News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

The Saga of Asobiden

Started by Remington, March 28, 2013, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 29, 2013, 07:34:35 AM
I just found out that I am in fact a female dwarf.

This fills me with the sexy.

Remington, is there a sexy little vixen dance I can do or something?

Afraid not... You can get married and pop out dwarfbabies, though! If you're conscripted into the military you'll even take the baby into combat.
Is it plugged in?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

TGRR: MAKES COMBAT BABIES.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Remington

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 31, 2013, 05:46:24 AM
TGRR: MAKES COMBAT BABIES.

Well, there is the concept of "dwarven childcare" that some players use.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0

QuoteIt's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.
Is it plugged in?

Remington

25th Obsidian, 131 (Late Winter)

Another kobold thief slipped in today. I'm a bit concerned at the ineffectiveness of the traps at stopping these intruders: this thief managed to make it halfway down the central staircase before someone found him.

Gogira clearly viewed this as being Round Two versus the kobold menace, and rushed forth to redeem himself in the eyes of his fellow dwarves.

He didn't shut up about it until Cainad eventually knocked him out cold so that we could eat dinner in peace.
Is it plugged in?

Pergamos

I haven't been able to butcher anything yet.  But I have been keeping everyone's mouths full of wine, which is making things much more tolerable.   The furries even look kind of cute with enough wine in you.  With all the iron ore all over i expect the fortress will have steel weapons and armor before too long.  Gogira could use a steel axe, I bet she'd kill more than half the kobolds that way.

Q. G. Pennyworth

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

ASEN, MY BACK HIRTS. We needs beds in this place!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

I totally dig your layout. I'm much more short-sighted with my forts, usually stuffing all the necessities into a cramped set of rooms and then expanding into the lower levels.

Remington

Quote from: Cainad on March 31, 2013, 05:39:13 PM
I totally dig your layout. I'm much more short-sighted with my forts, usually stuffing all the necessities into a cramped set of rooms and then expanding into the lower levels.
Thanks! Level 6 is zoned as dwarf condos (smoothed 1x4 room for each dwarf, includes door, chest, bed, and cabinet) and Level 7 is noblespace. Level 8 will be tombs/catacombs. Here's the residential blueprint I usually use:

I find that keeping everything orientated around a single central staircase greatly reduces walk distance from any one point to another, as ascending or descending a stair only counts as one tile of movement. It also allows zoning of each Z-level to specific purposes (dining, crafts, military, residential) which helps keep track of everything once you hit 150+ dwarves.

As a bonus, placing hatch covers on the central staircase on each level allows you to lock down access to the fortress on a level-by-level basis, even to building-destroyers (they cannot destroy the hatch cover above or below them, therefore they cannot path to that level).

Just wait until I finish designing the entrance: the design I work with allows a "siege mode" that turns the 20-tile trapfree walk from surface to fortress into a 200+ tile trap filled death corridor with the flip of a switch.
Is it plugged in?

Eater of Clowns

Dear Mum and Dad,

I am very sorry I called ye those names when ye sent me out with my party.  Ye were right, o' course, they need me and my rock shapin.  I hope all is well.

Asobiden is comin' along nicely.  I just wish me brothers would work together with some purpose.  They are industrious, but imagine how much more we could do if we were a bit more like minded.  What if we could think together?  Move like we were one?  Then thing'd really be efficient.

I been havin' some trouble sleepin' lately.  It's winter and everything and I just feel so cold, so I try movin' about fast to warm myself up.  It's not workin'.  A few more of me and it might.  Ah look at me blabberin'.

Your dwarf,
Eater of Clowns
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Remington

30th Obsidian, 131 (Late Winter)

Cainad reports breaking through into an immense subterranean cavern early today. Reports of mossy walls, immense, twenty-foot high mushrooms, and bizarre wildlife are starting to come in.

One of our hunters managed to slip into the cavern and shoot up a strange horse-like creature that was grazing on one of the gigantic mushrooms. He ran out of crossbow bolts, though, and the creature's companions chased him off. I've order the caverns sealed off from the main mineshaft until we have a better idea of what is living down there.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

1st Granite, 131 (Early Spring)

Cainad rushed up to my office and barged in within knocking. Eyebrow arched, I looked him over as he struggled to catch his breath.

"What is it? First you nearly take my door off its hinges, and then you don't even have anything to report?"

Cainad glared at me spitefully. "Don't give me any 'o your shit," he managed to get out as he tried to catch his wind. "Let's see your royal paper-pushing self sprint up one hundred twenty flight of stair, and see how well ye do with it."

I opened my mouth to respond, but never got the chance as Cainad reached into his belt pouch and tossed a small fragment of rock onto my desk. The light flickered oddly off its surface as it rolled, and I reached out to pick it up.

And promptly recoiled back, fingers bleeding from cuts almost down to the bone. "Aye," said Cainad, "It'll do that."

I grabbed a small pair of jewelers tongs from under my desk and examined the rock under the torchlight. It was intensely, unnaturally blue, and upon closer inspection I could see multitudes of razor-thin strands embedded throughout the rock. It weighed very little, but knocking it upon the edge of the desk cracked the edge of the desk instead of harming the rock.

"No," I said as I looked back at Cainad, "It can't be".

"It is."

Is it plugged in?

Q. G. Pennyworth

I am disappointed in the lack of terrible deaths thus far.

Remington

Gogira's Day Off

Gogira looked around at the bustling Dining room, full of her fellow dwarves running to and fro. Apparently, no-one had time to attend the get together she had organized. Damn them.

She was getting sick of this place. The work piled up endlessly, she was somehow expected to keep the entire fortress secure while still running odd jobs, and NOBODY in the entire freaking hole in the ground had any desire to take a break and have a little fun. Remington had spent the entire season locked in that wretched office of this, scribbling endlessly, Nigel worked just as long hours on the stonecrafting benches, and Pergamos kept asking everyone if they had any pets that they didn't want anymore. While carrying a large butcher's knife.

Gogira starting pacing up and down the tables, frustration building. The piercing chirps of the bizarre man-sized grasshoppers that were now roaming the surface dug further at her concentration, until finally it snapped. If no-one else was going to party with her, she would do it herself. And Gogira was a dwarf that knew how to blow off some steam.

Tossing her axe in the stockpile as he walked back through the fortress, Gogira grabbed a keg of rum and sat down on the edge of one of the tables. It was good to be a dwarf.
Is it plugged in?

Q. G. Pennyworth

This totally made my morning :D