News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Bulgarian politicians come up with a brilliant scheme to trick everyone

Started by Dalek, March 05, 2013, 02:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

A few weeks ago, Bulgaria's people finally stopped trying to force change by like-and-sharing funny pictures of politicians on Facebook and went out on the streets on massive protests. The reason was the high electricity prices, caused by the fact that the distribution of electricity is in the hands of Big Foreign Companies. The smell of rebellion was everywhere. And there was also the smell of fish, though no one really noticed it. Facebook activists were bursting with euphoria, spreading pictures of the massive marches. Sofia's police force clashed with protesters. Varna's police force was accepting flowers from them and declared that they support the protests

The protests escalated, with people singing old revolutionary folk songs, blocking main boulevards everyday etc. A few people felt the smell of fish. A journalist tried to expose what was happening in his TV show. A day later the TV show got canceled. No one noticed it. Everyone wanted to hear about how much the politicians had failed. Everyone wanted to hear pseudo-intellectual discussions on the events. Everyone wanted to hear about The Revolution and no one wanted to hear about how big of a scam this whole revolution is. Soon the Financial minister left the Parliament.  A day later Prime minister Boyko Borisov announced his resignation. The Revolution was successful after all. We had taken down the government. What's next? Nobody knew. All they knew was that they wanted change, no one could suggest a good direction. A bunch of folks from Vratsa proposed a new constitution, but their efforts produced a hilarious piece of shit, that seemed more appropriate for North Korea (proposing death penalty for everyone who disrespects Bulgaria loll).

Meanwhile Spas Spassov was the only journalist who was really exposing things for what they were  on his blog (he's a lot like a bulgarian Spider Jerusalem. Pretty awesome. But no one wanted to listen to him, because he was not praising The Revolution). So where was all of this fishy smell comming from?

Now, Russia has been trying to push natural gas here for quite a while and Bulgaria doesn't run on gas. It runs on electricity. And those European companies aren't helping. And Bulgaria's government has been gaining people's disapproval for quite a while. And surely a lot of the politicians that have been hoarding money for the last few years have grown tired of all the games, and have probably taken into account that they've stolen enough money to resign from politics and do their thing (Simeon Diankov, the minister of finance announced that he's starting a business in the US pretty soon after his resignation). And you can't just quit without doing some explaining. And you can't just impose state control on the foreign electricity companies out of nowhere. And you can't really expect people to trust you on election day after having cheated them for quite a long time.

So what do you do if you're a politician in the described situation? You organize a protest. Then you do all of the above to keep the people happy, against your own will of course. Everyone leaves with the money. The big players stay, only now they are lurking in the shadows, secretly pulling the strings on the new ones, that come, bringing hope for a brighter future.

And no one is gonna know, because people don't like to think of themselves as fools. They like to see themselves as revolutionaries. Builders of a brighter future.  So they'll read all of the articles, celebrating social change and criticizing the government, but they'll ignore everyone who implies that the revolution is a scam. A bit like Kony 2012. Boyko 2013 lol.

Junkenstein

Excellent post. More of this kind of thing.

In fact, A general plea - If you live anywhere that does not have English as a primary language, please feel free to throw up a quick post about the current domestic political situation where-ever you are.

I like reading them and I hope that's all the incentive you need.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dalek

Considering how Russia is pulling the strings on most Bulgarian politicians (Boyko Borisov was the bodyguard of the Bulgarian soviet leader Todor Zhivkov so it's sure that he has KGB training) it's not really surprising. Russia is well known for being sleazy and doing shit like that.

Golden Applesauce

Crazy stuff. I should start paying attention to Bulgarian news (most of my company is located in Bulgaria.)

Suggestions for resources to get up to speed?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Dalek

Some pretty interesting shit happened in the last few days and I'm going to make a post about it here soon.