News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

FAO, CAIN: The Germans don't even TRY to hide it, anymore.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 18, 2013, 08:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 12, 2013, 06:01:21 PM
And the band marched on:

QuoteCypriot politicians have reacted with fury to news that the crisis-hit country will be forced to find an extra €6bn (£5bn) to contribute to its own bailout, much of which is expected to come from savers at its struggling banks.

A leaked draft of the updated rescue plan, which emerged late on Wednesday night, revealed that the total bill for the bailout has risen to €23bn, from an original estimate of €17bn, less than a month after the deal was agreed – and the entire extra cost will be imposed on Nicosia.

I guess they felt they left some money on the table.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

That or their projections of the Cypriot economy were done while on crack:

Quote1) the economic forecasts are worse than literally laughable (table) . The drops in consumption and investment look dementedly optimistic given the events of the past month. Exports to drop a mere 5% with the destruction of the banking industry and the introduction of capital controls. The wealth effect wiping deposit worth 60% of GDP will apparently barely register on consumption – the Troika must think the deposits are all Russian. Compare with Iceland (50% drop in investment) or Latvia (40%), the former boosted by devaluation the latter by an intact financial system. Public consumption drops 9% – Iceland held the line here, and we have bitter experience from Greece on how big fiscal multipliers are. These projections cross the line from wild optimism into contemptuously half-hearted fable. This table is a bare-faced lie.

Ambrose Pritchard thinks this may be payback for old slights:

QuoteIt is an interesting question why Cyprus has been treated more harshly than Greece, given that the eurozone itself set off the downward spiral by imposing de facto losses of 75pc on Greek sovereign debt held by Cypriot banks.

And, furthermore, given that these banks were pressured into buying many of those Greek bonds in the first place by the EU authorities, when it suited the Eurogroup.

You could say that this is condign punishment for the failure of Cyprus to deliver on its side of the bargain on the 2004 Annan Plan to reunite the island, divided by the Attila Line since the Turkish invasion in 1974.
Greek Cypriots gained admission to the EU on the basis of a gentleman's agreement, then resiled from the accord. President Tassos Papadopoulis later deployed the resources of the state to secure a "No" in the referendum on the Greek side of the island. No wonder the EU is disgusted.

But there again, Greece behaved just as badly. It threatened to block Polish accession to the EU unless a still-divided Cyprus was admitted, much to the fury of Berlin.

Junkenstein

Economic predictions and policies made by those seemingly under the influence of illicit substances? Ah the British Heritage.

So I guess this means Cyprus is pretty much fucked now for time immemorial?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on March 19, 2013, 05:23:46 PM
OH, GOODY.

I gotta get out of this racket.

NARRATOR:  "But he didn't get out of that racket."
Molon Lube

LMNO