News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

PICS VIII: 10% LARGER THAN PICS VII

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, April 12, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

I think the issue is that FB automatically creates a thumbnail. It'll still link to the animated GIF, but it'll only display the non-animated thumbnail on FB's side.

IIRC, even the full size images are rehosted on a facebook domain.

Triple Zero

I see, that makes sense.

:argh!:

if I was on Facebook I'd totally be fucking its shit
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 30, 2013, 08:26:53 AM
Quote from: V3X on July 30, 2013, 04:36:05 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on July 30, 2013, 03:55:49 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 30, 2013, 03:15:29 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2013, 02:57:19 AM

Oh shit yes, this one.

Tactical nuke for facebook feed :lulz:

Facebook doesn't support GIFs though :(

Wat. FB shouldn't be able to do that.

What if you rename to .jpg, rehost it somewhere and post that on a feed?

Most browsers determine the actual filetype after download, so they will display the animation (just checked this with Chrome). I doubt FB checks more than the link's extension, instead of downloading and checking all the hotlinked images' data to see if they match up with their extension.

But I just checked, Imgur will give you a link with the proper extension, and Photobucket just refuses to accept images with the wrong extension. So you need to find some other hosting that'll allow you to do this. Dropbox can't tell you what to name your files, you can link to that (right-click, share link, go to that page, right-click the "direct download" menu option, and remove everything after the ? in the URL). Or just on a personal server.

I'd check if this works but I still refuse to get a FB acct.

Question is, how much trouble do you want to go through to post an animated GIF on FB? ;-)

Facebook converts all uploaded images into jpegs at something like 80% quality, and downscales them to a particular size if they are larger. If you post a link to an image, the thumbnail is created, which is also a jpeg and is also of a specified width.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Left

Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Bu🤠ns

Rococo Modem Basilisk

McGrupp

I'm extremely late to the memegenerator party but I just started messing around with it. I'm trying to find gentler ways to get points across on facebook.

LMNO

Dear McGrupp:

Please create more of these.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel