News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

O HAPPY DAY

Started by Junkenstein, April 08, 2013, 01:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Perhaps this is repost, but I liked this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher

I love this bit:

QuoteThe blunt, pathetic reality today is that a little old lady has died, who in the winter of her life had to water roses alone under police supervision. If you behave like there's no such thing as society, in the end there isn't. Her death must be sad for the handful of people she was nice to and the rich people who got richer under her stewardship. It isn't sad for anyone else. There are pangs of nostalgia, yes, because for me she's all tied up with Hi-De-Hi and Speak and Spell and Blockbusters and "follow the bear". What is more troubling is my inability to ascertain where my own selfishness ends and her neo-liberal inculcation begins. All of us that grew up under Thatcher were taught that it is good to be selfish, that other people's pain is not your problem, that pain is in fact a weakness and suffering is deserved and shameful. Perhaps there is resentment because the clemency and respect that are being mawkishly displayed now by some and haughtily demanded of the rest of us at the impending, solemn ceremonial funeral, are values that her government and policies sought to annihilate.

It has a little bit of that human frailty, the sorrow of being such a monster that in the end you die unloved and without community.

It is the kind of thing that makes me reflect that ultimately, it's not that we are glad she died, so much as sorry that she was ever alive in the first place. And that just makes me feel... heavy inside, and sad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Again, I have extremely mixed views on her life and death.

She was a monster.  Nobody outside of Parliament thinks differently...But she was a HUGE monster, a terra-stomping, 169% genuine BAD GUY, and all of our bad guys today are small.

Some Native American nation or other had a saying about how "you are judged by the strength of your enemies".  Might have been the Sioux, I don't know.  But anyway, the world might be better without her, but it's smaller.  It feels weird.  I'm not sure I like it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 12, 2013, 10:10:27 PM

She was a monster.  Nobody outside of Parliament thinks differently...But she was a HUGE monster, a terra-stomping, 169% genuine BAD GUY, and all of our bad guys today are small.

Some Native American nation or other had a saying about how "you are judged by the strength of your enemies".  Might have been the Sioux, I don't know.  But anyway, the world might be better without her, but it's smaller.  It feels weird.  I'm not sure I like it.

Well, now we have Putin.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 10:25:59 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 12, 2013, 10:10:27 PM

Well, now we have Putin.

Putin is a superhero.  He's off RIGHT NOW, smashing an Earth-bound meteor to bits.

LOOK GRATEFUL.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Has the GOP not started shitting itself about Hilary yet? I'd expect that the be the next obvious dem move to fuck them over. It'll probably spawn the same kind of feeling if it happened.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division