News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

RevRoger Sermon 19: The Sermon on the Roof.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 27, 2003, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

*sniffs* *teary eyed* That was beautiful. It needs to be posted all across Chicago and every other major city.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Trollax

Normal,  Normality, Normalcy: (adj.) 1.)The so called "perfect state" of humanity, the apparent edifice of society's lofty (and never held) ideals. 2.) A state whereby the "normal" individual is in total harmony with the state of tick-tock. 3.) A state in which people convince themselves they exist in order to avoid responsibility for their own misofortunes and problems.

Taken from the cynictionary of Saint Trollax: a tome of hip counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-culture words, phrases, slang, put-downs, and one-liners...

~Cynictional Trollax~

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Sir Lyall

Normal can also be the majority, or at least what the majority thinks is the majority, although the majority of them are probably not living it.   :wink:

I agree that abnormality is highly over-rated, especially when the culture (the powers that be, if you will) assimilates the counter-culture and put it to use for their own ends.
mass marketed arcana

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

That's the point. Everything can be used and assimilated for marketing purposes. Even Discord. (Which gives me an idea...for another thread.)

I feel if you just openly be yourself, it's more important than where you would fit on the 'normal-abnormal scale'. At some level of communication the label is useful but only in context and contexts tend to change all the time.

Trollax

It's like I've said... At some point someone has to pick up the glass and drink it instead of saying it was either half-full or half-empty...
So if you would point me to the bar for on $350 I can show you how full or empty my alcohol stream is...

~Drunken Master Trollax~

Tyallie

Hey Don't Look Now, There goes God In his sexy pants and his sausage dog And he can't stand Beelzebub cos he looks so good in black.
--
no reira e hoa ma te kai a te rangatira he korero me he koteo mau kupenga.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

I see it as half full so I can be grateful, but I also see it as half empty, so I can fulfill it. The feeling of lacking something many times means that one needs that thing. Half-empty...because I love having desires and celebrate them. I have yet to achieve the prosperity I desire. Growing up in circumstances of poverty and instability instilled in me a healthy respect for 'not-doing-without'. So 'half-empty' keeps my perspective healthy. 'Half-full' keeps it balanced. The whole point is to drink it, as Trollax said.

riff

Myself, I see the glass as "too big".

Normal, cultural: Me, but not you.

Normal, counter-cultural: You, but not me.
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

The Commander

I see the glass as not having enough beer in it.  But then again, I'm Belgian.

The Commander
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

riff

Belgian??  Why have you got that Limey accent, then?
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Belgium invented the 'limey' accent, me ol lover.

The Commander

Gehosephat my good man!  Didn't you know my nursmaid was from W. Sussex.  Never trust a Belgian with a new born baby!

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The CommanderI see the glass as not having enough beer in it.  But then again, I'm Belgian.

The Commander

There is no glass!  There is only DOOM!  DOOOOOOM, I tell you!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.