News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Peleo thoughts.

Started by Salty, April 10, 2013, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 01:14:35 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 11, 2013, 08:04:40 PM
In defense of the "maybe it's gluten" crowd, my kinda-step-daughter was hospitalized for two months before a family member finally suggested that the doctors check for celiac's.

Some people do, in fact, have a life-threatening reaction to gluten.

Some people have a life-threatening reaction to allium. I have a friend who does.

Neither of those facts are a reason for half the population to become obsessed with cutting gluten and allium out of their diets as a magical cure-all.

Agreed, I just have a certain amount of sympathy for people who are trying it out or recommending it to other people with GI issues that are being ignored by or confusing the hell out of their doctors. I am incredibly sick of the "X FOOD CAUSES DEPRESSION" meme, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 12, 2013, 01:49:30 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 01:14:35 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 11, 2013, 08:04:40 PM
In defense of the "maybe it's gluten" crowd, my kinda-step-daughter was hospitalized for two months before a family member finally suggested that the doctors check for celiac's.

Some people do, in fact, have a life-threatening reaction to gluten.

Some people have a life-threatening reaction to allium. I have a friend who does.

Neither of those facts are a reason for half the population to become obsessed with cutting gluten and allium out of their diets as a magical cure-all.

Agreed, I just have a certain amount of sympathy for people who are trying it out or recommending it to other people with GI issues that are being ignored by or confusing the hell out of their doctors. I am incredibly sick of the "X FOOD CAUSES DEPRESSION" meme, though.

I'm sick of ANYTIME I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ANY HEALTH PROBLEM WHATSOEVER, about nine people saying "ARE YOU SURE IT ISN'T GLUTEN???"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

IT'S PROBABLY GLUTEN

I posted ton FB that I'm finally accepting that I'm allergic to beer, and a million people were all GLUTEN! even though THAT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE and also it's the hops.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 03:05:50 AM
IT'S PROBABLY GLUTEN

I posted ton FB that I'm finally accepting that I'm allergic to beer, and a million people were all GLUTEN! even though THAT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE and also it's the hops.

Maybe it's the gluten in the hops.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nast

I can so totally get behind the mass hysteria of the Allium Free Healthy Living FB group! Lol.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

The only logical plan of action is to start blaming alliums as the cause of increasingly ridiculous conditions...alliums caused my irritable bowel syndrome....alliums caused my rheumatoid arthritis...alliums caused MY CHILD'S AUTISM.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 01:16:47 AM
I have a life-threatening allergy to honeydew melon. That would be a really stupid reason for everyone else on earth to quit eating cucurbits...

Really?

That's the first time I've heard that one. Given my line of work, I've sort of made a hobby out of "collecting" unusual food allergies. It's also the first time I've heard the term "cucurbits".

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

IT'S PROBABLY GLUTEN

you should maybe try some quinoa beer.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Pergamos

Gluten free brewing actually had it's own board on the homebrew board I used to frequent.

Cain

Eater of Clowns

I love the Allium allergy idea.  It's really beautiful.

Quote from: Balls Wellington on April 12, 2013, 09:33:21 AM
IT'S PROBABLY GLUTEN

you should maybe try some quinoa beer.

:lulz:  That sounds pretty tasty!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Quote from: Nast on April 12, 2013, 07:08:55 AM
...alliums caused MY CHILD'S AUTISM.

Someone contact Jenny McCarthy!

LMNO

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Pergamos on April 12, 2013, 12:17:41 PM
Gluten free brewing actually had it's own board on the homebrew board I used to frequent.

That's good. It should be segregated and kept in its ghetto and NEVER allowed to intermingle with anything related to actual beer.