News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Words cannot express my disappointment with the East Coast.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 16, 2013, 02:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 03:14:45 AM
Quote from: Richter on April 16, 2013, 03:07:05 AM
Back when the Iraq war (ver 1.0) started, I remember asking dad if it was time for us to torch an Iraqi flag.  I was howeverfuckignoyung, and didn't know better yet.  All those nuts on the news who hated the USA were doing it, turnabout being fair play and all.  Can't recall his answer verbatim, but I recall the gist: you keep your own behavior better than (not less than, or equal to) those you're fighting.  Not for the sake of any moral high ground, just when they're paste you need to be the one worth still having around, or nothing ever improves.

Damn right.

And the WORST thing you can do in a crisis is start a Goddamn vigilance committee to handle people who are insufficiently on board.

"Oh, the watchers aren't there for YOU.  We only put them there to catch the TRAITORS.  ...and we know you're not a TRAITOR.  RIGHT?"
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on April 16, 2013, 03:18:59 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 03:14:45 AM
Quote from: Richter on April 16, 2013, 03:07:05 AM
Back when the Iraq war (ver 1.0) started, I remember asking dad if it was time for us to torch an Iraqi flag.  I was howeverfuckignoyung, and didn't know better yet.  All those nuts on the news who hated the USA were doing it, turnabout being fair play and all.  Can't recall his answer verbatim, but I recall the gist: you keep your own behavior better than (not less than, or equal to) those you're fighting.  Not for the sake of any moral high ground, just when they're paste you need to be the one worth still having around, or nothing ever improves.

Damn right.

And the WORST thing you can do in a crisis is start a Goddamn vigilance committee to handle people who are insufficiently on board.

"Oh, the watchers aren't there for YOU.  We only put them there to catch the TRAITORS.  ...and we know you're not a TRAITOR.  RIGHT?"

If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to be afraid of.

If you've done nothing, you have nothing to be afraid of.

If you've done nothing, you have nothing.

You have nothing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Yeah, we all know what happens after stuff like this.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Suu

I'm going to take a shot of bourbon and go to bed.

It's not going to help, or make me feel any better, or change what I said, but it sounds like a good idea.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Quote from: Suu on April 16, 2013, 03:12:22 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 03:03:47 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 16, 2013, 02:56:28 AM
Not related to suu, et al, but I am trying to spread a rationalist "our"/"my" Discordia when I can re: not assuming, not jumping to conclusions, not letting vengeance rule.

It's fucking hard work, and that plus the honest emotion led me to the bourbon. But the fight continues.

Losing your shit in a crisis isn't what I saw this afternoon.  I saw GUTS.

THAT is what I'd like to take from this.  I still am, but that thread made it a bit more difficult.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/photos-stories-kindness-boston-marathon-bombing/64258/#.UWytRpCs5aQ.facebook

Also I have to admit, the first person I thought of was LMNO. I was getting ready to get my ass handed to me by a professor over a paper, and I thought of some guy I met on the internet who works in Copley.

Okay no I lied, the first thing I thought of were Mooninites.

I appreciate your thoughts, and yeah-- the Mooninites came to mind, as well.

No worries, no fault, no blame. Expressing is not the same as acting, even if you're on Facebook.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: stelz on April 16, 2013, 03:15:48 AM
Quote from: stelz on April 16, 2013, 02:40:46 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 02:35:42 AM
Saw what you said.  Twice.

I expect that sort of shit out here, where the savages live. You may recall that Westboro was at the Pride Parade on the common when I was visiting.  We MOCKED them.  We LAUGHED at them.  THAT is the proper fucking response, not that volcano of fucking testosterone on Facebook.

My image of Boston - and the East coast in general - today was of regular people running toward the blast, to help the victims.

Thank you for denting that image.

I'd have liked to have kept that image for a couple of days, too, before something fucked it up.  :sad:

Yeah. It would have been nice...just a couple of days.

:sad:

Yeah I was raging pretty fucking hard all the fucking retards trying to turn this into a political agenda. Can't wait to leave for New England in a few years. What triggered my go fuck yourself button was hearing about the DHS "buying" a load of sugar early this week derp homemade C4.Hearing about actual cops going above and beyond for the left behind was amazing to see. Can't wait to troll and blast all the False flag fear mongers tomorrow. East coast has it's yahoos with a heart of gold so they still get a free pass, but fuck the yahoos down here in Texas who have wet dreams of Alex Jones and Ron Paul leading the next American War.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: /b/earman on April 16, 2013, 06:14:09 AM
Quote from: stelz on April 16, 2013, 03:15:48 AM
Quote from: stelz on April 16, 2013, 02:40:46 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 02:35:42 AM
Saw what you said.  Twice.

