News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Nigel & Cain: Your thoughts on this?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 20, 2013, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 22, 2013, 02:28:10 PM
I know if I was surrounded by armed cops and possibly injured and concussed due to an accident, the very first thing I'd do is commando roll out of my car and start popping pigs heads.

Especially in Texas.

Of course. What else would you do?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

Not that I think PD's consensus is wrong, but y'know, given the way Americans tend to see conspiracy behind everything (and always have), you'd think people in power would learn to be less tidy. Because this is not suspicious at all.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Juana Go? on March 22, 2013, 03:22:38 PM
Not that I think PD's consensus is wrong, but y'know, given the way Americans tend to see conspiracy behind everything (and always have), you'd think people in power would learn to be less tidy. Because this is not suspicious at all.

Most conspiracy theories fail in the face of Occam's Razor and the sniff test.

In this case, the moment I saw that he'd been murdered, something wasn't right.  And, as you say, this is WAY too tidy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 22, 2013, 01:46:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 20, 2013, 06:19:44 PM
Prediction:  Some ex-con is going to get this hung around his neck, and he'll get conveniently shot while being arrested.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/22/17414616-did-white-supremacist-kill-colorado-prisons-boss-pizza-delivery-man?lite

Quote"When he came by me, he was running I'd say around 100 miles an hour, just had his left arm out the window, and he was just shooting," said Rex Hoskins, chief of the Decatur, Texas, police. "He wasn't planning on being taken alive."

:lulz:

Wow.

It's like they weren't even trying to hide it.

Eta: whatever happened to "make it look like an accident."

Cain

When I try and engage in my entirely random drive by shootings, I always drive by really fast.  I know it makes me more likely to miss, but it adds an element of challenge, you know?

I also let my intended victims see my gun by dangling it out of my car window before driving up to them.  Again, it's a challenge thing.  Sportsmanship.  You wouldn't understand.

LMNO

Oh, come on. Boys in the Hood was like, 20 years ago. Probably more.

DO YOUR FUCKING RESEARCH, COPS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 22, 2013, 04:37:08 PM
Oh, come on. Boys in the Hood was like, 20 years ago. Probably more.

DO YOUR FUCKING RESEARCH, COPS.

As long as 80% of the population either buys it or doesn't give a shit, everything's good.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Most conspiracy theories are fucking stupid and rely on giant leaps of faith to hold any cohesion whatsoever.

The issues with the sketchy private prison industry require no faith, just a minimum of awareness of mainstream documented facts about private prison industry corruption and influence on American laws:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/what-is-the-united-states-of-alec/2012/09/27/06dfb1ca-08b6-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_blog.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57464438/who-is-alec/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/miles-mogulescu/alec-states-unions_b_832428.html
http://www.alternet.org/story/150463/what_is_alec_dragging_the_secretive_conservative_organization_out_of_the_shadows

...and possibly a modicum of recognition that corporations have done worse things out of greed.
http://www.businessinsider.com/nestles-infant-formula-scandal-2012-6?op=1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1780075.stm
http://www.multinationalmonitor.org/mm2005/112005/mokhiber.html

That said, yes, you're right that you would almost want to think that they'd be a little more smooth about it... but the bottom line is that they don't think they have to, and they're mostly right.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, then you have people like RWHN, who is basically in the pocket of ALEC and has an inordinate degree of faith in "the establishment". I'm sure that in his eyes the official reports sound completely watertight and we're just a bunch of off-the-wall loonies for being skeptical. :lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

This is why I don't buy most conspiracy theories:  They imply a certain minimum level of competence on the part of large government organizations.  And while I believe that most government employees are individually competent, the organizations themselves (due to decades or centuries of accumulated rules, traditions, etc) are DUMBER THAN FUCK.

Example #1:  The CIA has had ONE success (Allende), and even then, it was a mess.

Example #2:  Iran/Contra.  We can't do ANYTHING right.  WORST CONSPIRATORS EVER.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 22, 2013, 04:43:08 PM
Of course, then you have people like RWHN, who is basically in the pocket of ALEC and has an inordinate degree of faith in "the establishment". I'm sure that in his eyes the official reports sound completely watertight and we're just a bunch of off-the-wall loonies for being skeptical. :lol:

Not sure about that last bit.  RWHN seems more interested in MAKING PEOPLE GET IN LINE than he does in defending weird shit like this.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 22, 2013, 02:29:01 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 22, 2013, 02:23:57 PM
Two things jump out at me:

QuoteAuthorities say the suspect collided with an 18-wheeler, got out of his car and kept firing until officers shot him. Texas authorities said he was legally dead but being kept alive in a hospital so his organs might be harvested.

WHAT

Also, "harvested?" No one has said "harvested" in connection with organ donation for like 20 years, and it makes it sound like someone is doing it to him, when that would only be legal if he was a registered donor. That is the strangest wording I've seen for such a situation pretty much ever.

No body afterwards.  All sewn up, no nasty loose ends.

It's a tradition dating back to JFK's magical disappearing brain.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 22, 2013, 04:02:52 PM

Most conspiracy theories fail in the face of Occam's Razor and the sniff test.
Oh, I know. That's never, ever stopped us, though.

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Most people would prefer to believe in fantastical conspiracy theories involving aliens, Nazi zombies, secret societies stretching back to the dawn of time and occult powers gaining sinister control over our lives.  Also reptilians, Muslims, JOOS etc.

Unfortunately for them, most conspiracies involve power, money and embarassment.  Why did the CIA attempt to kill Castro so many times?  Power and money.  Why did no-one come forward about Jimmy Savile, despite common knowledge of his crimes? Embarassment and power.  Why did Bush redact certain key parts of the 9-11 Commission's findings, specifically to do with Saudi Arabia?  Embarassment and money and power.

Also, real conspiracies are inevitably depressing.  The spectre of alien invaders attacking us from inside the hollow earth is far more exciting than the truth that the government sometimes pays its intelligence agencies to infiltrate terrorist organizations and then allow them to continue killing because it suits certain status quo political objectives.  Especially when you look at the list of people who have died by talking about alien invaders (practically none) versus all the judges and top law enforcement officials, many with personal bodyguards, who died while investigating actual conspiracies.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 22, 2013, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 22, 2013, 04:43:08 PM

Not sure about that last bit.  RWHN seems more interested in MAKING PEOPLE GET IN LINE than he does in defending weird shit like this.

Yeah, but I'm sure he's rolling his eyes at our speculations, because DUH, the OFFICIAL REPORTS are OFFICIAL.