News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

AND FURTHERMORE AND BECAUSE AND FUCK YOU AND I GOT NOTHING TO SAY.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 19, 2013, 07:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sita on March 22, 2013, 03:34:01 PM
Since it appears everyone but me understands the OP can someone please explain it? I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Dissent.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Oscar Wilde did it from the other side of 1900 too, and it was FABULOUS. Mae West did it so hard, they legislated the MOVIES.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 22, 2013, 03:50:42 PM
Since it appears everyone but me understands the OP can someone please explain it? I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Dissent.

Standing on your hind legs and dissenting until you're blue in the face.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also:  Giving a shit enough to put your neck on the line.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Sita

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 22, 2013, 03:58:07 PM

Dissent.

Ah. So basically if you disagree with something get off your ass and try to change it instead of just complaining about it.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 22, 2013, 04:11:06 PM
This is something that seems to have dwindled severely in the human condition. Too many people concerned more about themselves than the people around them.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Jonas Salk did it on HIMSELF before he did it on the kids.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: stelz on March 22, 2013, 04:53:47 PM
Jonas Salk did it on HIMSELF before he did it on the kids.

FUCK YES.  Jonas Salk could SHIT ON MY DESK, and I'd still sing his praises.  No more polio kids in iron lungs or wheelchairs.  Jonas Salk did fucking MAD SCIENCE, and the world is a million times better for it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sita on March 22, 2013, 04:19:38 PM

Dissent.

Ah. So basically if you disagree with something get off your ass and try to change it instead of just complaining about it.

This is something that seems to have dwindled severely in the human condition. Too many people concerned more about themselves than the people around them.

Many people think so.
I don't agree.

I think that's part of what those in power want us to think, to prevent us from taking action.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 22, 2013, 04:59:51 PM

Dissent.

Many people think so.
I don't agree.

I think that's part of what those in power want us to think, to prevent us from taking action.

It's why video of people stepping over a guy dying on the sidewalk get shown on TV OVER & OVER.
Generally, somebody would at least make a phone call.

The Good Reverend Roger

This is correct.

Kitty Genovese was an abberation.  999 times out of a thousand, someone will help.  The only problem is the assumption that someone ELSE has called or will call.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on March 22, 2013, 05:13:04 PM

Dissent.

Many people think so.
I don't agree.

It's why video of people stepping over a guy dying on the sidewalk get shown on TV OVER & OVER.

Yes.

It does happen, and the reason we STUDY IT is because it's not normal. It's horrifying and repugnant and we want to figure out why it happens, so we can PREVENT IT. And, all this research shows that just one person can change a whole crowd's behavior; a single person can break conformity and put a stop to compliance in a bad situation.

And there is a LOT of money and a LOT of power put into trying to make sure we don't do that. And, there is a pretty good body of research that indicates that the more "individualistic" we are as a society, the more we conform, and fear dissent.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And, you know what? Most of the time, WORST case scenario, you speak up and look like an asshole. There are those times when looking like an asshole will get you shot or hauled off to jail, but those are a tiny tiny improbable minority of the time. MOST of the time, you shout HEY MISTER, DO YOU NEED SOME HELP? and he stands up and walks away and you feel a little like a dick, but no harm has been done.

So don't be afraid to look like a dick. Don't be afraid to be WRONG. Being WRONG is sometimes the most bipedal fucking thing a monkey can do.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 22, 2013, 05:19:53 PM
It does happen, and the reason we STUDY IT is because it's not normal. It's horrifying and repugnant and we want to figure out why it happens, so we can PREVENT IT. And, all this research shows that just one person can change a whole crowd's behavior; a single person can break conformity and put a stop to compliance in a bad situation.

Had that happen on jury duty once.  It was this horrible battery case, where this ape looking dude stood accused of beating his GF and her 3 year old boy.  I bumped up into the short list, and the prosecutor asks if anyone has a problem with the fact that he's only going to use one witness.

Everyone just sits there.  I raise my hand.  He askes what the problem is, and I respond that yes, if that's all he's got, I have a problem.  Then 4 more people all raise their hands and agree.

I was, of course, thrown off the jury with one of the prosecutor's 2 freebees.

QuoteAnd there is a LOT of money and a LOT of power put into trying to make sure we don't do that. And, there is a pretty good body of research that indicates that the more "individualistic" we are as a society, the more we conform, and fear dissent.

And that's why I'm a discordian.  And that's why I get so manic when I see people thinking "Discordian" means "tell the same tired-ass jokes and hot dog bullshit so that everyone will know you're in on the joke and one of them".  TOTALLY FUCKING THE DOG THERE, JUNIOR.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 22, 2013, 05:19:53 PM
Quote from: stelz on March 22, 2013, 05:13:04 PM

Dissent.

Many people think so.
I don't agree.

Yes.

And there is a LOT of money and a LOT of power put into trying to make sure we don't do that. And, there is a pretty good body of research that indicates that the more "individualistic" we are as a society, the more we conform, and fear dissent.

Yeah, Roger said somewhere that a lot of them are just waiting for somebody to tell them what to do. IME it's true, they're frozen and confused. I came out of the restroom at work one time to see a lady having a grand mal banging her face in a puddle of blood and everybody standing around, but I think it was initial shock. Once I TOLD them to turn her on her side, call 911, etc. they moved quick.

The Good Reverend Roger