News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

I told you about the time, didn't I?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 18, 2013, 11:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

People up in the North end of the West Hills can't keep cats around. They can have them, of course, but they have to keep them inside or they disappear. They'll tell you it's because of coyotes, and it's true that coyotes do live in the park, along with other things. There are owls and bobcats and small black bears, and the feral people, of course... most people prefer to call them "homeless encampments", because it sounds nicer. Easier to digest, more manageable. And there are the actual homeless encampments, on the fringes of the forest.

But everybody who lives there and anybody who's listened to the stories, especially the stories the scared old men tell when they come tumbling out of the woods and into town to panhandle for enough fortified malt liquor to pass out in the grassy planting strips of the inner-city neighborhoods until the police to come and take them to a cell overnight. They talk about one of their number they call Old Weird Ben, only they say Old Weird Ben doesn't camp with them. They don't know where he camps, but they come across him sometimes, and even though he seems kindly enough something about him scares them. He has a fondness for cats, they say, but the way they say it makes it sound like it isn't something nice.

So this time I'm talking about, I might have told you about it before... my friend was out walking, and he got a wild hair to walk up one of the old abandoned roads that leads into the park, just to see what's there. He hops the barricade and strolls on up the road, which is all cracked with moss and grass growing on it, on its way to being reclaimed by the forest, and rounds a corner to see a bunch of old foundations. He'd happened on one of the old subdivisions, either one that got torn down or one of the ones that never got finished. As he got closer to the foundations, he noticed that there were little tin cans on them, everywhere. Then he saw a cat. And another cat. And they started coming at him, just heading right for him, and one after another joined in until he said there were probably close to two dozen cats running toward him.

At that point he just turned and ran. He looked back once after he rounded the corner, and didn't see any cats, but kept running all the way back to the main road just to be sure. He won't go back and he won't tell me where it was at, but I think I have a pretty good idea.

What I have no idea about is what on earth Old Weird Ben wants with all those cats. 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Bravo!

I hope to find out why.

Then again, I'm MILES away.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's a funny thing... if you live here, it's just a given that there used to be plans for the city to extend up into the North end of the West Hills, and that there was a planned subdivision up Leif Erickson Drive. We all know that those plans were abandoned, in some cases after roads were put in, bridges build, and foundations poured, but for some reason nobody ever seems to wonder why. I know I certainly haven't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

I'm not sure where fiction ends and fact begins. *squee/shudder!*

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My friend who ran into the cats is Rude, who I used to date.

There's a lot of WTF in Portland.

Richter

Civilization is a gift.  Like air.
You can spend your life immersed in the stuff, and never even know it until the sudden, breathtaking (har har) absence of it.  It's really more of an effect.  A sort of mind trick played on the world, so it lies in one pace, nice and still.  Or at least only moves slow and cagey, at a pace that might be mistaken for urban decay.  "Country", "Wilds" or "Frontier" are not far and hard away things.  Just break line of sight enough.

You'll know when you're outside of it.  Well, you might.  That faint exhilaration when you step into the woods.  The dawning terror that a broken ankle outside of voice, phone, or sight of passing people may just end you.  That cat-kill curiosity. 

Thing is, recently this effecg has needed less and less permission to waltz in on our places.  We've forgotten WHAT we drove back with walls and fire.  What we pacified and bounded with roads and plow, what we cowed with guns and cars.  It hasn't forgotten us though.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

I_Kicked_Kennedy

Agreed.

First, the bees.

Soon after, the squirrels attack our eyes.

After some angel trumpets (7, or so), dolphins and mushrooms create civilization from the ashes.
If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

I_Kicked_Kennedy

If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

The Good Reverend Roger

I never trusted cats.  They always look at you, sizing you up...AND DRINKING YOUR BOOZE.

So, one day, you go RIGHT when you were supposed to go LEFT, and you wind up in one of THOSE places, and the cats pile on you and devour you.  Rudy has good instincts...When shit goes sideways, don't think...Rely on your primate instincts and RUN.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yep.

This is not a man prone to running. He's curious, he's exploratory. But his gut said GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE, and he listened.

I'm glad he did, because we'd never have found him. People disappear around here all the time, and there are parts of that park no one's set foot on in decades. Or more.