the Black Iron Prison, both linked here:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,32486.0.html

If you haven't achieved clarity by that point, come back and ask again!

I would further recommend the Chao te Ching, which is awesome. I would recommend more but I am still learning and reading myself.

I second the recommendation of the Chao te Ching, and also highly recommend Zen without Zen Masters by Camden Benares, who was also one of the oldschool Discordians. Zen without Zen Masters really helps provide a philosophical context for the Principia Discordia.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 11, 2013, 01:42:49 AM

I'd go easy on the jargon, and concentrate on the basics:  "Think for yourself, schmuck."

Discordianism isn't about "greyface", it isn't about hotdogs, or that dumb fucking "turkey curse".  It's about thinking for yourself, and not casually accepting whatever is spoon-fed to you by the school, the media, the government, or any wannabe gurus that stagger down the pike with their pants around their ankles and a goofy look on their faces.

Also, this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 11, 2013, 03:44:56 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 11, 2013, 01:42:49 AM

Also, this.

RESOUNDING YES. Don't get information from facebook groups, those things exist for sport and butthurt infliction.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

tyrannosaurus vex

A proper dissertation on Discordianism would not mention Discordianism at all, even once. It would an exercise in finding the largest chunk of misinformation or other bullshit most widely held as true by your classmates, and debunking it mercilessly, making sure to alienate and make fun of as many people as possible in the process.

Of course, Discordianism is also about humor, so begin your presentation with, "A man walks into a bar."
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on March 11, 2013, 06:34:50 PM
A proper dissertation on Discordianism would not mention Discordianism at all, even once.

AND THAT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IS WHY WE CALL V3X "THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD".

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Not that it matters.  This is one of the FB dudes, like Doobie.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 11, 2013, 06:35:42 PM
Quote from: V3X on March 11, 2013, 06:34:50 PM
A proper dissertation on Discordianism would not mention Discordianism at all, even once.

AND THAT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IS WHY WE CALL V3X "THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD".

SINATRA IS DEAD. LONG LIVE V3X.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division