News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

PICS VIII: 10% LARGER THAN PICS VII

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, April 12, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Johnny on June 09, 2013, 01:31:17 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 09, 2013, 01:07:25 AM
Quote from: six to the quixotic on June 09, 2013, 01:03:46 AM
Quote from: Pæs on June 09, 2013, 12:14:46 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 01, 2013, 07:40:50 PM
Quote from: stelz on June 01, 2013, 06:43:10 PM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: This meme is hilarious.
That imageset bothers me in ways I find hard to describe.

First off, it's perfectly transparent about advertising snickers. But, it doesn't even get their ad right.

Second, it implies that (1) God speaks english, (2) he's unreasonable in his desire to kill everyone, (3) he's only trying to kill everyone because he's hungry, and (4) a candy bar will make him feel better.

In other words, the person who initially made it completely failed (on many levels) to comprehend the basic ideas of both The Bible and candy bar commercials, and yet decided to combine them anyway. Probably, if I posted this rant to him directly, he'd have a hissy fit and complain about how I'm ruining his fun.

I guess what really bothers me is that the world contains people like the one who made that photoset and posted it initially without realizing anything was wrong with it.

I'm fucking dying.

That phrase bothers me in ways I find hard to describe.

First off, it's perfectly transparent about advertising sex and dying. But, it doesn't even get their ad right.

Second, it implies that (1) Phrases on the internet and elsewhere can kill people, (2) that it kills you in such a way that you still have time to tell us about it, (3) that you have nothing better to do with your final moments on this earth, and (4) the Welsh have learnt to type in English.

In other words, the person who makes such a comment completely fails (on many levels) to comprehend the basic ideas of both fucking and dying, and yet decided to combine them anyway. Probably, if I posted this rant to him directly, he'd have a hissy fit and complain about how I'm ruining his fun.

I guess what really bothers me is that the world contains people like the one who made that kind of comment and posted it initially without realizing anything was wrong with it.

OMG i created a monster  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

That phrase bothers me in ways I find hard to describe.

First off, it's perfectly transparent about advertising military-industrial complex producing genetic horrors for war. But, it doesn't even get their ad right.

Second, it implies that (1) Phrases on the internet and elsewhere can create monster, (2) that it creates monsters of such direness that common people should worry but there is no news coverage, (3) that you find the creation of eldritch abominations humorous, and (4) Mexico is a real place.

In other words, the person who makes such a comment completely fails (on many levels) to comprehend the basic ideas of both monsters and humor, and yet decided to combine them anyway. Probably, if I posted this rant to him directly, he'd have a hissy fit and complain about how I'm ruining his fun.

I guess what really bothers me is that the world contains people like the one who made that kind of comment and posted it initially without realizing anything was wrong with it.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 09, 2013, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on June 09, 2013, 05:06:51 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on June 08, 2013, 04:56:57 AM

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on June 05, 2013, 11:45:39 PM

what is this even? duck reflections?
So far as I can tell, the ducks are real, and everything else is a reflection.

No, the ducks are swimming in the sky.

Duh.

No, it's the END TIEMS. Strange signs in the sky, etc.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Don Coyote

I made a thing. It's not funny.

So I cannot spell for crap.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Anna Mae Bollocks

Those are great. :) I like the metaphor in them.
Repair cracks and breakage with gold. Not POOMP.  :p

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What did you add?

I quite like it, I didn't know about this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

I've seen the top part making the rounds for awhile, I think he added the bottom one?

Don Coyote

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 09, 2013, 08:17:58 PM
What did you add?

I quite like it, I didn't know about this.
The second tea bowl and the text that follows it. It's a response to the top half that I've seen floating around for a while that has been bugging me. I finally sat down and decided to make a rebuttal of sorts to it. The primary reason it bugs me is that is a rather well thrown bowl with a well done but uniform glaze that suddenly becomes wabi-sabi because of the kintsukuroi, which is actually true, but it, to me at least, distorts wabi-sabi into something clean and easy to understand for westerners. Wabi-sabi being the aesthetic that celebrates imperfections and the like, the top piece demonstrates wabi-sabi by being broken and repaired, and through the contrast of humble clay and gold, which Seppo also demonstrates, but Seppo goes a lot farther to demonstrate wabi-sabi because it was intentionally made in a certain manner, and then became broken and repaired. In most cases when a tea bowl was named it wasn't because it was an art piece, but because it was a kami. And many tea bowls are still treated as kami today.
I just wish I knew the name of the top piece.

Don Coyote

Admittedly I may be biased as I did a paper on Seppo when I was a sophmore.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

This is the first I've heard of tea-bowls being venerated as gods. Nice :-)

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on June 09, 2013, 08:50:03 PM
This is the first I've heard of tea-bowls being venerated as gods. Nice :-)
Technically a kami is and isn't a god, and this veneration of things as kami is kinda wide spread throughout Shinto. Weird looking rock? Kami. Awesome tree? Kami. Little pebble? Sure kami. Pen? Kami.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

*nod* Shintoism is very different from even western polytheistic and animistic systems.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cainad (dec.)

Left

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Wabi-sabi (侘寂?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[1] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin?), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō?), the other two being suffering (苦 ku?) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空 kū?).

Interesting.
Thanks for introducing me to this concept, six.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy