News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Help me narrow down my major

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, April 16, 2013, 07:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

So, before all the shit went down today I was thinking about what I want to do, and what degree would serve me the best, since I'm going to have to change my major very soon, as I've been putting the decision off.

-It's gotta be a science.
-It's gotta have good career prospects, at least within the Boston area (this skews heavily towards biology)
-I don't want to work with patients.
-I don't need to be rich, I just don't want to get shit pay.
-I would prefer it if it could help people. ie, I don't want to build weapons or shit like that. I want to improve the world, even if in a small way.
-I don't want to be bored. I want to take pride in my work.

So, I'm thinking, biology of some flavor, engineering, environmental sciences or chemistry. I'm willing to entertain computer sciences, but that might add more boredom. Or rather tediousness. Engineering may pose a problem in that I've never actually built anything, but if you know a website where I can tinker with rudimentary projects to get a feel if it's something I want to try, feel free. My favorite science is astronomy and related fields but that's too specialized and I don't want to go to school until I'm in my 40s.

I'd take a general science program if I could, but, well, I can't.

Twid,
31 and abandoning History, and BA's in general.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Pergamos

How about microbiology?  Do you like microscopes?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pergamos on April 16, 2013, 07:22:30 AM
How about microbiology?  Do you like microscopes?

I'm cool with microscopes. That's definitely something to consider. That could also lead me to working in the same building I work in now, but a few floors up. Which means that I have a legit claim to tuition remission through work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm thinking biochemistry, microbiology, or biophysics. All solid research fields with good career options. I feel strongly that biotechnology and bioresearch is where it's going to be at in the next couple decades. If you could relocate to Chicago, I would suggest neuroscience, because holy shit.

Environmental science could be a good field too.

I would only go for engineering if you absolutely love it.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you love astronomy, consider astrophysics. Sure, it's a lot of school, but you love it and it pays well, although you would almost certainly have to relocate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 16, 2013, 07:36:22 AM
If you love astronomy, consider astrophysics. Sure, it's a lot of school, but you love it and it pays well, although you would almost certainly have to relocate.

I do really love astronomy, but am unwilling to live outside of Boston, and I would prefer to get on with a career. I've wasted a lot of time. Well, maybe I could, but I would like to exhaust my options here first. Either way, I have to go to school in Boston, so I would be best served with a Physics BS if I wanted to follow that route.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 16, 2013, 07:34:42 AM
I'm thinking biochemistry, microbiology, or biophysics. All solid research fields with good career options. I feel strongly that biotechnology and bioresearch is where it's going to be at in the next couple decades. If you could relocate to Chicago, I would suggest neuroscience, because holy shit.

I don't know if I love engineering. I've never really tried it. I'm ambivalent about it, but I'd be less so if I could take an introductory course to get a sense of it. But that might complicate things. The bios you list are probably really good routes, especially here.

Ben Shapiro

Biomedical field. The one that create limbs, and works on growing organs/skin for people. If you end up in a company that makes penis enlargement pills, and better fake tits collect paycheck, and try looking into respectable companies.

Ben Shapiro

If you do not like doing handyman things,tinkering, the smell of wires,metal,grease, or have the obsession to just keep messing with things then skip engineering unless it's really easy for you, and care more about the dough. In which case make some serious bank then pursue passion etc...

Tom Araya was a medical therapist before joining Slayer. He used the dough to fund the band.

Faust

You didn't hear it from me but bioelectronics is going to be huge. I don't mean electronics for the body though that is an application, but that as the resources used to create electronic components and the cost of energy rise the only viable solution is to copy the existing biological system.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Q. G. Pennyworth

There are always jobs for people in polymers and robots.

Suu

I know you said Boston area, but there is a hell of a lot of pharmaceutical and prosthetic companies in Rhode Island, but closer to the CT border in South County.  Nunnery Prosthetics is in North Kingstown. URI has the Immunology and Informatics lab at the Providence campus. There are definitely jobs.

And you know environmental science is huge in New England has a whole. You have everything from city parks to national parks within 50-100 miles of Boston.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: /b/earman on April 16, 2013, 08:41:58 AM
If you do not like doing handyman things,tinkering, the smell of wires,metal,grease, or have the obsession to just keep messing with things then skip engineering unless it's really easy for you, and care more about the dough. In which case make some serious bank then pursue passion etc...

Tom Araya was a medical therapist before joining Slayer. He used the dough to fund the band.

Definitely looking at the dough aspect. Villager and I have been together long enough that a nice paycheck will help things progress to the next stage.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Faust on April 16, 2013, 09:31:08 AM

You didn't hear it from me but bioelectronics is going to be huge. I don't mean electronics for the body though that is an application, but that as the resources used to create electronic components and the cost of energy rise the only viable solution is to copy the existing biological system.

That is a good thing to know. Knowing what will be in demand when I graduate will help immensely.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 16, 2013, 04:39:52 PM
There are always jobs for people in polymers and robots.

Robots would go under engineering I think. Polymers might be good.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on April 16, 2013, 05:03:53 PM
I know you said Boston area, but there is a hell of a lot of pharmaceutical and prosthetic companies in Rhode Island, but closer to the CT border in South County.  Nunnery Prosthetics is in North Kingstown. URI has the Immunology and Informatics lab at the Providence campus. There are definitely jobs.

And you know environmental science is huge in New England has a whole. You have everything from city parks to national parks within 50-100 miles of Boston.

I'm a little iffy about the pharmaceutical industry, though that is something worth considering. If the money was right I would consider employment outside of Boston, as long as it was still in Southern New England. I would probably have to move to Providence in that case, which wouldn't be a bad thing, since I could still go to Boston relatively easy whenever I wanted.

I might double major with environmental science, as I can see the demand for that only going up. Or, failing that as a minor.