Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Cain, LMNO?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 16, 2013, 05:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

I'd say it's a normal response to a weirdly abnormal situation: Record-high stock market paired with constant threats of austerity.  Something's got to give, and the zillionaires are managing their risk.

Cain

Gold crashed in the last couple of days as well.  Last time gold crashed, the market followed.  Correlation does not equal causation and all that, but....China reported disappointing economic data as well, and of course the Chinese and American economies are strongly interrlinked.

The Good Reverend Roger

And this business of printing money...Accurate or more horseshit.  I mean, who actually prints more money?  I thought that's what computers are for.

LMNO

"Printing money" is shorthand for some sort of financial fappery, I think.  Although, it could also literally be firing up the printing presses.

Cain

I believe what actually happens is the central bank says "we've printed more money", adds them in digitally and then transfers the digital money out to the banks.

I'd have to double check, but I'm fairly sure I'm right on this.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on April 16, 2013, 06:43:42 PM
I believe what actually happens is the central bank says "we've printed more money", adds them in digitally and then transfers the digital money out to the banks.

I'd have to double check, but I'm fairly sure I'm right on this.

That's pretty much the long and short of "Quantitive Easing" in the UK. Cash is constantly being printed and removed as well. If I remember correctly the average banknote only makes it through 10 or so transactions before it's FUBAR and burnt. Hence the constant supply of crisp fresh notes from cash machines too.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.