News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

The Saga of Asobiden

Started by Remington, March 28, 2013, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

Gogira ruined a grasshopper man.  Even if we could butcher the things she spread it across nearly an acre of land. 

And apparently we've found adamantite.  My grandmother told me horror stories about that, Dig it out and stuff comes out the hole...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Why does nobody appreciate all the work I do? And then I go for a walk on one of my rare breaks and come home covered to the knees in GRASSHOPPER ICHOR, WHAT THE FUCK.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 05, 2013, 05:32:36 AM
Why does nobody appreciate all the work I do? And then I go for a walk on one of my rare breaks and come home covered to the knees in GRASSHOPPER ICHOR, WHAT THE FUCK.

I'm just doin' me little dance. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

WHEN I AXE THINGS THEY STAY AXED.

Cainad (dec.)

30th Obsidian, 131

A cave! Finally, some open space to work with. It's not the same as carving the open cliff faces back home, but it'll do. I might be able to stay sane a little longer.

1st Granite, 131

ADAMANTINE.

can't hardly write

must maintain composure; Terrible Things happen to dwarves that go mad for the blue bones of Armok

So little is known in the Mountainhomes about how to handle an adamantine deposit. Rare is the Dwarfhold that lasts long enough to tell its history once it's found the stuff.

Hopefully, we can contain ourselves for long enough to carefully excavate the rock around the deposit. We shouldn't dig into it until we know exactly what we're digging in to.

Remington

Big update will be posted tonight, with Bees, Butchery, and the Blood of Armok.

Also, as an interesting sidenote: that adamantine vein we found was at level 82. Magma level is at -20. That means that there's ONE HUNDRED LEVELS of shiny adamantine in that spire alone.

We's gonna be rich, if we don't die horrible, fiery deaths.
Is it plugged in?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Remington on April 08, 2013, 06:44:35 PM

Also, as an interesting sidenote: that adamantine vein we found was at level 82. Magma level is at -20. That means that there's ONE HUNDRED LEVELS of shiny adamantine in that spire alone.

Why not both?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Remington on April 08, 2013, 06:44:35 PM

Remington

3rd Slate, 132 (Mid-Spring)

The advent of spring has brought with it a flurry of new activity. Pergamos has eagerly taken on the job of resolving our animal surplus:

He's basically the dwarven SPCA. As a species, we generally don't hold with the "adoption of poor unfortunate creatures" thing.

I've had Cainad start digging out a very specific arrangement of tunnels near the front entrance and filling them with cage traps: my plans for this space will be revealed soon.

The cage traps proved their worth almost immediately, as no sooner had they been installed when FOUR goblin snatchers tried to mosey in the front door.

We now have four caged goblin prisoners, securely restrained within wooden cages. More of Nigel's fine handiwork... it seems like she is making half the things in the fortress by now. I have yet to decide the prisoners' fate, but for now they have been placed in an exhibition hall for the amusement of the general public.

Lastly, Eater of Clown's somewhat unique delusions seem to have taken full flight: he recently made off with some of Nigel's spare obsidian boxes and was last seen on the surface chasing after insects. He came back underground just before sunset, covered from head to toe in stings but smiling.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

25th Slate, 132 (Mid-Spring)

The darker part of the spring season reared it's ugly head today. Every year they return, like a bad case of herpes:

Fucking elves. No good tree-fondling eco-terrorists, every one. Gogira and Roger both want to just ambush them and have done with it, but I reluctantly give the order to allow them to approach. We're supposed to be building a civilization here, and unfortunately that sometimes means sacrificing personal desires for the sake of diplomacy.

We load the depot up with Nigel's handiwork and managed to get a decent deal for all the trinkets and crafts. Mainly wood and cloth, but we did acquire a tamed, caged wolf and cougar. Sadly they can't be trained for war like dogs can, but they may still be of some use.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

9th Felsite, 132 (Late Spring)

Lots of migrants arrived today, nearly doubling our population. We're up to 42 dwarves now: quite an achievement for a few exiles from the Mountainhomes.

I've assigned most of the arrivals to begin work on a surface construction: we need some outer defenses to hold back wild animals and goblin incursions. A great big wall is just the thing.

Surprisingly, most of the migrants have actual, useful skills. All the migrants are competent with at least one kind of weapon, and for some reason an armorsmith is mixed in with the lot as well! Usually it's only the rejects that get sent to the colonies (fish cleaners, cheese makers, and the like). What is happening back at the Mountainhomes that such skilled individuals are leaving?

Is it plugged in?

Remington

12th Felsite, 132 (Late Spring)

I knew it was too good to be true. As soon as that armorsmith had set his pack down he began to ramble and lurch around the fortress aimlessly. He seemed to be muttering something under his breath, something about needing iron.

Cainad and TGRR still haven't fired up the magma forges yet, but it seemed like a shame to lose a promising armorsmith to this sudden insanity. I ordered the construction of a make-shift forge, smelter, and charcoal furnace, and we managed to supply the poor dwarf with the iron he needed. I hope this pays off.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

13th Felsite, 132 (Late Spring)

Upon finishing his masterpiece, Bembul calmed down and the strange mood seemed to lift off of him. The result was a masterfully wrought iron breastplate, unadorned but crafted with exceedingly fine worksdwarfship. Somewhat annoyingly, Bembul seems to remember nothing of what possessed him to create such an artifact, nor does he now display the unsurpassed skills that he displayed earlier. He reports feeling odd shortly after arriving in Asobiden, and then blacking out until after he had finished Thobshigos.

I can only conclude that Bembul was possessed, and forced to create this item by forces unknown. I am trying not to overanalyze the event, but it seems to me that such a supernatural occurrence such a short time after the discovery of the Truemetal is no coincidence at all. I have locked the breastplate (or "Thobshigos", as Bembul calls it) in a locked room until I can decide that these portents mean.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

15th Felsite, 132 (Late Spring)

Remington paced along the plateau overlooking the underground lake, watching the still waters reflect his torchlight back at him in flickering wave of light. The adamantine vein was just visible at the far shore of the lake, the distinctive blue hue of the ore contrasting sharply with the granite all around it. It looked... out of place. Wrong.

The stocky expedition leader thought about recent events as he walked the edge of the underground lake, weighing the possession of Bembul and the unexplained yet self-evident issues far away at the Mountainhomes in his head. Was it wise to continue delving further into the earth? Going ever deeper? Or was Bembul's episode a warning to the dwarves of Asobiden against the hubris so common to their race?

The dwarf picked up a small stone near the mineshaft and hurled it in the general direction of the distant adamantine. All the clerical work had been sapping his muscle tone, though: the stone hit the surface of the lake less than halfway across the lake. The ripples from the splash quickly spread out across the perfectly smooth surface of the lake.

Remington turned and left. Unseen by him, the ripples from his stone continued across the lake, until, gently, they broke upon the crystalline shore of the adamantine vein.

Its silence broken, the surface of the lake began to boil. Twisting and frothing in the wake of unknown forces, the water exploded upwards in a frightening show of force. A horrible roar echoed throughout the entire cavern, a roar from neither man nor dwarf nor elf.

Is it plugged in?

Pergamos

Personally I like elves.  I know it's not considered properly Dwarfy to do so, but they bring really interesting animals in trade and if we can get a breeding population of one sort or another I'll have more to butcher than poultry and puppies.  Not that poultry and puppies aren't delicious mind you.  A nice puppy roast, with a barrel of ale, nothing better.