News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Words cannot express my disappointment with the East Coast.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 16, 2013, 02:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

So, on Facebook, Suu mentions that Westboro Baptist are going to "protest" the funerals of the two people killed in Boston today.

Then she and her buddies wax rhapsodic about forming a mob and stomping them, which is something I would expect in Phoenix or Seguin.  I rely on the East coast as the last bulwark against po'bucker fucking lynch mobs.

Yeah, I hate the WBC baptists, too, but there's a little tradition we have in this country, something about FREEDOM OF SPEECH WITHOUT HAVING YOUR ASS KICKED.  This doesn't apply in Arizona or much of Texas.  I didn't expect this shit in providence or Boston.

Goddamn yahoos everywhere.  "I HATE THESE GUYS, LET'S STOMP THEM".

FUCK YOU.  Seriously.  Goddamn savages.

Blocked the whole pile of them.  Assholes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Whoa, whoa, whoa...did you not say that I said you were correct? They ARE protected by the 1st Amendment. Nothing is going to happen to those fuckers in Boston if nothing happened in Manhattan. All I said was that I would go up there for a counter-protest, I never said I would fucking start a riot, THAT was someone else.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Saw what you said.  Twice.

I expect that sort of shit out here, where the savages live.  You may recall that Westboro was at the Pride Parade on the common when I was visiting.  We MOCKED them.  We LAUGHED at them.  THAT is the proper fucking response, not that volcano of fucking testosterone on Facebook.

My image of Boston - and the East coast in general - today was of regular people running toward the blast, to help the victims.

Thank you for denting that image.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 02:35:42 AM

I expect that sort of shit out here, where the savages live. You may recall that Westboro was at the Pride Parade on the common when I was visiting.  We MOCKED them.  We LAUGHED at them.  THAT is the proper fucking response, not that volcano of fucking testosterone on Facebook.

My image of Boston - and the East coast in general - today was of regular people running toward the blast, to help the victims.

I'd have liked to have kept that image for a couple of days, too, before something fucked it up.  :sad:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Best part was being called a troll by one of the goons for suggesting that a mob action isn't an appropriate response for unpopular speech.

Suu

John, one of those guys who was all riled up, was one of those EMTs.

If he needs to blow some steam with a couple of beers on Facebook, I'm not going to be the one to stop him.

You also should expect that emotions are going to vary ever so slightly from a pride parade to a fucking bombing, Roger. I'm not going to tell you to relax, because you're totally in the right, but damnit, I think it's safe to say that my friends are shaken up right now. My dad, a relatively liberal man, came home on 9/11/2001 early, pointed at the TV and said, "I want those fucking towelheads turned to glass!" Did he mean it? At the time, probably, but I assure you he's not the man that wishes for nuclear war.

You're the one that always talks about humans being apes and bipeds, and yeah, so they may not be bipeds, but they sure as hell are apes. Living in a certain corner of the world doesn't fix the need to throw shit at each other. It's just an illusion. The Northeast is just as fucked as the rest of the country, we just have a lot more people to hate in a smaller area.

We've come together a lot this past year. We had Sandy, we had that fucking storm after Sandy, we had Sandy Hook, and now this. There's only so much people are going to handle before they snap. What's next?

Friends are becoming enemies up here right now because of differences in fucking gun laws. There are people I know in New Hampshire that are seriously forming a militia to try to "liberate" Massachusetts. No, I'm NOT kidding. It's getting fucking stupid, and scary at the same time.  Patriot's Day and the Boston Marathon are sacred to people around here, and their status quo was just shaken up big time. Let them simmer down. Let the answers come in, and people will re-think actually hurting someone and probably just go, "Eh, ignore those cocksuckas."

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Not related to suu, et al, but I am trying to spread a rationalist "our"/"my" Discordia when I can re: not assuming, not jumping to conclusions, not letting vengeance rule.

It's fucking hard work, and that plus the honest emotion led me to the bourbon. But the fight continues.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on April 16, 2013, 02:56:11 AM

We've come together a lot this past year. We had Sandy, we had that fucking storm after Sandy, we had Sandy Hook, and now this. There's only so much people are going to handle before they snap. What's next?

