News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Peleo thoughts.

Started by Salty, April 10, 2013, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

I've been reading about the peleo diet. I have many thoughts and am still looking through it, so I'll have more.

Firstly, I don't see any flat out unhealthy and dangerous advice there, provided the user does not cram their bodies with as much fruit as they can manage.

Secondly, the better researched, better thought out resources I found agree that, obviously, dairy is fine to consume, especially if it is cultured. Yogurt is hella good for you, if you avoid the cheap, syrupy shit. Cheddar cheese is good for you, it helps regulate bacteria in your mouth. Milk itself is different, as it is so high in lactose, and I think we can all agree that lactose isn't all that fucking swell...BUT...

Thirdly,  grains. We haven't had access to grains (as we typically enjoy it in the civilized worked) as we do now until very recently in our DNA's history, so the argument goes.

And I can see their point, especially with regard to inflammation. I get it. We need fat, we are fatty acids deep down, trying to get laid, we need more fat to make that fat. Apes and cows and shit ferment food in their bellies to make fat. FAT FAT FAT. All those carbs, they don't make US as efficiently as straight up fat.

But the thing of it is, we have only been very interesting since about the same time we DID start eating grains. Because we are not simple mammals hopping to and fro in the delights of the "natural" world. No, we are mean, predatory, meat eating savage apes. We are the worst kinds of motherfucking scum in the animal kingdom, and I find that empowering.

The point was....

Oh yeah, grains MAKE you GO. And they are cheap, easy to store, multifaceted in use/application/form, easier to control than livestock or fruit trees, fill you up, and allow you to stretch beyond your reach.

And, shit man, that's what MAKES us human. We reach beyond what we can see, beyond what we can do. That's our nature. If the fox is cunning and the rabbit afraid and the lion fearless, we reach beyond our ability.

And we do it dirty when we do it. Just look at how much we have to shit in our own house to get to the stars. Grains are the fossil fuels your body uses to boost to the motherfucking SCIENCE! that will enable you to DO.

Also, a person can only eat so many sweet potatoes.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on April 10, 2013, 07:20:48 PM
But the thing of it is, we have only been very interesting since about the same time we DID start eating grains. Because we are not simple mammals hopping to and fro in the delights of the "natural" world. No, we are mean, predatory, meat eating savage apes. We are the worst kinds of motherfucking scum in the animal kingdom, and I find that empowering.

We are the weaponized ape.  We are no longer the creatures we were hundreds of thousands of years ago.  Or even 10,000 years ago.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 09:18:29 PM
Quote from: Alty on April 10, 2013, 07:20:48 PM

We are the weaponized ape.  We are no longer the creatures we were hundreds of thousands of years ago.  Or even 10,000 years ago.

YES. Our DNA may or may want to live in harmony, but it wants to spread regardless. Things don't evolve because they do the same damned thing in the same damned condition for the entirety if their existence. We change, and we can DIRECT that change.

Weaponized Ape, I like that.

Q. G. Pennyworth

These guys think they knowThe Answer to obesity. I don't trust anybody like that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 10, 2013, 09:33:03 PM
These guys think they knowThe Answer to obesity. I don't trust anybody like that.

I know the answer.

1.  Get your thyroid checked.  If that's okay,

2.  Eat less, exercise more.

#2 is a good idea no matter what.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Salty

While obesity is a concern addressed by this diet, I do not think it is the main purpose. The primary goal appears to be better nutrient absorbtion and reduction of inflammation at the cellular level. Which, this diet SHOULD accomplish.

I'm saying some inflammation got us to the moon.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on April 10, 2013, 10:28:24 PM
While obesity is a concern addressed by this diet, I do not think it is the main purpose. The primary goal appears to be better nutrient absorbtion and reduction of inflammation at the cellular level. Which, this diet SHOULD accomplish.

I'm saying that inflammation is ALL I HAVE LEFT.   :mad:

Salty

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 10:43:00 PM

:lulz:

Perhaps that's what draws Utopians unto you like so many fruit flies. Its what draws us all into Tucson. Like a vibrating bumblebee dance of DOOM and FUN.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on April 10, 2013, 11:27:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 10:43:00 PM

:lulz:

Perhaps that's what draws Utopians unto you like so many fruit flies. Its what draws us all into Tucson. Like a vibrating bumblebee dance of DOOM and FUN.

Damn straight.  Grouchy apes make the world FUN.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I need to know a lit more science before I can really address this "inflammation" issue, but

1. A lot of foods are "inflammatory".

2. We are learning that genetic adaptations can take place as quickly as a single generation due to protein binding.

3. If dogs adapted to be able to better digest cooked grains in their relatively short association with humans, why the fuck wouldn't we, when we invented the shit?

4. It reeks of pseudoscience and bullshit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 02:29:24 AM
I need to know a lit more science before I can really address this "inflammation" issue, but

2. We are learning that genetic adaptations can take place as quickly as a single generation due to protein binding.

3. If dogs adapted to be able to better digest cooked grains in their relatively short association with humans, why the fuck wouldn't we, when we invented the shit?

To the last, yes. But with my limited understanding of science the best way to sort through these things is to give it to you people.

Please do share anything you find, I will do the same. .

There's a lot.of.mixed info out there, much of it seeming based of Weston A Price's Nutritionand Degenerative somethinf something, which funnily enough, I bought the other day. That shit was written in 1930 something if my faulty memory serves correctly.

Actually, aside from the grains thing, it seems fairly sound with regard to fat, types of fat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 02:29:24 AM

I smell...TROLLBAIT!

ALTY, GRAB US THE LINK!

Salty

That sounds like fun. I'll see if I can hunt down some peleonerds and we will SCIENCE! them good and hard .

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."