News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Tennessee getting ready to throw poor students under the bus.

Started by Bruno, April 04, 2013, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:54:39 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 02:50:08 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 09, 2013, 02:48:10 AM
All I can hope is that Juana simply had a really shitty gender studies professor who indoctrinated her in some of these terrible ideas, and that they will shift over time as she is exposed to less... well, less completely shitty, unacceptable bullshit.

Judging from the youtube link, I'd argue that it goes a bit farther than that.

Yeah, there seems to be a whole subculture of it. And that's a shame, really, because I know a fuckton of nonwhite and/or nonmale and/or noncis and/or nonhetero people, including myself, who are not at all represented by that subculture and DO NOT LIKE the fact that the people in it seem to be presuming to speak for everyone.

When I think of non-CIS people, I think of my daughter.

Not the haters.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

But as you and Keelin have both pointed out, that may not be the typical reaction.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Just watched the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr1KOGQh5Lg

The guy is a fucking bigot, and he (and Garbo) are setting back the understanding of privilege by a great deal indeed.

MY BIGOTRY IS OKAY, YOURS IS NOT.  IF YOU DISAGREE, IT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR PRIVILEGE.

This guy is rancid.  He's poison.

Cainad (dec.)

All I can hope is that Juana simply had a really shitty gender studies professor who indoctrinated her in some of these terrible ideas, and that they will shift over time as she is exposed to less... well, less completely shitty, unacceptable bullshit.

Yeah, there seems to be a whole subculture of it. And that's a shame, really, because I know a fuckton of nonwhite and/or nonmale and/or noncis and/or nonhetero people, including myself, who are not at all represented by that subculture and DO NOT LIKE the fact that the people in it seem to be presuming to speak for everyone.

It's an amazingly counterproductive subculture, and one that I suspect is largely enabled by echo-chamber social networking. A particularly lovely example can be found in Tumblr (for some of the most hilariously egregious examples, clicky: http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/ )

Outrage has become a form of social currency. Shouting out the most over-the-top anti-white-male-cis-hetero statements is a way to accumulate "likes" from the choir.

edit: LOL, that YouTube link is also on the Reddit

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 02:51:25 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on April 09, 2013, 02:47:43 AM

Or if i said something like:

"I hate all Pinko 'Murricans"

Just because my fellow Mexicans get treated like shit by SOME white americans, doesn't mean im entitled to make sweeping generalizations.

Precisely.  Another person's privilege doesn't give license for bigotry on your own part.

I personally think that blindly lashing out against a generalization of people, is, well, just as bad as blindly lashing out against a generalization of people...

Its not only bad because its acting on prejudice, but also because it will perpetuate and reinforce the agression to your particular MINORITY.

And besides the "not doing blind prejudice", as a MINORITY you cannot play the "asshole card" BECAUSE YOU WILL PROMPTLY GET SHOVED BACK AND GET STEAMROLLED BY THE MAJORITY.

Try being an illegal inmigrant in Arizona, calling every racist fuck a "Pinko" and count the minutes till you get murdered!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on April 09, 2013, 03:04:40 AM

Just because my fellow Mexicans get treated like shit by SOME white americans, doesn't mean im entitled to make sweeping generalizations.

Precisely.  Another person's privilege doesn't give license for bigotry on your own part.

I personally think that blindly lashing out against a generalization of people, is, well, just as bad as blindly lashing out against a generalization of people...

Its not only bad because its acting on prejudice, but also because it will perpetuate and reinforce the agression to your particular MINORITY.

And besides the "not doing blind prejudice", as a MINORITY you cannot play the "asshole card" BECAUSE YOU WILL PROMPTLY GET SHOVED BACK AND GET STEAMROLLED BY THE MAJORITY.

Try being an illegal inmigrant in Arizona, calling every racist fuck a "Pinko" and count the minutes till you get murdered!

Yeah, there's always the "don't be an asshole" angle, too.

Even if you COULD get away with it, WHY?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on April 09, 2013, 03:03:12 AM

It's an amazingly counterproductive subculture, and one that I suspect is largely enabled by echo-chamber social networking. A particularly lovely example can be found in Tumblr (for some of the most hilariously egregious examples, clicky: http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/ )

Outrage has become a form of social currency. Shouting out the most over-the-top anti-white-male-cis-hetero statements is a way to accumulate "likes" from the choir.

edit: LOL, that YouTube link is also on the Reddit

Yeah, and it's hardly surprising that "privileged college student must radicalize to validate him/herself."  They missed Angela Davis, they missed Gloria Steinem, they missed Harvey Milk...they even missed Gloria Gaynor.  And, to top it all off, people aren't coming down on things like trans and homosexuality like they used to1.  So outrage must be manufactured, ergo an enemy must be created and then demonized.

So you get assholes like the one in that fucking video.  Complete bag of hypocrisy and weak-ass hate, and I'd LOVE to say that I'm surprised Garbo bought that shit, but I know better now.  Cognitive dissonance is not related to intelligence, it seems.  She's smart, but she's obviously also WILLFULLY A DUMBASS.

1  Oh, it still happens.  Not saying it doesn't.  But now it's remarkable, instead of being a given.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 03:07:46 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on April 09, 2013, 03:04:40 AM

Yeah, there's always the "don't be an asshole" angle, too.

Even if you COULD get away with it, WHY?

Because im entitled to it?  :lol: just kidding. I really dont see a practical reason for it.

Im still going to transcribe all of that youtube video and ill nitpick it with Juana, I cant get on it right now because im working.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 09, 2013, 03:15:43 AM
I AM VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THE COOKIE-HATE ITT

Oh, not THOSE cookies.  THOSE cookies are an exception.  They're the good cookies, that stay among their own kind, wearing their gaudy clothes and making that music they make.

Ew.  Just squicked myself out.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on April 09, 2013, 03:16:12 AM

Because im entitled to it?  :lol: just kidding. I really dont see a practical reason for it.

Im still going to transcribe all of that youtube video and ill nitpick it with Juana, I cant get on it right now because im working.

You have a stronger stomach than I have.  That guy is human garbage, not distinguishable from Fred Phelps or any given KKK member.

The Good Reverend Roger

On the other hand, he accomplished his mission, which was to preach (a very small) hatred.

So I guess the video is a win.

(Edited to qualify the hate as weak.)

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 03:21:34 AM
On the other hand, he accomplished his mission, which was to preach hatred.

Anything to achieve greater status in the tribe. Anything. No matter how much shit you have to spew to get it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on April 09, 2013, 03:24:46 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 09, 2013, 03:21:34 AM
On the other hand, he accomplished his mission, which was to preach hatred.

Anything to achieve greater status in the tribe. Anything. No matter how much shit you have to spew to get it.

Yep.  Throw more gold braid on the uniform, so to speak.  Be the most outrageous dumbass on the block.

He's a miserable excuse for a human being, and in retrospect, so is Garbo.  I gave some latitude in the past based on her age and apparent need to be a REBEL AGAINST OPPRESSION™, but enough is enough.  A bigot is a bigot, and I'm done making excuses for her, even to myself.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Johnny on April 09, 2013, 12:09:58 AM

Why "cishet" instead of "hetcis"? Sounds like implying "Cis-shit" and on a pure phonetical level it IS.

I've always preferred "White middle class person with a penis"  But I know that's a bit long if you're really full of hate.  When said in a properly scornful tone of voice though it's devastating.