News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Quite possibly the greatest text message troll ever.

Started by Suu, April 13, 2013, 04:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Here are a couple of examples of what you can expect on Xbox if you know how to aim and understand more or less how a game works.

Link 1Link 2Link 3Link 4.

Cain

Quote from: Cain on April 17, 2013, 02:33:17 PM
on PC it's almost entirely silent, with the occasional "thanks" or "watch out behind you".

Of course, the very next match I had after saying this involved a French guy swearing quite creatively over the mic.

In his defense, the French guy had every right to be swearing at our team mate, who didn't help with the fucking objectives.  Enjoy your free money, arsehole.

And this game almost drove me to swearing:

Yes, that's me, scoring over three times as much as the next person.  Argh.

Junkenstein

QuoteCool. I've also heard that games with reputation and feedback systems in place are better.

For any who are interested in this stuff, I've been through a lot of Mechanism Design stuff in relation to game theory. You can pretty much design a game that results in online community taking substantially different forms. Some games are designed in such a way that only wankers tend to play, others are much more welcoming. The short version is multiple things in the game itself will create certain behaviours once you enable communication between players. If anyone's interested I'll pull together a (very) rough intro.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

That's kind of interesting from a social engineering perspective.  I'd read it.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 17, 2013, 07:50:13 PM
QuoteCool. I've also heard that games with reputation and feedback systems in place are better.

For any who are interested in this stuff, I've been through a lot of Mechanism Design stuff in relation to game theory. You can pretty much design a game that results in online community taking substantially different forms. Some games are designed in such a way that only wankers tend to play, others are much more welcoming. The short version is multiple things in the game itself will create certain behaviours once you enable communication between players. If anyone's interested I'll pull together a (very) rough intro.

That would be awesome! Would help me filter the more fun than bullshit from the more bullshit than fun.

navkat

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 16, 2013, 09:33:10 PM
I know this isn't the way the universe works, but in my heart of hearts, I hope there's some guy on a forum somewhere saying, "Dudes, I'm trolling an entire fucking website with my Jacob The Retarded Stalker routine."

I totally hoped that for 250 pages.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 18, 2013, 05:53:50 AM
I know this isn't the way the universe works, but in my heart of hearts, I hope there's some guy on a forum somewhere saying, "Dudes, I'm trolling an entire fucking website with my Jacob The Retarded Stalker routine."

Yeah, that would have been the most epic of all possible endings.

But, no, instead its a socially crippled pedotard getting ganged up on by internet bullies who didn't mean to be bullies and still kinda mostly don't realize that's what it's turned into.

It's kind of THE SADDEST THING EVER.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 18, 2013, 07:03:12 AM

But, no, instead its a socially crippled pedotard getting ganged up on by internet bullies who didn't mean to be bullies and still kinda mostly don't realize that's what it's turned into.

especially when they aren't shining examples of being respectful to women, themselves...

navkat

Quote from: Pixie on April 18, 2013, 07:20:48 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 18, 2013, 07:03:12 AM

especially when they aren't shining examples of being respectful to women, themselves...

The fact that you two got this without my saying anything: why I still come here despite the abuse and Discordia not being "very nice at all."

I'm wondering if we all got the "stomach turn" feeling at the same exact point.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Here's the restructured condensed version in chronological order. http://jacobearog.tumblr.com/

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner