News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Safe Spaces?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 18, 2013, 07:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on April 19, 2013, 01:02:52 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 19, 2013, 12:52:46 AM
Quote from: Cainad on April 18, 2013, 11:44:21 PM
One time, I tried to avert a conflict on PD.com

I woke up three days later stuffed in my own closet, smelling strongly of fish, and a very expensive exorcism bill taped to my door.

That was the fucking discount/student rate.  You have any idea how hard that shit is?

And then there's the overhead.  The hydraulic jack alone costs $125/day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and the work done was top-notch, but couldn't even get the Hardly-Any-Questions-Asked partial reimbursement that my plan is supposed to cover. Fucking bean counters fed me some bullshit line about "unreasonable obscenity policies."

They're always telling professionals how to do their fucking jobs.   :argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 19, 2013, 01:04:47 AM
Quote from: Cainad on April 19, 2013, 01:02:52 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 19, 2013, 12:52:46 AM
Quote from: Cainad on April 18, 2013, 11:44:21 PM
One time, I tried to avert a conflict on PD.com

I woke up three days later stuffed in my own closet, smelling strongly of fish, and a very expensive exorcism bill taped to my door.

That was the fucking discount/student rate.  You have any idea how hard that shit is?

And then there's the overhead.  The hydraulic jack alone costs $125/day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and the work done was top-notch, but couldn't even get the Hardly-Any-Questions-Asked partial reimbursement that my plan is supposed to cover. Fucking bean counters fed me some bullshit line about "unreasonable obscenity policies."

They're always telling professionals how to do their fucking jobs.   :argh!:

It all worked out in the end, though. I've already regained 40% of my color vision, and I haven't needed any time in the hyperbaric chamber in over a month. All's well that ends well.

LMNO

"Safe Space" is inherently temporary. It's a fragile bubble that is incredibly useful when needed. Overuse engenders suffocation and asshattery.

Lets face it-- we all need to bitch without recrimination sometimes. When we want to vent without explaining ourselves. Without thread jacking over minimal shit.

Then, we dust ourselves off, and get back into the ring.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on April 18, 2013, 08:28:34 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 18, 2013, 07:36:40 PM
I've always heard of "safe spaces" in the context that it is not a physical space, but a communication environment.

For example, a forum where it is not ok to be a man and post about getting emotional and crying would not be a safe space for that communication because people would mock and belittle that.

There are forums where being openly female or gay is not safe because people will harass you.

Safe spaces, in that context, exist both online and in face-to-face interactions, but they're not tied to a geographical location.

The Red and Black Cafe advertises itself as a safe space.

It certainly isn't safe from bad hygiene and shitty fashion choices.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on April 19, 2013, 07:19:30 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on April 18, 2013, 08:28:34 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 18, 2013, 07:36:40 PM
I've always heard of "safe spaces" in the context that it is not a physical space, but a communication environment.

For example, a forum where it is not ok to be a man and post about getting emotional and crying would not be a safe space for that communication because people would mock and belittle that.

There are forums where being openly female or gay is not safe because people will harass you.

Safe spaces, in that context, exist both online and in face-to-face interactions, but they're not tied to a geographical location.

The Red and Black Cafe advertises itself as a safe space.

It certainly isn't safe from bad hygiene and shitty fashion choices.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."