News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

The Saga of Asobiden

Started by Remington, March 28, 2013, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

heh, I'm an anti-social prick.

Remington

10th Malachite, 131 (Mid-Summer)

A dwarven couple and their child turned up on the doorstep yesterday. Armok only knows why they wanted to come here.

Now that some space has been cleared out, we bend our efforts to addressing the rather embarrassing lack of furniture around here.

Nigel works on creating some obsidian trinkets, so that we will have something to trade when the dwarven caravans arrive in the autumn.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

27th Malachite, 131 (Mid-Summer)

Nigel continues to show economic foresight. I saw her just yesterday venturing aboveground to construct a depot for the trade caravans to stop at. Good forward thinking, I suppose.

On a much more important note (for me, anyway) I now have a proper office! I've taken the opportunity to begin inventorying our stockpiles.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

Too much work to do... need moar dwarfs!
Is it plugged in?

Remington

21st Timber, 131 (Late Autumn)

The dwarven caravan from the Mountainhome arrived today. In the excitement, a kobold thief tried to sneak into the fortress, but was quickly discovered. As the commander of the militia, Gogira was sent to deal with him.

The skinny little bastard managed to run away, but as Gogira was in pursuit he ran into the SECOND thief head-on.

Screaming his war cry, the axedwarf charges at his foe...

...and promptly gets his ass handed to him.

As Gogira heroically passes out from a small scratch on the hand, the kobold makes a break for it. Unfortunately for him, the caravan had arrived by then. The guarddwarves take him aside and gently explain to him that stealing is wrong.

I have ordered any dwarves not busy with other tasks to begin carrying trade goods to the depot. Gogira has been issued a lollypop and a band-aid.
Is it plugged in?

The Good Reverend Roger

I just found out that I am in fact a female dwarf.

This fills me with the sexy.

Remington, is there a sexy little vixen dance I can do or something?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 29, 2013, 07:34:35 AM
I just found out that I am in fact a female dwarf.

This fills me with the sexy.

Remington, is there a sexy little vixen dance I can do or something?

I am also a female dwarf.

My bio is also shockingly, disturbingly accurate.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

21st Timber, 131

Dear Diary,

Asobiden is excitin'.  All sortsa critters which look like people animals pester us.  They dinnae look harmful but I remember ol' Da's lessins:  Things Which Are Nae Rocks Are Nae Ta Be Trusted.  The other dwarves're fine.  They may be rocks after all.

We saw a grand ol' brawl some time ago.  Our brave Militia Commander got 'is arse beaten by a kobold!  Narsty bugger.  Ought to show Gogira not to sleep on the job again, though, poor sod.

Been startin' ta er...feelins.  Ones I never 'ad before.  Unnatural ones, tellin' me ta come ta the surface.  Strong feelins, like I don't want ta say no.  But I 'ave a harder and harder time keepin' my head straight when they come.  Tellin' me ta join me brothers.  But me brothers're in Asobiden.

Right?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Awwww, I knew I should be worried when I saw "very weak" in my description.

Pergamos

Unfortunately my ethics prohibit me from butchering these furries.  Hopefully someone shoots down a giant raven.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am a short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry. :lol:

Also, I made a friend! Yay friend!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Date: unknown due to lack of visible sun

Journal entry 1

can't Armok-damned believe those elfhuggers sent me all the way out into bloody NOWHERE to dig holes for a bunch of lowlife cretins

I used to carve out edifices in the fucking cliffs, out on the mountainside! This subsurface, hovel-digging mine work is obscenely dull.

can't finish thoughts, too angry

Journal entry 2

Calmed down. Had some of what's left of the precious booze we brought. Nish knows I've dug out plenty of space for at least one of these layabouts to set up some farms and a brewery. We'll all be mad as gnomes before the year's out, otherwise.

Hematite. Thank fucking Armok, there may be hope for this place to be more than kobold bait. Some day.

Still can't bloody wait for this useless pit to accumulate enough supplies that I can pack for my escape back to the Mountainhomes. Nevertheless, they're not all bad dwarves in here. I had my doubts about Remington, and even more doubts about the assgoblin who put him in charge, but at least he has enough sense to come down in my favor when that schist-nibbler Nigel starts gabbing off at me about "fang-sway." I may not like it, but I damn well know how to dig out a proper near-surface cave.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Remington

12th Moonstone, 131 (Early Winter)

After the excitement with the kobold thief, we were able to conduct trading normally. Our goods are not terribly valuable (our stonecrafters are fairly new at the trade) but it is enough to purchase some supplies.

We managed to get a good stock of booze, food, and seeds. Hopefully this should see us through the next year.
Is it plugged in?

Remington

Year-End Report

We may not have much on paper to show for our first year, but our basic services and industries are up and functioning.

Level 1: Entrance
Installing a bunch of stonefall traps here... not ideal, but it will have to do until we can get some metal trap components made.

Level 2: Future Military Barracks + Hospital
I've set up the farming on this level, primarily with plump helmet mushrooms. We are producing enough of them to both feed and booze everyone so we shouldn't run into any food concerns.

Level 3: Future Noble Office Space + temp stockpile
We haven't got any nobles yet, but what the worthless parasites do come along the'ye going to be wanting offices of their own. Best to plan ahead.

Level 4: Workshops
This is where the primary industry of the fortress is. Currently we have:
x3 Mason's workshops
x2 Craftdwarf workshops
x2 Jeweler's workshops
x1 Still
x1 Mechanic's shop
x1 Tanner's shop
x1 Carpenter's shop

Nigel seems to be monopolizing the craftdwarf's workshops completely. Pergamos is becoming very popular in the fortress as he is the only one with any kind of brewing experience. Lastly, the Good Reverend and Eater of Clowns are making good use of their masonry skills and making us some furniture. Cainad lists mechanical skills on his resume, but seems to be avoiding the backlog of mechanism work in favor of sulking down in the lower tunnels muttering about edifices. I'm a bit concerned about him.

Also, my humble yet well-appointed office is on this level. I've ordered the walls of the office smoothed and (if possible) engraved. Nothing but the best for the hard-working overseer, am I right?

Level 5: Dining Hall
The extremely spacious dining hall is quickly becoming to go-to spot in the fortress for dwarves on break or slacking off. The northern segment of the dining room has had some floor grates installed that drop down to the next level: I hope to get a lovely artificial waterfall flowing through here next year.

The butcher shops and fish cleaning stations are on this level, separated from the main dining room by an airlocked passage.

Miscellaneous Notes:

• Sweet Armok, there is Hematite EVERYWHERE. We're literally tripping over the goddamn stuff as we walk around. I've ordered the miners to delve deeper into the earth: once we hit magma we'll be able to start up some magma forges and get all this rock converted into sweet sweet iron.
  • Many of the immigrants report having military experience: we have 3 potential axedwarves and 6-7 competent marksdwarves. Once we have weapons I will be starting up a militia to protect the fort.
  • Getting proper bedrooms dug out will be high priority for the coming year. Everyone is complaining about sleeping on the ground.
  • Last week, I noticed that Eater of Clowns was buzzing in his sleep. Not just humming, but buzzing! There is something very wrong with that dwarf.
Is it plugged in?