News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Good article that details exactly why the bitcoin is a pyramid scheme

Started by Faust, April 09, 2013, 02:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisa1

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 02, 2013, 10:27:00 PM
Come to think of it, how do I pay for police to keep the roads clear of bandits so I can move my chickens?
KILL THE FUCKING BANDITS! are you a man or a rodent?
"As I treks through the cesspit I sharps up my wit"
"We dont wanna be, we just be"
-Roots Manuva

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 02, 2013, 10:21:23 PM
Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:18:50 PM
Barter = yes but how in the fuck does that equate to "going back to the 18th century"?, did the average citizen of the 18th century have near instantaneous textual access to a large percentage of the world population?

I wish to buy a computer.  The parts for that computer are made in 6 different countries.

I have a load of chickens to trade for said computer.

HOW DO?
Finally an intelligent question.

I'm kinda dumb, you have to bear with me.

QuoteObviously some form of 'currency' is required however I fail to see
A) why we need 182 of them

Quite right.  Those smudgy foreigners in their "countries" should all use our currency.

QuoteB) Why they must be subject to inflation

Because economies expand, and a $0.10 candy is not as valuable as a $5.99 book.

And because sometimes real items and commidities have scarcities.

Quotecan you provide me with a satisfactory answer to either of those questions or will you hide behind the Holy Man™ robes again?

I can do BOTH.  See above.  Except I don't hide BEHIND THEM, I hide INSIDE them.  With all the horrible parasitic creatures that also live inside them.  You don't want to know.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:29:56 PM
Come to think of it, how do I pay for police to keep the roads clear of bandits so I can move my chickens?

Why, sure.  With all that free time I have as a farmer, I have LOADS of time and resources to practice marksmanship and small unit tactics.

That's WAY more efficient than, say, having everyone kick in for a professional police force.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Wisa1

Ok as previously stated I am drunk and so trying to figure out all those goddamn 'quote' markers is proving beyond my powers (clearly your speed of response indicates you are of untainted mind)

However

1)Who the fuck are these 'smudgy foreigners' ? As far as I'm concerned the only "our currency" equates "our" with "humanity"

2) Although you are only 'kinda dumb' I am 'very dumb' so I'm afraid you will have to back up "I can do BOTH." with more than "See above"
-Roots Manuva

Wisa1

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 02, 2013, 10:32:55 PM

Why, sure.  With all that free time I have as a farmer, I have LOADS of time and resources to practice marksmanship and small unit tactics.

That's WAY more efficient than, say, having everyone kick in for a professional police force.
actually I'm inclined to accept your sarcasm as truth.
I farm. I have a lot of free time.
-Roots Manuva

Wisa1

Also regardless of your estimation of my own purported farming/small unit tactics skills I am confident in proclaiming that most of the real farmers I know are all excellent marksmen...
-Roots Manuva

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 02, 2013, 10:21:23 PM
Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:18:50 PM
Barter = yes but how in the fuck does that equate to "going back to the 18th century"?, did the average citizen of the 18th century have near instantaneous textual access to a large percentage of the world population?

I wish to buy a computer.  The parts for that computer are made in 6 different countries.

I have a load of chickens to trade for said computer.

HOW DO?
Finally an intelligent question.
Obviously some form of 'currency' is required however I fail to see
A) why we need 182 of them
B) Why they must be subject to inflation
can you provide me with a satisfactory answer to either of those questions or will you hide behind the Holy Man™ robes again?
[/qoute]
A) Because a single currency would be under control of a single organisation. This is VERY BAD. Also known as Totalitarian. OK, under the current system we have 182-ish smaller scale totalitarian currencies, a few pyramid schemes and a few relatively independent currencies. These independent currencies are neccesarily small scale, you would not want to trade internationally with something that is only usable in a few small towns in germany. Any larger and they start to suffer from inflation and such, on account of localized differences in perceived value. (As DOUR already (sort of) said)
Anyway, an increase in scale of a currency leads to three things:
1) Inflation, can be annoying but not usually a big problem.
2) An increase in totalitarian control, not really a problem with the right checks and balances but for everyone's sake: Don't let this one get too bad.
3) Increased viability for international trade, this is something we need to have any level of luxury.
Hmm, my format is wonky but i think i made my points clearly.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If I had a background in economics, like even one starter class to fill me in on theory and what other people have already figured out, I might be able to contribute intelligently to this discussion.

Alas, I do not, so I am pretty sure that  any ideas I have are both half-baked and fail to take into consideration almost all of the ideas everyone else already knows about.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I have no economics training, but I don't need any to notice a global economy that turns on a single point of failure makes it massively fragile, and wide open to corruption by any sufficiently powerful interest. Which, in capitalism, is inevitable.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:41:28 PM
Ok as previously stated I am drunk and so trying to figure out all those goddamn 'quote' markers is proving beyond my powers (clearly your speed of response indicates you are of untainted mind)

However

1)Who the fuck are these 'smudgy foreigners' ? As far as I'm concerned the only "our currency" equates "our" with "humanity"

2) Although you are only 'kinda dumb' I am 'very dumb' so I'm afraid you will have to back up "I can do BOTH." with more than "See above"

I stated my case AND hid inside the sanctity of my office.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:54:31 PM

Also regardless of your estimation of my own purported farming/small unit tactics skills I am confident in proclaiming that most of the real farmers I know are all excellent marksmen...

How many acres do you farm?

And how much training do these farmers you know do in small unit tactics?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wisa1 on December 02, 2013, 10:42:43 PM

actually I'm inclined to accept your sarcasm as truth.
I farm. I have a lot of free time.

You farm, you say?  Care to elaborate?  Because having grown up in a farming community, I noticed that farmers work their fingers to the fucking bone 6-1/2 days a week.

Ben Shapiro

How many chickens do I trade the bandits so they leave me alone?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 03, 2013, 12:37:08 AM
I have no economics training, but I don't need any to notice a global economy that turns on a single point of failure makes it massively fragile, and wide open to corruption by any sufficiently powerful interest. Which, in capitalism, is inevitable.

I also have no economics training, but I do know how monkeys operate.  The only thing keeping our civilization trundling along right now is inertia.  Tradition.  So the obvious thing to do is make HUGE CHANGES.

I mean, it's not like the money men will take advantage of the confusion of a currency change, right?  And it's not like you don't have the ability to do gymnastics when you're running downhill on ice.

So let's change the currency just because.  To show how clever we are.

And yes, let's have just ONE worldwide currency, so we don't have any sort of cushion effect when one economy goes down the shitter.  Remember Greece and Italy and Spain and Ireland and Iceland and half of Germany and and and

Neither do I.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Officer What's His /b/ear on December 03, 2013, 02:06:51 AM
How many chickens do I trade the bandits so they leave me alone?

There's going to be about 30 of them.  Hold them off with your trusty squirrel rifle. 

ARE YOU A MOUSE OR ARE YOU RAMBO?