News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

Tennessee getting ready to throw poor students under the bus.

Started by Bruno, April 04, 2013, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130404/NEWS0201/304040068/TN-bill-linking-welfare-benefits-grades-passes-House-committee

QuoteAfter a lengthy and passionate debate, a House committee on Wednesday approved legislation that would reduce welfare benefits for families whose children are failing school.

The House Health Committee voted 10-8 in favor of House Bill 261. The measure would cut Temporary Assistance for Needy Families payments if a child fails a grade and a parent does not take an action such as attending two parent-teacher conferences, arranging tutoring, enrolling the child in summer school or taking a parenting class.

TANF payments would be reduced to the child-only grant, about $140 for a family with one child.

This bill was sponsored by Stacey Campfield, the Tennessee state senator known for this gem of a comment on AIDS:

Quote"most people realize that AIDS came from the homosexual community – it was one guy screwing a monkey, if I recall correctly, and then having sex with men. It was an airline pilot, if I recall.... My understanding is that it is virtually – not completely, but virtually – impossible to contract AIDS through heterosexual sex...very rarely [transmitted]."[29][30] He later quoted the odds of heterosexual vaginal transmission at 1 in 5 million.

Also, the "Don't Say Gay" bill which would have banned schools from even mentioning homosexuality, and another bill that would have required teachers to report to parents if a student revealed to them that they were gay. Fortunately, both of those bills failed.

Somebody at least had the sense to add an amendment that would exempt families who attend at least two parent-teacher conferences a year, enroll their child in a tutoring program, enroll a failing child in summer school, or if the student has a learning disability, but that wasn't Campfield's idea.

They're just trying to help, though, of course.

QuoteI can't stress enough how my heart goes out for a child that is not getting the support that he needs at home," said state Rep. Barry Doss, R-Leoma. "But I am more concerned about the child starving for a lifetime than I am for a few days, because if these children don't get an education and the parents are not going to be responsible enough, they're going to be burdened for a lifetime.
Formerly something else...

navkat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 04, 2013, 08:31:47 PM
QuoteI can't stress enough how my heart goes out for a child that is not getting the support that he needs at home," said state Rep. Barry Doss, R-Leoma. "But I am more concerned about the child starving for a lifetime than I am for a few days, because if these children don't get an education and the parents are not going to be responsible enough, they're going to be burdened for a lifetime.

But I am more concerned about the child starving for a lifetime than I am for a few days, because

But I am more concerned about the child starving for a lifetime than I am for a few days, because

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 04, 2013, 08:38:18 PM
WooooooWooooooo!

ALL ABOARD THE BOO-BOO BUS!

"I'm late."

"Yeah, get on the bus."

"You said you'd fire me if I was late again."

"We're too busy.  Get on the bus."

"YOU PROMISED YOU'D FIRE ME."

"I'll fire you next week, get on the bus."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

navkat

I just snarfed e-juice out my nose in the Student Union.

Now the Magic Card players are looking at me.

Cain

Fortunately, after a few days, you don't really have to worry about the child starving anymore.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 04, 2013, 09:24:21 PM
I just snarfed e-juice out my nose in the Student Union.

Now the Magic Card players are looking at me.

I assume you caught the reference?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 04, 2013, 09:32:56 PM
Fortunately, after a few days, you don't really have to worry about the child starving anymore.

Yeah.

Well, I'm just glad to live in the BEST NATION ON EARTH.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 04, 2013, 08:50:17 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on April 04, 2013, 08:31:47 PM

STOP THE FUCKING PLANET AND LET ME OFF. NOW.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

McGrupp

I posted the OP article on facebook and now I'm arguing with someone who thinks its a fine idea because they can jump through hoops to avoid losing the aid. If it's the irresponsible parents fault their child is failing what makes you think they'll be responsible enough to attend parent teacher conferences and set up tutoring!

On the plus side the argument made me think about how little I know about how welfare works. I realize posting this here is like pointing out that water is wet, but an interesting article pointing out welfare myths: http://dailynewsfinder.com/2012/11/21/facts-and-myths-about-welfare/

The Johnny

Before i start, i state clearly the 4 options for the continuement of the money support:

a) Parent attending two parent-teacher conferences
b) Arranging tutoring for the child
c) Enrolling the child in summer school
d) (Parent) taking a parenting class.

Let that sink in for a moment before you read further:

In my bachelor's degree thesis (270 pages including the interviews) what teachers mostly spoke of the reasons behind the existance of "bad students" remitted to family: parents don't spend enough time with their children, parents are teaching the wrong values, parents are lazy and don't provide enough money to nurture, parents are abusive, etc., while also turning a blind eye to their own blame in the process and turning a blind eye to the systemic failures of the educational system.

B and C are fine options, because they give academic support for the child.

A and D underlyingly say "You are a bad parent, and you should feel bad about it, we are going to teach you the right values so you can teach them respectively to your child". And that is 50% of the options.

Cain, if you by any chance have access to the database of the failed forum, i request a repost of the thread i made there about my findings in my thesis that i shared, since its a topic that has been touched upon recently here.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm on food stamps and it would seriously make everything worse for all of us if I had to take time out of my classes so that I could meet with my son's teacher about the fact that the homework they assign is boring, redundant makework and that the way they grade means that even if he gets an A on every test because he knows the material inside and out (he does), they will still fail him if he doesn't turn in the homework, and that the only reason I'm making him go to at all is because his father won't let me unschool him until it's time to send him to college.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division