I seem to remember hearing a bunch of Rumsfeld asskisser types saying, after 911, that "the constitution wasn't designed for a crisis like this."

I can understand the actual bomber, if caught by citizens, being stomped.  I don't condone it, on account of the rule of law, but I understand it.

But THIS was like watching the village toss a rope over a branch for the village idiot, because a fox had gotten into the hen house.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 16, 2013, 02:56:28 AM
Not related to suu, et al, but I am trying to spread a rationalist "our"/"my" Discordia when I can re: not assuming, not jumping to conclusions, not letting vengeance rule.

It's fucking hard work, and that plus the honest emotion led me to the bourbon. But the fight continues.

Losing your shit in a crisis isn't what I saw this afternoon.  I saw GUTS.

THAT is what I'd like to take from this.  I still am, but that thread made it a bit more difficult.

Richter

Back when the Iraq war (ver 1.0) started, I remember asking dad if it was time for us to torch an Iraqi flag.  I was howeverfuckignoyung, and didn't know better yet.  All those nuts on the news who hated the USA were doing it, turnabout being fair play and all.  Can't recall his answer verbatim, but I recall the gist: you keep your own behavior better than (not less than, or equal to) those you're fighting.  Not for the sake of any moral high ground, just when they're paste you need to be the one worth still having around, or nothing ever improves.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 03:02:25 AM

I seem to remember hearing a bunch of Rumsfeld asskisser types saying, after 911, that "the constitution wasn't designed for a crisis like this."

I can understand the actual bomber, if caught by citizens, being stomped.  I don't condone it, on account of the rule of law, but I understand it.

But THIS was like watching the village toss a rope over a branch for the village idiot, because a fox had gotten into the hen house.

I agree.

But I'd be damned if I shed a tear if Fred and Shirley Phelps end up with concrete shoes at the bottom of the Harbor, either. Sorry.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 03:03:47 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 16, 2013, 02:56:28 AM

Losing your shit in a crisis isn't what I saw this afternoon.  I saw GUTS.

THAT is what I'd like to take from this.  I still am, but that thread made it a bit more difficult.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/photos-stories-kindness-boston-marathon-bombing/64258/#.UWytRpCs5aQ.facebook

Also I have to admit, the first person I thought of was LMNO. I was getting ready to get my ass handed to me by a professor over a paper, and I thought of some guy I met on the internet who works in Copley.

Okay no I lied, the first thing I thought of were Mooninites.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on April 16, 2013, 03:09:48 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 03:02:25 AM

I agree.

But I'd be damned if I shed a tear if Fred and Shirley Phelps end up with concrete shoes at the bottom of the Harbor, either. Sorry.

Then just toss the one good thing about the USA right in after them, m'kay?  Because we won't be needing it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on April 16, 2013, 03:07:05 AM
Back when the Iraq war (ver 1.0) started, I remember asking dad if it was time for us to torch an Iraqi flag.  I was howeverfuckignoyung, and didn't know better yet.  All those nuts on the news who hated the USA were doing it, turnabout being fair play and all.  Can't recall his answer verbatim, but I recall the gist: you keep your own behavior better than (not less than, or equal to) those you're fighting.  Not for the sake of any moral high ground, just when they're paste you need to be the one worth still having around, or nothing ever improves.

Damn right.

And the WORST thing you can do in a crisis is start a Goddamn vigilance committee to handle people who are insufficiently on board.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: stelz on April 16, 2013, 02:40:46 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 02:35:42 AM

I expect that sort of shit out here, where the savages live. You may recall that Westboro was at the Pride Parade on the common when I was visiting.  We MOCKED them.  We LAUGHED at them.  THAT is the proper fucking response, not that volcano of fucking testosterone on Facebook.

I'd have liked to have kept that image for a couple of days, too, before something fucked it up.  :sad:

Yeah. It would have been nice...just a couple of days.

:sad:

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division