I expect that sort of shit out here, where the savages live. You may recall that Westboro was at the Pride Parade on the common when I was visiting.  We MOCKED them.  We LAUGHED at them.  THAT is the proper fucking response, not that volcano of fucking testosterone on Facebook.

My image of Boston - and the East coast in general - today was of regular people running toward the blast, to help the victims.

Thank you for denting that image.

I'd have liked to have kept that image for a couple of days, too, before something fucked it up.  :sad:

Yeah. It would have been nice...just a couple of days.

:sad:

Yeah I was raging pretty fucking hard all the fucking retards trying to turn this into a political agenda. Can't wait to leave for New England a in a few years. What trigger my go fuck yourself button was hearing about the DHS "buying" a load of sugar early this week. /facepalm  Hearing about actual cops going above and beyond for the left behind was amazing to see. Can't wait to troll and blast all the False flag fear mongers tomorrow. East coast has it's yahoos with a heart of gold, but fuck the yahoos down here in Texas who have wet dreams of Alex Jones and Ron Paul leading the next American War.

I'm actually pretty proud to hear about the normal jack-offs like me running towards the explosions to helps. We're not known for being particularly friendly. We largely ignore each other unless we know the person or are directly asked for help. I suppose it's a consequence of being in a medium sized city with fickle weather. I've seen some cheesy shit online of the order of "you fucked with the wrong city" and having our sports mascots looking like they're ready for giving the Southie Shuffle and others that say "Like a Bos" with "Bos" being in the same font that the BPD uses for their logo. But just the idea that people overrode their instincts to run, and negate diffusion of responsibility.... That makes me proud, that makes me hope that there's something noble about us as a species.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 02:26:42 AM
forming a mob and stomping them

In addition to what you said, this is exactly what they want, anyway.

Phelps is a lawyer, with experience in the Civil Rights movement.  The Church funds its protests from legal fees from people who assault them.  It costs the WBC $250k annually to attend the protests they do, and they typically protest six different locations a day.

In addition to the freedom of speech issue, if you really want to strike a blow against the WBC, the best thing to is totally ignore them.  Without zealous idiots forming a lynch mob, their source of revenue dries up, and they wont be able to afford to protest.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got all fucking emotional today about it... walked out of the classroom and listened to a message from Roger saying that all our friends were OK and didn't get hurt in the bombing, texted him WHAT, WHAT BOMBING!? and then got all choked up on the phone with him when he called me and told me what happened.

Would really rather hang onto the fact that the crowd ran into the blast zone to help, than know that some big-britches were advocating violence afterward.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 16, 2013, 07:30:31 AM
I got all fucking emotional today about it... walked out of the classroom and listened to a message from Roger saying that all our friends were OK and didn't get hurt in the bombing, texted him WHAT, WHAT BOMBING!? and then got all choked up on the phone with him when he called me and told me what happened.

Would really rather hang onto the fact that the crowd ran into the blast zone to help, than know that some big-britches were advocating violence afterward.

There's always going to be big-britches mouthing off after. Better to focus on the legitimate heroism, rather than the pretend variety that comes with too much testosterone and too little security with one's self.

I'm still proud of what random folk did here today to help the wounded.

I'm also really glad I wasn't there at all.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cain on April 16, 2013, 07:03:15 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2013, 02:26:42 AM
forming a mob and stomping them

In addition to what you said, this is exactly what they want, anyway.

Phelps is a lawyer, with experience in the Civil Rights movement.  The Church funds its protests from legal fees from people who assault them.  It costs the WBC $250k annually to attend the protests they do, and they typically protest six different locations a day.

In addition to the freedom of speech issue, if you really want to strike a blow against the WBC, the best thing to is totally ignore them.  Without zealous idiots forming a lynch mob, their source of revenue dries up, and they wont be able to afford to protest.

Permission to quote? This needs to be spread around.

Cain

Go ahead.  The more people who understand the economics of Phelps, the better.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Thanks.

I think I read someplace that there's only about forty members in that church, and nobody questions where they get the money.

Cain

They don't accept public donations either.  I mean, they are quite clear about how they finance their operation, but no-one else seems to think about it.  A $250k operating budget should command a bit of thought, in my book.

Junkenstein

With every new bit of info about the WBC, I become a little more certain that they are actually a very, very elaborate atheist troll.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.