Started by Suu, April 23, 2013, 02:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

-

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on September 09, 2013, 06:51:55 PM
Quote from: Facemeat on September 09, 2013, 06:44:34 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 09, 2013, 06:40:21 PM
Yeah.  This song and dance was old under Bush and Clinton, but at least people went through the motions of pretending to disagree. 

Now, no-one gives a fuck.  And people wonder why the Man on a White Horse scenario is the one I predict for the US future.

I don't think it's that no one gives a fuck. I think it's that we're all so busy being spied on by our own government, being homeless, having our reproductive rights trampled, and dying of preventable diseases because we can't afford healthcare that it just feels hopeless to protest.

That's silly. If those kind of problems made people feel too overwhelmed to protest, then the entire world would be full of hopeless people who barely protest.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 09, 2013, 07:23:13 PM
Quote from: Facemeat on September 09, 2013, 06:44:34 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 09, 2013, 06:40:21 PM
Yeah.  This song and dance was old under Bush and Clinton, but at least people went through the motions of pretending to disagree. 

Now, no-one gives a fuck.  And people wonder why the Man on a White Horse scenario is the one I predict for the US future.

I don't think it's that no one gives a fuck. I think it's that we're all so busy being spied on by our own government, being homeless, having our reproductive rights trampled, and dying of preventable diseases because we can't afford healthcare that it just feels hopeless to protest.

To clarify: no-one in national politics gives a fuck.  Except maybe a couple of minor Congressthings.

It would be nice if some people in a position to be heard would scream about it a bit more.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

-

Junkenstein

It could be more basic than a power struggle. I imagine this kind of talk get lobbyist money flowing in all sorts of places to all manner of pockets. Make hay, sun's out etc.

War in a militarised economy is surely inevitable on a somewhat regular basis. I'd guess most of the power grabbing would be in various bills under discussion now. Shove through a "CW is totally NOT COOL" bill later when shit's underway. Probably some kind of concessions in there to arms manufacturers who are doing such good work "over there".

Aside, how many names is that for blackwater now? Taking bets on how long until it just becomes random acronyms.

QuoteNow, no-one gives a fuck.  And people wonder why the Man on a White Horse scenario is the one I predict for the US future.

Cain, quick display of ignorance. Could you expand on the above or point me to a relevant thread?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

-

Junkenstein

Got it. I doubt you'll see much actual deadlock here. I've been under the impression that the majority of people you'd need to convince are relatively easily swayed. There just feels there's like too much money that would stand to benefit from war at some point. Since when were the view of president or population ever important? Profits must increase at all costs.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 09, 2013, 08:01:31 PM
Think Caesar, Napoleon, Mussolini, Hitler.  Political deadlook leads to an authoritarian ruler who can override said parlysis to "solve problems" effectively.

This.  Dictators don't just suddenly appear, they are advertized for.

WANTED:  Someone to cut through the red tape and paralysis, and get simple tasks done.  Right candidate will know where the castor oil goes.  Experience a plus, but will bend over for the right candidate.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Russian President Vladamir Putin reluctantly agrees to save the day by acquiring an enormous stockpile of chemical weapons from the Assad regime.

In a development that may delay U.S. plans to conduct a surgical military strike on the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad, Russia has today offered to take all of its ally's chemical weapons stocks and put them somewhere "more secure," like Georgia.

In an interview with CBS News earlier today, President Assad extended an open hand to those threatening him with military action, saying that his regime was willing to cooperate with the international community in ensuring a "swift and transparent handover" of weapons to Russian President Vladamir Putin.

Putin, speaking to media about the proposal today, said he was reluctant to take Syria's stockpile of hundreds of tonnes of chemical weapons, but that Russia would do it for "the good of the international community."

"Obviously no country – and certainly not Russia – would want to deliberately seek out weapons of mass annihilation that could cause unspeakable catastrophe if used improperly, or at all," said Putin. "But in the interests of preventing a costly military confrontation – something that Russia, throughout its history, has always tried to avoid – we will, just this once, acquire an unnecessarily large amount of dangerous material."

Asked how many of Syria's weapons Russia would be willing to acquire, Putin replied "All of them."

He also appeared to reject calls from the United States to destroy the weapons once they were removed from Syrian hands, saying that it would be premature to destroy something that may be needed in future, perhaps as early as next week.

Putin assured reporters that all weapons stockpiles would be kept somewhere "really safe," such as "a big hole," or the gay community.

http://www.thecivilian.co.nz/russia-offers-to-take-all-syrian-chemical-weapons/

Cain

-

tyrannosaurus vex

Today's developments have been interesting, if only because I'm pretty sure I can almost hear them laughing all the way from the Kremlin.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

-

The Good Reverend Roger

So, Assad agreed to the Russian plan.

Kerry immediately came out and said how "we're not going to wait long".

Much butthurt in the beltway.  Putin wins.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 09:40:13 PM
So, Assad agreed to the Russian plan.

Kerry immediately came out and said how "we're not going to wait long".

Much butthurt in the beltway.  Putin wins.

Either that, or Obama really is concerned about chemical weapons and he was threatening a (light) beating in an effort to get Russia to actually do something besides block resolutions at the UNSC. That, of course, will be the official story. I'm still betting on "US goes hostile within a month," but the odds are cooling a bit.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Junkenstein

So everyone wins then. Russia's embarrassed the US, the US has bought some time, Assad sticks around and the rebels crack on.

Business as usual, call the weapons inspectors and let them commence looking in empty sheds and shrugging.